Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

gtx670 tri sli. bottleneck?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 22, 2013 1:45:48 AM

Hi guys. I am considering for an upgrade to 3xGTX670 way sli. I owe one at the minute. I still play most games on ultra settings but without msaa and ect. I would like to max out fully all new games and get at least 45fps on 1080p. The reason is that i can buy 2x gtx670 for as little as 350£. Not interested selling my one and buy gtx 780 or such(3x670 still be way faster). And would i bottleneck them. Power and heat no issue for me. So my specs :

i5-2500k - 4.8ghz@1.35v(could easy hit 5ghz- 5.2ghz@1.45v~ have good chip)
Thermaltake custom cooling idle temps - 30c, max 58c 24/7.
Termaltake armor lcs case full.
Asus P8Z68-v-pro/gen3
Corsair Vengeance 8GB ( 2x4GB) 1600 Mhz
Gigabite gtx670 oc 3x windfoce 2gb.
1280core/default mem.
Antec 1200W psu
2xOcz agility 3 128gb raid
2xWd blue cavier 500gb raid

Thnx for advises.

October 22, 2013 1:49:30 AM

I highly doubt you will have a bottle neck , that cpu is still awesome and you have a great overclock on it.
You are good to go, I wouldn't hesitate to add another 670 or 3 for that matter.
Hook it up and enjoy, it's going to be a beast!
m
0
l
October 22, 2013 2:07:05 AM

You might have a slight bottleneck. Your Chip seems to be a OCing chip , so try as much as you can. But IMHO buying 2 and selling 1 is far more better. 2GTX 670's will keep your rolling till the 2500K can keep up. You are far more better off selling the third one.
Another reason is that 3rd GPU will be on PCIe2.0x4 slot anyways.........................................................................
So yeah invest that money for WCing the GPU with a Universal block and add a 120mm rad for each GPU :D 
m
0
l
Related resources
October 22, 2013 2:08:47 AM

He already has the Thermaltake Armour LCS which is a liquid cooled case with a radiator
m
0
l
October 22, 2013 2:12:43 AM

monsta said:
He already has the Thermaltake LCS which is a liquid cooled case with a radiator


I said GPU
Universal blocks for GTX 670 + Passive cooling else where ( mofsets , VRMS ,etc + 120mm x2 rads + tubing + clamps + barbs and a pump maybe ( flow will be low )
m
0
l
October 22, 2013 2:15:39 AM

So his case will have 3 x Radiators in total?
Its a bit over the top
m
0
l
October 22, 2013 2:25:07 AM

I would sell one of the 670, and just run 2x in SLI. I think 3 will be overkill for 1080p, and will just create a lot more heat and draw a lot more power.
m
0
l
October 22, 2013 3:15:20 AM

RobCrezz said:
I would sell one of the 670, and just run 2x in SLI. I think 3 will be overkill for 1080p, and will just create a lot more heat and draw a lot more power.


I owe one. Thinking to buy another two for tri sli.
m
0
l
October 22, 2013 3:17:07 AM

demixon said:
RobCrezz said:
I would sell one of the 670, and just run 2x in SLI. I think 3 will be overkill for 1080p, and will just create a lot more heat and draw a lot more power.


I owe one. Thinking to buy another two for tri sli.


Yeah I know. I thought you meant you could only buy the other 2 as a pair.

Basically, I think 2 would be fine for 1080p, but by all means go for 3, I dont think your 2500k will hold you back.
m
0
l
October 22, 2013 3:17:41 AM

CommentariesAnd More said:
monsta said:
He already has the Thermaltake LCS which is a liquid cooled case with a radiator


I said GPU
Universal blocks for GTX 670 + Passive cooling else where ( mofsets , VRMS ,etc + 120mm x2 rads + tubing + clamps + barbs and a pump maybe ( flow will be low )


Not worth radiators and gpu blocks would cost nearly same price as them two gtx670's. And i have good air flow 3x120mm pullcold front case, 2x120mm rear exhaust, 2x120mm top inside case exhaust, all antec 1400rpm. And radiator is mounted on a top of my case outside so no heat from Processor.

m
0
l
October 22, 2013 5:14:10 AM

demixon said:
CommentariesAnd More said:
monsta said:
He already has the Thermaltake LCS which is a liquid cooled case with a radiator


I said GPU
Universal blocks for GTX 670 + Passive cooling else where ( mofsets , VRMS ,etc + 120mm x2 rads + tubing + clamps + barbs and a pump maybe ( flow will be low )


Not worth radiators and gpu blocks would cost nearly same price as them two gtx670's. And i have good air flow 3x120mm pullcold front case, 2x120mm rear exhaust, 2x120mm top inside case exhaust, all antec 1400rpm. And radiator is mounted on a top of my case outside so no heat from Processor.



Okay. But like I said , the 2500K will give up , not the 670s.
And the 2500K will bottleneck and so will the 2.0x4 slot on your mobo.......
Sell it if you get around 200bucks , or use it for a second rig.
if neither will happen use it.
m
0
l
October 22, 2013 5:16:56 AM

RobCrezz said:
I would sell one of the 670, and just run 2x in SLI. I think 3 will be overkill for 1080p, and will just create a lot more heat and draw a lot more power.


I agree and he says he has one 670 so going 2-way would be cheaper and 3-way would honestly be 2 much for 1080p now i could see if hes going surround/1440p but 2-way for that res would be the way to go
m
0
l
October 22, 2013 5:20:29 AM

demixon said:
CommentariesAnd More said:
monsta said:
He already has the Thermaltake LCS which is a liquid cooled case with a radiator


I said GPU
Universal blocks for GTX 670 + Passive cooling else where ( mofsets , VRMS ,etc + 120mm x2 rads + tubing + clamps + barbs and a pump maybe ( flow will be low )


Not worth radiators and gpu blocks would cost nearly same price as them two gtx670's. And i have good air flow 3x120mm pullcold front case, 2x120mm rear exhaust, 2x120mm top inside case exhaust, all antec 1400rpm. And radiator is mounted on a top of my case outside so no heat from Processor.


BTW I dont think it will take 350 bucks for 2 universal blocks , passive heatsinks and rads..........
If your using stock fans , replace 'em with CM XtraFlo's or fans with 2000+ RPM fans. The 3X fans will create a some negative heat which should be removed properly else motherboard or RAM might receive the heat esp if your using PC for more than 5 hrs simultaneously.
m
0
l
October 22, 2013 5:20:31 AM

demixon said:
CommentariesAnd More said:
monsta said:
He already has the Thermaltake LCS which is a liquid cooled case with a radiator


I said GPU
Universal blocks for GTX 670 + Passive cooling else where ( mofsets , VRMS ,etc + 120mm x2 rads + tubing + clamps + barbs and a pump maybe ( flow will be low )


Not worth radiators and gpu blocks would cost nearly same price as them two gtx670's. And i have good air flow 3x120mm pullcold front case, 2x120mm rear exhaust, 2x120mm top inside case exhaust, all antec 1400rpm. And radiator is mounted on a top of my case outside so no heat from Processor.


BTW I dont think it will take 350 bucks for 2 universal blocks , passive heatsinks and rads..........
If your using stock fans , replace 'em with CM XtraFlo's or fans with 2000+ RPM fans. The 3X fans will create a some negative heat which should be removed properly else motherboard or RAM might receive the heat esp if your using PC for more than 5 hrs simultaneously.
m
0
l
October 22, 2013 7:27:43 AM

CommentariesAnd More said:
demixon said:
CommentariesAnd More said:
monsta said:
He already has the Thermaltake LCS which is a liquid cooled case with a radiator


I said GPU
Universal blocks for GTX 670 + Passive cooling else where ( mofsets , VRMS ,etc + 120mm x2 rads + tubing + clamps + barbs and a pump maybe ( flow will be low )


Not worth radiators and gpu blocks would cost nearly same price as them two gtx670's. And i have good air flow 3x120mm pullcold front case, 2x120mm rear exhaust, 2x120mm top inside case exhaust, all antec 1400rpm. And radiator is mounted on a top of my case outside so no heat from Processor.


BTW I dont think it will take 350 bucks for 2 universal blocks , passive heatsinks and rads..........
If your using stock fans , replace 'em with CM XtraFlo's or fans with 2000+ RPM fans. The 3X fans will create a some negative heat which should be removed properly else motherboard or RAM might receive the heat esp if your using PC for more than 5 hrs simultaneously.



Coming to conclusion that i would be better off staying with just two gtx670s. But would they max out all latest games fully? Msaa and such 1080p.

Or should i sell all and upgrade to z87 or x79 with full water loop (cpu, gpu, mobo).

m
0
l
October 22, 2013 7:48:32 AM

Why not ? I would say get the 4820K + X79 mobo and The GTX 670s only. Nothing else. Add WC loop later , and invest in better mobo or CPU now.

P.S - Your CPU will keep up till the so called Haswell "Refresh". If you want something in the mainstream segment , it would be the way to go , although I find it senseless.
m
0
l
October 22, 2013 7:56:38 AM

I would wait at least another year before upgrading from the 2500k, to get the most from your original investment. Im going to upgrade around the time that skylake comes out. I would imagine by then Intel will be selling 8 or more Core CPUs in the standard desktop space.
m
0
l
October 22, 2013 7:59:34 AM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4820K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($304.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($233.49 @ Newegg)
Total: $538.48
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-22 10:58 EDT-0400)

Get something like this. A personal note , I would recommend getting mobo from a retailer , as you can get an idea of whether it has the IB-E enabled BIOS , or not.....
Also you might like to add more RAM.
m
0
l
October 22, 2013 8:04:14 AM

CommentariesAnd More said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4820K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($304.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($233.49 @ Newegg)
Total: $538.48
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-22 10:58 EDT-0400)

Get something like this. A personal note , I would recommend getting mobo from a retailer , as you can get an idea of whether it has the IB-E enabled BIOS , or not.....
Also you might like to add more RAM.


Why would you bother going for socket 2011 and not choosing a 6 core cpu?
m
0
l
October 22, 2013 8:23:12 AM

CommentariesAnd More said:
Why not ? I would say get the 4820K + X79 mobo and The GTX 670s only. Nothing else. Add WC loop later , and invest in better mobo or CPU now.

P.S - Your CPU will keep up till the so called Haswell "Refresh". If you want something in the mainstream segment , it would be the way to go , although I find it senseless.


I made my mind. I am getting second gtx670. Just dont see a need getting new cpu+ mobo. What i am gona gain is probably about 5-8fps. So i am gona push my 2500k till it dies :) . Maybe by the time new line processor and mobos came out :) 

m
0
l

Best solution

October 22, 2013 10:00:21 AM

demixon said:
CommentariesAnd More said:
Why not ? I would say get the 4820K + X79 mobo and The GTX 670s only. Nothing else. Add WC loop later , and invest in better mobo or CPU now.

P.S - Your CPU will keep up till the so called Haswell "Refresh". If you want something in the mainstream segment , it would be the way to go , although I find it senseless.


I made my mind. I am getting second gtx670. Just dont see a need getting new cpu+ mobo. What i am gona gain is probably about 5-8fps. So i am gona push my 2500k till it dies :) . Maybe by the time new line processor and mobos came out :) 



Same here i honestly dont see my self upgrading the i5-2500k for atleast 3-5 more years and i havent even overclocked it yet and still would be enough for gaming. With the 670 in SLi u will see more a performance gain and get better usage out of your money as well
Share
!