Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

7950 3gb vs 2gb 7870

Tags:
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 22, 2013 9:05:38 AM

most of you probably know which one is better, as do I but, I want to know is the 7950 really worth the extra £40, so let me fill you in:
I want a gaming pc which will be future proof (especially the graphics card)
I am going to get:
m5a78l-m motherboard
amd fx 6350 processor
1x8gb ram stick
600sxs 600w psu
1tb hard drive
gpu-???

So here's the issue, I was hell bent on getting the 7950, but I looked into these benchmarks here and was suprised. Here is the 7870 benchmarks:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/03/05/amd-radeon-...

7950 benchmarks:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2012/01/31/am...

as you can see the 7950 is running it at only 3 fps more, so is it really worth it?

I plan on getting this 7950:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/DirectCU-Graphics-Express-Displ...

or this 7870:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-11199-19-20G-CrossFire...



so is it worth it, and what fps would you expect with both of these cards:
low
medium
high
ultra (withiut aa or af etc.)
ultra (maxed out completely)
a reply asap is needed a I need the parts to build and need to make a decision soon!

More about : 7950 3gb 2gb 7870

October 22, 2013 9:11:35 AM

The 7950 has more overclocking headroom, and if a game uses more than 2GB VRAM, that performance difference will also increase dramatically.

But I'd recommend getting the 7870 and using the extra money to fix other aspects of your build, like the suspect power supply, the crummy motherboard (using the ancient 760G chipset), and the single channel memory configuration.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 22, 2013 9:12:06 AM

i would personally suggest a 3gb card over the 2gb as games are starting to use more ram in the card such as the battlefield 4 beta which hopefully they will optimize it better as its maxing my 670 ftw on high and ultra :p  as far as performance wise i cant help much there as im not super familiar with amd.
m
0
l
October 22, 2013 9:16:52 AM

first of all.. that motherboard is seriously outdated!
using an old chipset.... i dont even think it will support the fx series without flashing bios first

get the Asus m5a97 mobo

second, the fx6300 is the same as the 6350, so either drop down to the 6300 or add $20 and go up to the 8320

also, if you only have 1 stick of RAM, it will operate in only single channel....

is the 7950 worth it? well, if essentially teh same card but with more memory... so if you're only gaming at 1080p, then you will not need it.
BF4 is like the first game to really use 2gb of video memory... and at 1080p it's using almost exactly 2gb based on early beta reviews.

as far as what FPS to get... that ENTIRELY depends on the game.
at BF4, you'll be looking at playing on medium 60fps.
m
0
l
October 22, 2013 9:19:17 AM

7950 Definitely.. I don't know about these benchmarks but it is 5% less performance than a 7970.. and that Asus DCUII or that Vapor-X can EASILY reach the performance of a 7970 Ghz with a slight OC... I currently own 2 7950 Vapor-X and they are a BEAST in performance and temps.
Yes it IS worth the extra money.
m
0
l
October 22, 2013 10:08:21 AM

lowriderflow said:
first of all.. that motherboard is seriously outdated!
using an old chipset.... i dont even think it will support the fx series without flashing bios first

get the Asus m5a97 mobo

second, the fx6300 is the same as the 6350, so either drop down to the 6300 or add $20 and go up to the 8320

also, if you only have 1 stick of RAM, it will operate in only single channel....

is the 7950 worth it? well, if essentially teh same card but with more memory... so if you're only gaming at 1080p, then you will not need it.
BF4 is like the first game to really use 2gb of video memory... and at 1080p it's using almost exactly 2gb based on early beta reviews.

as far as what FPS to get... that ENTIRELY depends on the game.
at BF4, you'll be looking at playing on medium 60fps.


Okay, how does this system sound to run bf4 on ultra now?
GPU-http://www.amazon.co.uk/DirectCU-Graphics-Express-Displ...
Motherboard- http://www.amazon.co.uk/M5A97-R2-0-Motherboard-PCI-Expr...
CPU-http://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-FX8320-Edition-4-0GHz-Socke...
8gb ram-http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CML8GX3M2A1866C9R-Venge...
psu-http://www.amazon.co.uk/ACE-600W-PSU-12cm-Red/dp/B005FW... (or is this too bad, it looks a little sketchy tbh)

m
0
l
October 22, 2013 10:18:07 AM

That power supply is fireworks and magic smoke waiting to happen.
m
0
l
October 22, 2013 10:24:09 AM

I'd try for a system like this (with the Asus 7950 instead if you like):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor (£107.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£71.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (£54.20 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (£198.98 @ Dabs)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.93 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £483.06
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-22 18:23 BST+0100)

If it's a bit too expensive you can always take the FX-6300 instead, with a good overclock that's still going to do alright.
m
0
l
October 22, 2013 10:30:51 AM

Sakkura said:
That power supply is fireworks and magic smoke waiting to happen.


then he gets a new graphics card, and a show
m
0
l
October 22, 2013 10:39:28 AM

Sakkura said:
I'd try for a system like this (with the Asus 7950 instead if you like):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor (£107.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£71.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (£54.20 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (£198.98 @ Dabs)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.93 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £483.06
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-22 18:23 BST+0100)

If it's a bit too expensive you can always take the FX-6300 instead, with a good overclock that's still going to do alright.


Would the system be okay if i stuck with the m5a97 mobo and got the rest of it?
m
0
l
October 22, 2013 10:50:42 AM

Yeah, the M5A97 is just not suitable for overclocking since it has 4 + 2 power phases instead of the 8 + 2 in the Gigabyte board.
m
0
l
October 23, 2013 5:14:35 PM

rolli59 said:
Except the Gigabyte UD3 board has to be ver 4.0 VRM issues on the older versions. The Asus board is approved for overclock http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboards-vrm-...

Oh I am so confused! I have no idea which mobo to get, I seriously need to decide on this then I can get the parts. Can someone please give me a detailed answer as to which mobo will last a good 4 years, the gigabyte 970a or the m5a97l and which one do I need for overclocking?
m
0
l
October 23, 2013 5:14:36 PM

rolli59 said:
Except the Gigabyte UD3 board has to be ver 4.0 VRM issues on the older versions. The Asus board is approved for overclock http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboards-vrm-...

Oh I am so confused! I have no idea which mobo to get, I seriously need to decide on this then I can get the parts. Can someone please give me a detailed answer as to which mobo will last a good 4 years, the gigabyte 970a or the m5a97l and which one do I need for overclocking?
m
0
l
October 23, 2013 7:14:13 PM

The Asus M5A97 is a good board and will overclock.
m
0
l
October 24, 2013 12:04:03 AM

rolli59 said:
The Asus M5A97 is a good board and will overclock.


I'm just sceptical because nearly everyone has been saying not the get it and take a look at the asus M5A99X
m
0
l
October 24, 2013 6:36:13 AM

Whatisgoingonherethen said:
rolli59 said:
The Asus M5A97 is a good board and will overclock.


I'm just sceptical because nearly everyone has been saying not the get it and take a look at the asus M5A99X


M5A99X is a better board but did you look at this http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboards-vrm-...
m
0
l
!