My specs:
CPU: AMD FX-8350
Cooler: Corsair h100i push config atm
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2
RAM: g skill 16gb 1600
GPU: AMD 5770
PSU: Corsair ax1200i
Case: Corsair 400r

CPU runs 75 degrees (Celsius) on prime95 on stock 4ghz, h100i at max reduces to 70 can't overclock past 4.2 else hits 90(shutdown). Runs 16 on idle. From 21.0 CPU ratio voltage can go to 1.35v and 85 degrees with prime95 first stress test option.

Used YouTube beginner guide and pile driver/bulldozer on ocn.

Is this my max OC or are there other things I can do to get higher clocks?

Solution
You should definitely be able to OC that chip to more than 4.2 GHz but gity and SB are right, that temp is way too high. Three things you need to check. First, double check all your fan placements to ensure you're getting maximum airflow both throughout the case and particularly through your radiator. Two, thoroughly clean your CPU and reapply the thermal paste. Third, ensure that you have all three "fans" for the cooler plugged in, two for the push-pull and the last for the coolant pump.

If you've done all that and it's still running that hot then it's not out of the realm of possibility that your cooler is faulty.

gity69

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
For starters your temps are really high (dangerously so). 60 C should be max upper limit. You should check your cooling configuration fan fan controller thermal paste etc. before doing anymore stress testing. Also where are you getting your temps from 16 to 70 seems quite a range. I have same chip after market air and it runs 33-35 C idle and hit 55 max under stress.

Reversed

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
It's using the thermal paste that comes preapplied on the h100i temps from core temp and corsair link app.

Sad thing is I'm at work right now and the stress test is going at home 4.2ghz 1.35v 85 degrees when I left home. 9 hours till I go home.

Reversed

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013

temps from core temp and corsair link app.

gity69

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Yes edited didn't see that last part on first read through apologies. I notice that 85 F is close to 30 C which would not be out of the realm of possibility at the beginning of a stress test. Is it possible one of your temp sources is in F and the other in C?

No2rdame

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
You should definitely be able to OC that chip to more than 4.2 GHz but gity and SB are right, that temp is way too high. Three things you need to check. First, double check all your fan placements to ensure you're getting maximum airflow both throughout the case and particularly through your radiator. Two, thoroughly clean your CPU and reapply the thermal paste. Third, ensure that you have all three "fans" for the cooler plugged in, two for the push-pull and the last for the coolant pump.

If you've done all that and it's still running that hot then it's not out of the realm of possibility that your cooler is faulty.

Solution

Reversed

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013

Both CoreTemps and Corsair Link are showing Degree Celsius, since I live in Australia and that's the only temperature I measure with.

The whole rig is completely new except for the GPU(5770) which is just a placeholder until the new AMD R9 290X GPUs are released.

I have two intake fans in the front, 1 exhaust at the back (included with 400r) and I have the h100i radiator mount on top with the fans attached to its bottom (I tried putting fans on top for pull config, but screws weren't long enough), so the fans are acting as an exhaust push air out, I didn't like the idea of having the radiator as intake as hot air naturally rises and that would mean 4 intakes and 1 exhaust.