Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

is this a good build for a gaming computer

Last response: in Components
Share
October 22, 2013 10:43:59 PM

Suggest Anything.

a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2013 10:50:09 PM

whats your budget? and change the PSU. for 54$ a corsair CX 600 would be much more reliable.
m
0
l
October 22, 2013 10:54:41 PM

thasan1 said:
whats your budget? and change the PSU. for 54$ a corsair CX 600 would be much more reliable.


1600 - 1700 , cause of shiity taxes and GST + PST lol

Also thanks for the tip on the psu
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2013 11:03:46 PM

@liridonx92 1600-1700 USD or AUSD?
m
0
l
October 22, 2013 11:09:03 PM

thasan1 said:
@liridonx92 1600-1700 USD or AUSD?


CAD. Canadian..

I got the price down to $1,531.81 with tax and shipping.. and added that PSU u said but new egg only offers the CORSAIR CX600M 600W for around 74.99 not the 54.99
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 76 à CPUs
a c 87 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
October 22, 2013 11:23:11 PM

-Added an SSD plus a 1T HDD.
-Recommending the R9 280x for graphics over the 670 you have selected. It is $50 cheaper, and a little more powerful.
-Gave you a better PSU, this one is made by seasonic, probably the best PSU maker right now.
-Went with haswell build instead of ivy bridge, latest socket type.
-included a dvd drive, not sure if you wanted one.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.79 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.79 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($73.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.75 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($329.99 @ NCIX)
Case: NZXT Guardian 921 RB ATX Mid Tower Case ($87.63 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($26.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($97.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $1330.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-23 02:17 EDT-0400)

This leaves you with some extra in your budget.

1. You can upgrade your motherboard to the Z87-pro or the Asus maximus VI HERO
2. Upgrade to the i7-4770K if you want.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 192 à CPUs
a c 471 V Motherboard
a c 85 } Memory
October 22, 2013 11:26:29 PM

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1S9I7
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1S9I7/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1S9I7/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($337.79 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.79 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($60.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.75 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($329.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($84.99 @ Memory Express)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($57.34 @ DirectCanada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) ($109.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $1360.60
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-23 02:26 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
October 22, 2013 11:31:25 PM

jimthenagual said:
-Added an SSD plus a 1T HDD.
-Recommending the R9 280x for graphics over the 670 you have selected. It is $50 cheaper, and a little more powerful.
-Gave you a better PSU, this one is made by seasonic, probably the best PSU maker right now.
-Went with haswell build instead of ivy bridge, latest socket type.
-included a dvd drive, not sure if you wanted one.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.79 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.79 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($73.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.75 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($329.99 @ NCIX)
Case: NZXT Guardian 921 RB ATX Mid Tower Case ($87.63 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($26.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($97.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $1330.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-23 02:17 EDT-0400)

This leaves you with some extra in your budget.

1. You can upgrade your motherboard to the Z87-pro or the Asus maximus VI HERO
2. Upgrade to the i7-4770K if you want.


Thats looking Definitely better in some areas :) 

Im building this for Arma 2 : operation & arma 3 , So I will probably go for the i7 since the game is CPU intensive. Thanks APPRECIATE IT !
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 192 à CPUs
a c 471 V Motherboard
a c 85 } Memory
October 22, 2013 11:32:47 PM

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1S9LP
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1S9LP/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1S9LP/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.79 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.79 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($60.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:D T01ACA 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($87.79 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($329.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($91.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($57.34 @ DirectCanada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) ($109.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $1402.63
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-23 02:31 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 76 à CPUs
a c 87 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
October 22, 2013 11:33:27 PM

No big issue, but just note, the case you selected doesn't have a USB 3.0 port, only USB 2.0. For some that's an issue, for some it doesn't matter. You'll have plenty of USB 3.0 ports in the back (depending on which motherboard you choose).

Updated pcpartpicker with i7-4770K and 16Gb ram


PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($337.79 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.79 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($136.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.75 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($329.99 @ NCIX)
Case: NZXT Guardian 921 RB ATX Mid Tower Case ($87.63 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($26.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($97.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $1491.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-23 02:39 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
October 22, 2013 11:44:03 PM

jimthenagual said:
No big issue, but just note, the case you selected doesn't have a USB 3.0 port, only USB 2.0. For some that's an issue, for some it doesn't matter. You'll have plenty of USB 3.0 ports in the back (depending on which motherboard you choose).

Updated pcpartpicker with i7-4770K and 16Gb ram
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($337.79 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.79 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($136.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.75 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($329.99 @ NCIX)
Case: NZXT Guardian 921 RB ATX Mid Tower Case ($87.63 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($26.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($97.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $1491.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-23 02:39 EDT-0400)


now im not sure about the processor because your mother board suggestion is 1150 .. is 1155 a major difference for games that require lots of cpu
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 76 à CPUs
a c 87 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
October 22, 2013 11:50:01 PM

The performance difference between the 1150/1155 is minor, but the 1150 does outperform the 1155. You can build a solid system using the old 1155 socket but I'm suggesting you build on the 1150 because it is the newer of the two, and theoretically will be more future proof, assuming intel releases more cpu's on this socket.
m
0
l
October 22, 2013 11:53:23 PM

jimthenagual said:
The performance difference between the 1150/1155 is minor, but the 1150 does outperform the 1155. You can build a solid system using the old 1155 socket but I'm suggesting you build on the 1150 because it is the newer of the two, and theoretically will be more future proof, assuming intel releases more cpu's on this socket.


Yup, Right on the money, I think the haswell processor you mentioned ( 4770k i7 ) in combination with the asus z87 will probably be a great match. :D 

- Its a damn shame newegg is out of stock on the R9's that was a solid deal for 3G.... Might have to wait around.

m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 76 à CPUs
a c 87 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
October 23, 2013 12:07:57 AM

I see what you mean about arma3 being cpu intensive. Here is an article where they benchmark the i7-4770K at various overclocks. You may be able to save yourself some money though. If you scroll down that page lower, they didn't test the i5-4670K (haswell) unfortunately, but they did test the i5-3570K, and at stock speeds it is only 2fps slower than the i7-4770K. The i5 keeps up very well. You may want to consider the i5-4670K and use that extra money to get an even better GPU. Food for thought.

http://www.techspot.com/review/712-arma-3-benchmarks/pa...
Share
October 23, 2013 12:21:51 AM

jimthenagual said:
I see what you mean about arma3 being cpu intensive. Here is an article where they benchmark the i7-4770K at various overclocks. You may be able to save yourself some money though. If you scroll down that page lower, they didn't test the i5-4670K (haswell) unfortunately, but they did test the i5-3570K, and at stock speeds it is only 2fps slower than the i7-4770K. The i5 keeps up very well. You may want to consider the i5-4670K and use that extra money to get an even better GPU. Food for thought.

http://www.techspot.com/review/712-arma-3-benchmarks/pa...


Id rather stick with latest processors just for future things. although theres better gpus, Id imagine the R9 is a great Gpu running many games smoothly at good frames

m
0
l
!