Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

First Build Ever (any suggestions are welcome)

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • Amazon
  • Components
  • Build
Last response: in Components
Share
October 23, 2013 12:55:19 AM

Hi gurus,

Planning to build this mainly for entertainment (Steam, watching movies, etc.)

PCPartPicker part list: http://fr.pcpartpicker.com/p/1SalZ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://fr.pcpartpicker.com/p/1SalZ/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://fr.pcpartpicker.com/p/1SalZ/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (€186.19 @ Amazon France)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard (€107.30 @ Amazon France)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (€73.95 @ Amazon France)
Storage: Crucial M4 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (€69.99 @ Amazon France)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€52.43 @ Amazon France)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (€285.29 @ Amazon France)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (White) Mini ITX Tower Case (€79.39 @ Amazon France)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (€78.35 @ Amazon France)
Monitor: Asus VX238H 23.0" Monitor (€159.90 @ Amazon France)
Total: €1092.79

Few questions:
1. Is it necessary to get the Z77? I don't think I'll OC it, but on the other hand I'm thinking to make it more future proof.
2. If I do want to OC, will I need to get a CPU cooler? Is it something that you can add easily later on after using the PC for say a year or two? Will I need a larger PSU then?
3. Another future-proofing question, is it worth it to get 16GB RAM instead? I notice that a lot of people say 8GB is totally sufficient since there won't be much multi-tasking if it's for gaming or watching videos.
4. I tried to google before and it seems that this PSU can fit the case, but then I read in AnandTech that for this case we should get PSU of 140mm. This PSU is 120mm (I think). Am I doing the right thing here?
5. My initial budget was EUR1k, but then it seems I already overshot it :s Any suggestions where I can cut off 90 euro? I know it includes that Asus monitor, but I don't even have any monitor to begin with (only a 13" laptop) and this monitor has great reviews plus integrated speakers. My first idea was to go for Radeon 7870 instead. Is this a good idea? Or should I go for "Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black)" instead for the current case? But then the Prodigy looks so good. I'm lost...
6. In general, are PC components something that you can sell pretty easily in the future? How much do you guys expect I will lose in terms of $? Just in case, I decide to upgrade something a year later or so.

Many thanks for the helps, cheers :) 

More about : build suggestions

October 23, 2013 1:12:20 AM

I would change GPU to a GTX 760/670 as they perform better than 7970 (non ghz edition) and can be found for cheaper. You can also switch cpu to Intel Core i5-3350P (P=no intel hd gpu for lower cost) or the FX-6300 for even less.


m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2013 1:29:18 AM

igesta said:
1. Is it necessary to get the Z77? I don't think I'll OC it, but on the other hand I'm thinking to make it more future proof.

No; it is not. Some people don't like the idea of overclocking and I will respect that. You can also opt for a cheaper FX CPU route from AMD like the FX-8350. It has 8 cores, which can be very useful if you are a heavy multi-tasker and in multi-monitor setup. The i5 is still a stronger chip for gaming, but don't rule out the FX-8350. It is still a very good CPU for gaming.


igesta said:
2. If I do want to OC, will I need to get a CPU cooler? Is it something that you can add easily later on after using the PC for say a year or two? Will I need a larger PSU then?

Yes; you will want an aftermarket CPU cooler. The stock one will not handle overclocking. You can swap out the stock CPU cooler with an aftermarket one at any point in time. Just make sure you clean the thermal compound off the CPU with 99% Isopropyl alcohol and a lint-free cloth. You can use coffee filters as lint-free cloth. You will have to re-apply thermal paste after you clean it thoroughly. 620W is more than sufficient for a single HD 7950 and with plenty of room to overclock. So only upgrade if you plan to run multi-GPUs. Again, you can swap out the PSU so there's no rush. But it's always best to have it at hand so you don't have to waste more money for the upgrade later. More importantly, play to your budget now and worry about the future later. Your plans may change in the future.


igesta said:
3. Another future-proofing question, is it worth it to get 16GB RAM instead? I notice that a lot of people say 8GB is totally sufficient since there won't be much multi-tasking if it's for gaming or watching videos.

8GB is more than enough. Most games won't use up the full 8GB. So you will have room to have other apps running. And should it use up more, you do have swap, so while other apps will be slower to re-load, it's not like it'll matter because you're likely playing a game so your attention isn't on your other apps. Once you exit the game, RAM will cleared for the game and the system will transfer swap back to RAM. But any other apps will never fill up 8GB. But there's nothing wrong aiming for 16GB. I personally run 2x4GB (8GB total) and have not had issues.


igesta said:
4. I tried to google before and it seems that this PSU can fit the case, but then I read in AnandTech that for this case we should get PSU of 140mm. This PSU is 120mm (I think). Am I doing the right thing here?

The BitFenix Prodigy does have a limit to how big of a PSU will fit into its case. Unlike most towers were the PSU slot is freely open and so it can be as big as it wants, the BitFenix Prodigy has a partially enclosed wall so if your PSU is too wide, it won't fit because there is a wall blocking it. As long as your PSU is within its limits, you will be perfectly fine.


igesta said:
5. My initial budget was EUR1k, but then it seems I already overshot it :s Any suggestions where I can cut off 90 euro? I know it includes that Asus monitor, but I don't even have any monitor to begin with (only a 13" laptop) and this monitor has great reviews plus integrated speakers. My first idea was to go for Radeon 7870 instead. Is this a good idea? Or should I go for "Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black)" instead for the current case? But then the Prodigy looks so good. I'm lost...

Definitely consider FX-8350 + Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0. I would also up the SSD to 120GB. 64GB is cutting it close unless you plan to run Linux. Windows take up a lot of space.


igesta said:
6. In general, are PC components something that you can sell pretty easily in the future? How much do you guys expect I will lose in terms of $? Just in case, I decide to upgrade something a year later or so.

Depends how much you sell it for. Look up pricing on what the component is at that point and then aim for a percentage lower because it is used. Also, overclocked components do have their lifespan decreased, so I would factor that in as well.

I hope this helps.
Share
Related resources
October 23, 2013 1:30:23 AM

just take a basic version of z77 mobo without wifi cause that sure adds some cost in it. change the monitor to some 21inch should be enough with 1080p hdmi. perhaps just take away the ssd and put those money into buying a hd 7970ghz. lastly, with a cm evo cpu cooler you should be fine with some overclock althought not something too high
m
0
l
October 23, 2013 2:25:43 AM

Wow, so many points for consideration. So, I've made up these changes, pls lemme know if it's good

PCPartPicker part list: http://fr.pcpartpicker.com/p/1SbfS

1. CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (€161.60 @ Amazon France)
Yep, I don't think I'll ever OC. This is even cheaper that i5-3350P, but I think both are close and still good for gaming.

2. Motherboard: ASRock B75M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard (€75.76 @ Amazon France)
Remove the WIFI from mobo and went for this cheaper one. It only has 1 x SATA 6gb/s though, but I only have 1 x SSD so should be fine I think.

3. Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (€229.79 @ Amazon France)
Much cheaper than 7950 but the reviews said both cards' performance are almost identical.

4. Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (€96.50 @ Amazon France)
I have enough dough to upgrade my SSD to 128GB, happy! :D 

Total cost is €1007.67 now. I can live with that or just wait for some Amazon deals.

Thank you all!
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2013 6:28:35 AM

That looks good. I would personally choose the black case over the white one.
m
0
l
!