Solved

How to fix the screen tearing?

I've recently bought new GPU (MSI AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB) but in some games (like Far Cry 3,Outlast) i get horrible screen tearing.... When i turn "vsync" on,it kinda fixes it,but i get enough lag to interrupt the gaming experience. So is there a way to fix it without enabling vsync? :)

My Specs:

CPU -AMD Athlon (II) X4 641 Quad 2.8GHz
RAM - 8GB
GPU - AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB
29 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about fix screen tearing
  1. Resolution? Monitor? If its 120Hz or higher does it have a 120Hz or higher video cable?
  2. Immaculate said:
    Resolution? Monitor? If its 120Hz or higher does it have a 120Hz or higher video cable?


    I'm playing games on 1600x900 resolution 75 Hz. LCD Aos monitor.
  3. Immaculate said:
    Resolution? Monitor? If its 120Hz or higher does it have a 120Hz or higher video cable?


    Is there a fix without enabling vsync? please help
    1600x900 60Hz :(
  4. Turn on Triple Buffering with VSync on and see if that works.
  5. There is no way to stop tearing without V-sync. G-sync, in a few months, will be the first alternative to V-sync, but will require special hardware in the monitor.

    If V-sync is causing a lot of slow down and lag, you may need to use triple buffering, if it is an option. For DirectX, you may have an option to increase "Maximum Prerendered frames", and set that to 2. Either way, you may get some juddering if you cannot maintain your refresh rate. You may need to also turn down settings for a better experience and you may also find turning the monitor down to 60hz to be helpful in reaching your monitors refresh rate with your FPS.
  6. 17seconds said:
    Turn on Triple Buffering with VSync on and see if that works.


    It Doesnt work :(
  7. bystander said:
    There is no way to stop tearing without V-sync. G-sync, in a few months, will be the first alternative to V-sync, but will require special hardware in the monitor.

    If V-sync is causing a lot of slow down and lag, you may need to use triple buffering, if it is an option. For DirectX, you may have an option to increase "Maximum Prerendered frames", and set that to 2. Either way, you may get some juddering if you cannot maintain your refresh rate. You may need to also turn down settings for a better experience and you may also find turning the monitor down to 60hz to be helpful in reaching your monitors refresh rate with your FPS.


    It doesn't seems to work :(.. But what if i get a new cable? is this gonna fix the screen tearing? I'm currently using DVI-I to VGA cable,but what if i use DVI to DVI? My monitor got 2 ports.. VGA and DVI-D,my GPU has DVI-I and HDMI. What if i use DVI-D to DVI-I (dunno if that kind of cable even exist) will fix the problem? i remember i've tried my PC with a 28inch TV with HDMI Ports,and i couldnt see any Screen tearing,but somehow the quality was bad...
  8. 120Hz monitor doesn't fix screen tearing although it only minimizes it...vsync will completely fix it but requires additional workload from the gpu...
  9. Is DVI-D - HDMI Cable gonna fix the screen tearing problem?
  10. Ludogorets said:
    Is DVI-D - HDMI Cable gonna fix the screen tearing problem?


    no
  11. a1blaster said:
    120Hz monitor doesn't fix screen tearing although it only minimizes it...vsync will completely fix it but requires additional workload from the gpu...


    When i've used my old GPU GT 430 2GB,i couldnt notice any screen tearing... now ive bought AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB and got lots of tearing.
  12. Ludogorets said:
    a1blaster said:
    120Hz monitor doesn't fix screen tearing although it only minimizes it...vsync will completely fix it but requires additional workload from the gpu...


    When i've used my old GPU GT 430 2GB,i couldnt notice any screen tearing... now ive bought AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB and got lots of tearing.


    I think that is because your FPS is higher than your monitor refresh rate with that GPU. V-sync is the only way to deal with it unless you can turn the resolution up.
  13. Ludogorets said:
    a1blaster said:
    120Hz monitor doesn't fix screen tearing although it only minimizes it...vsync will completely fix it but requires additional workload from the gpu...


    When i've used my old GPU GT 430 2GB,i couldnt notice any screen tearing... now ive bought AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB and got lots of tearing.


    7850 is a 2012 card and 430 is a 2010 card...you need to update bios
  14. a1blaster said:
    Ludogorets said:
    a1blaster said:
    120Hz monitor doesn't fix screen tearing although it only minimizes it...vsync will completely fix it but requires additional workload from the gpu...


    When i've used my old GPU GT 430 2GB,i couldnt notice any screen tearing... now ive bought AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB and got lots of tearing.


    7850 is a 2012 card and 430 is a 2010 card...you need to update bios


    And How can i do that ? :)
  15. Ronaldspiers said:
    Ludogorets said:
    a1blaster said:
    120Hz monitor doesn't fix screen tearing although it only minimizes it...vsync will completely fix it but requires additional workload from the gpu...


    When i've used my old GPU GT 430 2GB,i couldnt notice any screen tearing... now ive bought AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB and got lots of tearing.


    I think that is because your FPS is higher than your monitor refresh rate with that GPU. V-sync is the only way to deal with it unless you can turn the resolution up.



    Hmm v-sync causes lots of mouse lag,isn't there a way to stop that lag caused by the v-sync? ain't there any programs,or drivers that can do that?
  16. Ludogorets said:
    Ronaldspiers said:
    Ludogorets said:
    a1blaster said:
    120Hz monitor doesn't fix screen tearing although it only minimizes it...vsync will completely fix it but requires additional workload from the gpu...


    When i've used my old GPU GT 430 2GB,i couldnt notice any screen tearing... now ive bought AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB and got lots of tearing.


    I think that is because your FPS is higher than your monitor refresh rate with that GPU. V-sync is the only way to deal with it unless you can turn the resolution up.



    Hmm v-sync causes lots of mouse lag,isn't there a way to stop that lag caused by the v-sync? ain't there any programs,or drivers that can do that?

    That's what Nvidia's Adaptive VSync is for. It only turns on VSync at framerates above 60, so there is no mouse lag. Triple buffering is supposed to help as well, but only on OpenGL games.
  17. 17seconds said:
    Ludogorets said:
    Ronaldspiers said:
    Ludogorets said:
    a1blaster said:
    120Hz monitor doesn't fix screen tearing although it only minimizes it...vsync will completely fix it but requires additional workload from the gpu...


    When i've used my old GPU GT 430 2GB,i couldnt notice any screen tearing... now ive bought AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB and got lots of tearing.


    I think that is because your FPS is higher than your monitor refresh rate with that GPU. V-sync is the only way to deal with it unless you can turn the resolution up.



    Hmm v-sync causes lots of mouse lag,isn't there a way to stop that lag caused by the v-sync? ain't there any programs,or drivers that can do that?

    That's what Nvidia's Adaptive VSync is for. It only turns on VSync at framerates above 60, so there is no mouse lag. Triple buffering is supposed to help as well, but only on OpenGL games.

    Yeah i know that Nvidia adaptive VSync does that,but my GPU is AMD not NVIDIA :(
  18. Yeah i know that Nvidia adaptive VSync does that,but my GPU is AMD not NVIDIA :(



    Hi! I had the same issue with this when i upgraded from my 550ti to a EVGA geforce gtx 760 2gb . I had a 60hz monitor with VGA only. So i figured i would try to connect the computer to my tv via HDMI and the horizontal lines were gone! My tv is 39". 1920x 1080p. Nothing special. But hey it worked! Good luck if you havn't already solved this.
  19. This is a rather old thread to be bringing back. Though to answer Ludogorets question, use RadionPro, it has an adaptive v-sync option, by another name.
  20. Its because you use vga to dvi, or any other cables dvi - hdmi.
    Solution is that you use vga - vga, or dvi -dvi and you will not have any flickers and tearing.
  21. Best answer
    srbfantom94 said:
    Its because you use vga to dvi, or any other cables dvi - hdmi.
    Solution is that you use vga - vga, or dvi -dvi and you will not have any flickers and tearing.


    Flickering is different than tearing. Tearing is not fixed by anything but V-sync, and now G-sync (in gaming). Freesync is coming soon. Cables have nothing to do with it.

    And why is this thread continuing to be resurrected. Bad cables can cause some flickering and possibly lines, but that is not tearing.
  22. bystander said:
    srbfantom94 said:
    Its because you use vga to dvi, or any other cables dvi - hdmi.
    Solution is that you use vga - vga, or dvi -dvi and you will not have any flickers and tearing.


    Flickering is different than tearing. Tearing is not fixed by anything but V-sync, and now G-sync (in gaming). Freesync is coming soon. Cables have nothing to do with it.

    And why is this thread continuing to be resurrected. Bad cables can cause some flickering and possibly lines, but that is not tearing.


    bystander said:
    srbfantom94 said:
    Its because you use vga to dvi, or any other cables dvi - hdmi.
    Solution is that you use vga - vga, or dvi -dvi and you will not have any flickers and tearing.


    Flickering is different than tearing. Tearing is not fixed by anything but V-sync, and now G-sync (in gaming). Freesync is coming soon. Cables have nothing to do with it.

    And why is this thread continuing to be resurrected. Bad cables can cause some flickering and possibly lines, but that is not tearing.


    I'm sorry,I've forgot to pick a solution :( Anyway,bystander is right... I had lots of Flickering,when I used VGA cable but now for months im with HDMI cable and the Flickering is gone :), according to Tearing,I've been searching for years a way to fix it,without the mouse lag,thats caused by Vsync, and found only 1 solution,that works great so far. It's a program called D3DOverrider (Google It) But it seems that it works only in old games,like AC4 Black Flag,FC3..etc news like Unity,FC4 probably wont work (Not tested)
  23. The only solution I have found is to enable Vsync (triple buffered) and ALSO to limit your fps to 1 below your monitor's refresh rate. My monitor is 60hz so I limit my fps in game to 59fps using console. This should resolve the tearing and mouse lag.
  24. Ive got a way to make it less noticeable. If you have a monitor or tv connected to the pc with hdmi try and look for a game mode or a pc dvi mode. It reduces the screentearibg alot. It will not be away completely as that will only be possible with vsync but it will make it far less noticeable.
  25. I have a solution for you. Just enable VSYNC and set your fps to 60 trough msi afterburner after these tearing and input lag is gone!!!
  26. Ludogorets said:
    bystander said:
    There is no way to stop tearing without V-sync. G-sync, in a few months, will be the first alternative to V-sync, but will require special hardware in the monitor.

    If V-sync is causing a lot of slow down and lag, you may need to use triple buffering, if it is an option. For DirectX, you may have an option to increase "Maximum Prerendered frames", and set that to 2. Either way, you may get some juddering if you cannot maintain your refresh rate. You may need to also turn down settings for a better experience and you may also find turning the monitor down to 60hz to be helpful in reaching your monitors refresh rate with your FPS.


    It doesn't seems to work :(.. But what if i get a new cable? is this gonna fix the screen tearing? I'm currently using DVI-I to VGA cable,but what if i use DVI to DVI? My monitor got 2 ports.. VGA and DVI-D,my GPU has DVI-I and HDMI. What if i use DVI-D to DVI-I (dunno if that kind of cable even exist) will fix the problem? i remember i've tried my PC with a 28inch TV with HDMI Ports,and i couldnt see any Screen tearing,but somehow the quality was bad...


    Just use HDMI cable it will solve all ur problems and by the way i found a solution play in full window mode and screen tearing will dissappear without using V-sync promise!!!
  27. I use hdmi cable and I still experience screen tearing, but I dont on my other dvi monitor, but I still experience when I use my main monitor with dvi :/
  28. dannydragon said:
    The only solution I have found is to enable Vsync (triple buffered) and ALSO to limit your fps to 1 below your monitor's refresh rate. My monitor is 60hz so I limit my fps in game to 59fps using console. This should resolve the tearing and mouse lag.


    Changing my refresh rate to 59hz instead of 60 actually seemed to help. My PC usually defaults on 59 with Nvidia, but I manually changed it to 60 a while ago for some stupid reason. Thanks for the post!
  29. Ludogorets said:
    I've recently bought new GPU (MSI AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB) but in some games (like Far Cry 3,Outlast) i get horrible screen tearing.... When i turn "vsync" on,it kinda fixes it,but i get enough lag to interrupt the gaming experience. So is there a way to fix it without enabling vsync? :)

    My Specs:

    CPU -AMD Athlon (II) X4 641 Quad 2.8GHz
    RAM - 8GB
    GPU - AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB


    Hi all, I am curious besides cpu, gpu and system on what drives you're running the OS? I've had also screen tearing probs with my Gigabyte 1060, amd cpu 8350 and 32gb ram. Compared to my old system quiet a beast on which I never had the problem of screen tearing. Correction, there was this one time and that I remembered recently when I tried everything on software settings, on the verge of trying alternative drivers. The time my old system suffered of screen tearing was when I loaded my OS onto a SSD drive. A kingston V300 480Gb to be more specific. So I put the hammer away and changed sata cables, I still had win 7 on my raptor HDD and tried the same movies et voilá, problem solved. So I dono what to do with SSD, I lost my trust once, this is the second time they dissapoint me. Except for the fast boot, these extra's like screen tearing I find that a compensation I don't want to make. If you're not running the os on HDD I would suggest a bios update to begin with, then a clean os and see where the tearing starts. Good luck.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics