Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

$800 Haswell based gaming PC - Suggestions?

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 23, 2013 5:41:58 PM

I am planning on building a budget gaming PC and need some help. Here is my current build:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1SqqZ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1SqqZ/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1SqqZ/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.99 @ TigerDirect)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($76.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB Video Card ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($42.83 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($23.29 @ Adorama)
Total: $813.04
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-23 20:39 EDT-0400)

I am planning to later add another 650 Ti Boost in SLI. Is this list a good value for the money? Suggestions are welcome!


Thanks in advance,
Arcturus314
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2013 6:00:49 PM

That's all relative. Personally, I do not recommend Intel in any gaming build under $1000. The i3s are terrible value and the i5s suck away too much money from the GPU. A couple of suggestions though: Your memory is way overpriced. Get this instead: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/patriot-memory-pv38g213c1k...
Also drop the SSD and HDD and get a radeon 7970 and this HDD instead: HDD: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/western-digital-internal-h... 7970: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/powercolor-video-card-ax79...
Hope this helps!
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2013 6:05:12 PM

kirilmatthew said:
That's all relative. Personally, I do not recommend Intel in any gaming build under $1000. The i3s are terrible value and the i5s suck away too much money from the GPU. A couple of suggestions though: Your memory is way overpriced. Get this instead: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/patriot-memory-pv38g213c1k...
Also drop the SSD and HDD and get a radeon 7970 and this HDD instead: HDD: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/western-digital-internal-h... 7970: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/powercolor-video-card-ax79...
Hope this helps!


He's using a quad core i5 in his build...
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2013 6:07:50 PM

TBC1 said:
kirilmatthew said:
That's all relative. Personally, I do not recommend Intel in any gaming build under $1000. The i3s are terrible value and the i5s suck away too much money from the GPU. A couple of suggestions though: Your memory is way overpriced. Get this instead: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/patriot-memory-pv38g213c1k...
Also drop the SSD and HDD and get a radeon 7970 and this HDD instead: HDD: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/western-digital-internal-h... 7970: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/powercolor-video-card-ax79...
Hope this helps!


He's using a quad core i5 in his build...

Yes. What I am saying is that it is taking away more money from the GPU than in good in a sub-$1000 build normally. The FX-6300 is my go to CPU. The MBs are cheaper and the CPU is only $120.
m
0
l
a c 280 4 Gaming
October 23, 2013 6:08:22 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.99 @ TigerDirect)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($97.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($72.90 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($76.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($303.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $841.81
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-23 21:07 EDT-0400)

-Cheaper board and RAM.
-Removed SSD.
-Better case and psu.
-Much stronger gpu.

m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2013 6:12:15 PM

realchaos said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.99 @ TigerDirect)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($97.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($72.90 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($76.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($303.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $841.81
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-23 21:07 EDT-0400)

-Cheaper board and RAM.
-Removed SSD.
-Better case and psu.
-Much stronger gpu.



Agree with this except: Ram should be the one I selected, it saves $20 and GPU should be the $250 radeon 7970. Performs the same for $50 less. Oh and the HDD should be the $60 WD 1TB drive.
Share
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2013 6:18:20 PM

Just for fun (OC crossfire build)-

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($186.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston Predator Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($58.61 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($42.83 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Raidmax 630W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($55.98 @ Outlet PC)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $829.35
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-23 21:17 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
a c 280 4 Gaming
October 23, 2013 6:18:32 PM

Oh haha! I didn't notice the HDD. I kind of rushed through it a bit.
Yes the $60 WD Blue has better cache at a cheaper price. Definitely get that one.

The RAM you listed is out of stock right now, which is why I didn't put it in.

Powercolor is more of a budget brand, which is why I typically don't recommend it over MSI, Asus, Gigabyte, etc in these types of build.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2013 6:20:51 PM

realchaos said:
Oh haha! I didn't notice the HDD. I kind of rushed through it a bit.
Yes the $60 WD Blue has better cache at a cheaper price. Definitely get that one.

The RAM you listed is out of stock right now, which is why I didn't put it in.

Powercolor is more of a budget brand, which is why I typically don't recommend it over MSI, Asus, Gigabyte, etc in these types of build.


Okay makes sense! Id still get the powercolor. For $25 its an absolute steal.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2013 6:22:57 PM

kirilmatthew said:
realchaos said:
Oh haha! I didn't notice the HDD. I kind of rushed through it a bit.
Yes the $60 WD Blue has better cache at a cheaper price. Definitely get that one.

The RAM you listed is out of stock right now, which is why I didn't put it in.

Powercolor is more of a budget brand, which is why I typically don't recommend it over MSI, Asus, Gigabyte, etc in these types of build.


Okay makes sense! Id still get the powercolor. For $25 its an absolute steal.


The powercoler is the crappiest 7970 you can get (not a good choice).

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2013 6:23:20 PM

TBC1 said:
Just for fun (OC crossfire build)-

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($186.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston Predator Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($58.61 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($42.83 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Raidmax 630W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($55.98 @ Outlet PC)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $829.35
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-23 21:17 EDT-0400)


Do not get a CF 7850 build. I cannot recommend two 7850s over a single 7970 in any way. Also the PSU is garbage.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2013 6:24:58 PM

TBC1 said:
kirilmatthew said:
realchaos said:
Oh haha! I didn't notice the HDD. I kind of rushed through it a bit.
Yes the $60 WD Blue has better cache at a cheaper price. Definitely get that one.

The RAM you listed is out of stock right now, which is why I didn't put it in.

Powercolor is more of a budget brand, which is why I typically don't recommend it over MSI, Asus, Gigabyte, etc in these types of build.


Okay makes sense! Id still get the powercolor. For $25 its an absolute steal.


The powercoler is the crappiest 7970 you can get (not a good choice).



Id agree with that, but it is by no means bad. Especially when it comes at the same price as the GTX760.
m
0
l
October 23, 2013 6:44:58 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. Here is the revised parts list (Suggestions still welcome!):

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Stkm
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Stkm/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Stkm/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.99 @ TigerDirect)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($97.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $757.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-23 21:39 EDT-0400)

Realchaos said that the PowerColor GPU is more of a budget brand, and I also read some reviews on Newegg where this card crashed and didn't work etc. Is this a real problem for this GPU? I would prefer a slightly less powerful but more stable GPU to one that crashes often, so suggestions for alternate graphics cards are welcome.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2013 6:49:28 PM

Arcturus314 said:
Thanks for the help everyone. Here is the revised parts list (Suggestions still welcome!):

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Stkm
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Stkm/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Stkm/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.99 @ TigerDirect)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($97.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $757.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-23 21:39 EDT-0400)

Realchaos said that the PowerColor GPU is more of a budget brand, and I also read some reviews on Newegg where this card crashed and didn't work etc. Is this a real problem for this GPU?


Thumbs up! I do recommend AMD at the price point, but your choice. As for GPU, it depends on what you want to spend. $50 for the potential of a better card is a lot of money. The powercolor should work fine. It may have some problems, but there is a warranty. Any card can have problems, even the best brands. Of course, powercolor is not the best brand, but for the price I think its an amazing deal.
m
0
l
a c 280 4 Gaming
October 23, 2013 6:56:25 PM

Also note that powercolor doesn't have the best customer support (personal experience). I sent in a Corsair and Powercolor rebate at the same time. My Corsair rebate was approved and the $20 card came in while the Powercolor is still processing. I tried to contact them with no response. Just my personal experience though~
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2013 7:00:06 PM

realchaos said:
Also note that powercolor doesn't have the best customer support (personal experience). I sent in a Corsair and Powercolor rebate at the same time. My Corsair rebate was approved and the $20 card came in while the Powercolor is still processing. I tried to contact them with no response. Just my personal experience though~


I have a powercolor GTX 650Ti Boost and I've had no problems. I guess its all personal experience.
m
0
l
October 23, 2013 7:19:59 PM

One more question: I read that two 7790/7870 in CrossFire outperform the 7970. Is this correct? Also, for a relatively new PC builder, how difficult will setting two cards up in CrossFire be?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2013 7:25:06 PM

Arcturus314 said:
One more question: I read that two 7790/7870 in CrossFire outperform the 7970. Is this correct? Also, for a relatively new PC builder, how difficult will setting two cards up in CrossFire be?

Two 7870s might outperform it. However, this does not mean it is a good idea. Here's why. Noise: CF is louder Heat: CF runs hotter Power consumption: uses more power Upgradability: cannot add another card in the future Microstutter/Drivers: Games may appear worse because frames are not rendered the same (runt frames). Also some games do not have good support (worse performance). For all those reasons, I only recommend CF on two radeon 7950s or higher, or SLI on two GTX 760s or higher.
m
0
l
October 23, 2013 7:33:19 PM

Thanks, I will stay with the 7970 then and maybe add another in CrossFire later if I need a graphics boost.
m
0
l
a c 280 4 Gaming
October 23, 2013 7:39:25 PM

You can't crossfire on a H87 board.
You'll need a more expensive Z87 board and a bigger psu, which isn't worth it.
m
0
l
a c 280 4 Gaming
October 23, 2013 8:14:20 PM

It won't run properly. There's only one PCIe 3.0 x16 slot. The second slot is a PCIe 2.0 x4. The x4 will severely cripple the performance of the second card to a point where it's not even worth it.
m
0
l
October 23, 2013 8:37:12 PM

Oh ok. Thanks for clarifying.
m
0
l
!