FX-6300 overclock to 4.0 was successful, to 4.2 was not.. Any help?

Danyn

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
I'm a complete newbie to overclocking but I would like to learn how to do it. I don't really need it but I'm the kind of guy that likes pushing things to the limit and it helps whenever I do play cpu intensive games once in a while. I have a FX-6300 overclocked to 4.2 ghz with a 212 evo keeping it cool. I went into the bios and left all the voltages and stuff at normal. I changed my ram so it's at 1600mhz instead of 1333. I overclocked it by changing my CPU ratio to 21. I left the fsb at 200 and turned off turbo as well. I turned off all power saving features and I'm not exactly sure what to do now. Everything was perfectly fine when I overclocked to 4.0 last night by doing the same thing but when I try and get it to 4.2 I get various errors.

My build is here and I have the latest bios: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/GSE

These are some CPU-Z pictures with everything at idle
Ox60lbG.png

yGB05t8.png

hJgKt1i.png

When I run cinebench everything is fine
j0B3C8V.png

This picture is a before pic I took before running Prime95. Prime95 ran for maybe 10 minutes and then I bsod.
nstgH9n.png

Here's a pic of the errors I got.
NZ8SQSp.png

Danyn

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013

I took a few pictures of my bios, maybe you could guide me through which ones I should change. Ignore the 20 in the first picture, I took the screenshots when I was OC'ing to 4.0. The only thing changed is the 20 in the first picture, it should be a 21.

SLhOa6I.png

2MN2nIX.png

LEZmVcD.png

Danyn

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013

Bear with me, I'm a complete noob. If the label actually said vcore I would probably have less trouble but as is I have no idea which one's vcore. Also, is it better to have it in offset mode or manual?

ok. didn't notice your post, sorry about that. here is where you go.

Set CPU&NB Voltage to Manual
change CPU voltage from Auto to Manual
Bump your cpu voltage up 0.0125V from stock. save and try again.

here is a guide that is helpful to your needs
http://www.overclock.net/t/1348623/amd-bulldozer-and-piledriver-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboard

Danyn

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013

It's all good friend, I checked out the link and it recommended some more stuff. Should I just up the voltage for now and leave the frequencies and link speeds as is?

yeah. keep it basic. understand there are a LOT of tweeks that can help you squeeze a little more out of every overclock. i like to keep it simple for a first time overclocker so you can see it "work" and say "that was easy" then move onto the complicated stuff at your leisure knowing that this isn't all that scary if you do it right.

had i made my original post with a bunch of stuff about link speeds and hyper transport, and northbridge frequency i'm sure you'd probably have backed out and said "too complicated".

Heck i'm a long time overclocker and even i get overwhelmed with all the options in some of these bios's... if a guy with 20 years experience is intimidated sometimes i know it can make the eyes spin on n00bs.

the difference from following my 200 wood explanation and instructions and getting deep into the bios tweaking every setting is my 200 word instructions will probably land you within 90% of your max overclock in an hour. the rest of the tweaks will take weeks of testing and trial and error to get you that last 10% of umph from your chip.

Danyn

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013

Instead of bumping it up by 0.0125 I put it to 1.35 instead. Prime95 ran for 20 minutes flawlessly and here is a picture with it running in blend in the background.

Ntm48lK.png

Should I try go down by 0.0125 until I start getting errors or are my temps and whatnot acceptable?

Danyn

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013

Okay so I just got a message from AI Suite II. It said

VDDA+ Voltage too high 2.508V

What now?

have you played with the vdda voltage?

the vdda voltage controls how much extra power is availible when your chip is under 100% utilization. it's tied with your your LLC. When LLC is on your voltage should remain stable under load (it will drop on an FX by design), which in turn stabilizes your cpu at lower voltages. What VDDA does is make more voltage availible when under load, so if your cpu is set to draw 1.35V and you're under load with a high VDDA your cpu might draw 1.45V. Its another way to stabilize an overclock, only its working at the problem from the other side of the issue from LLC. LLC keeps voltage from dropping under load, while VDDA actually allows your chip to draw more power under load.

generally i don't play with VDDA when overclocking, some people swear by it... i prefer to have exact control over my cpu voltage. VDDA is a big help apparently if you don't have an LLC option in your bios... personally i still don't like it even with a bios without LLC. if at all possible set it back to auto and leave it.

Danyn

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013

So VDDA is kinda like the extra power if needed and LLC keeps you stable? I haven't touched either of them but will I be okay even if the warning says that my VDDA+ voltage is too high?

if you haven't touched the vdda+ i'm not sure why it's saying its too high. from what i've seen online (as i said i don't believe in using it so i'm looking this up) it seems like 2.60-2.65 seems to be pretty common on that setting.

see if you can't set it to auto. otherwise i don't see how 2.502 is "too high". lots of other people are using much higher vdda's with their 6300s.

Danyn

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013

It's already on auto. I guess I'll just leave it alone and ignore the warning.