Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

4820K - Overclocking Problems

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
October 24, 2013 1:47:12 AM

Hey Everyone,

i am having this odd problem. I have a 4820k Overlocked to 4.3 (setting below) in the bios it correctly shows as 4300 but in windows in CPUZ it never goes higher then 3700 I believe the stock ratio.


-BCKL - 100
-Sync all cores - 4.3 (also tried per core)
-Turbo mode - On (turned off but puts core ratio to auto)
-Vcore at - 1.3
-EIST - Enabled

BIOS - 4302

I have only seem it go to 4300 in IBT but when gaming it clocks to 3700. My old 3820 playing the same games etc would clock to 4500 what it was overclocked to.

Any help would be great,

Thank you

Adam
October 31, 2013 12:16:27 PM

I'm having a similar issue. My BCKL is 100 and multiplier is set to 39 (I know, that's low but I'm just learning about OC'ing).

CPU-Z shows 3700 during almost all tasks that max out the processor.

In for answers.

Matt

Adam_101 said:
Hey Everyone,

i am having this odd problem. I have a 4820k Overlocked to 4.3 (setting below) in the bios it correctly shows as 4300 but in windows in CPUZ it never goes higher then 3700 I believe the stock ratio.


-BCKL - 100
-Sync all cores - 4.3 (also tried per core)
-Turbo mode - On (turned off but puts core ratio to auto)
-Vcore at - 1.3
-EIST - Enabled

BIOS - 4302

I have only seem it go to 4300 in IBT but when gaming it clocks to 3700. My old 3820 playing the same games etc would clock to 4500 what it was overclocked to.

Any help would be great,

Thank you

Adam


October 31, 2013 12:48:43 PM

First of all turn off all power saving features like eist etc.
DISABLE turbo mode.

Set core multiplyer from auto to 42.
let bckl to 100.

Thats the first steps. I say 42 cuz you most likely can go to 4.2ghz with stock voltages.
Related resources
October 31, 2013 2:09:30 PM

Thank you for this info. I did that and will see how it goes.

Matt

UPDATE: Now in CPU-Z, the Multiplier say 12-42, but still never goes above 37....I have much to learn.

matsamas said:
First of all turn off all power saving features like eist etc.
DISABLE turbo mode.

Set core multiplyer from auto to 42.
let bckl to 100.

Thats the first steps. I say 42 cuz you most likely can go to 4.2ghz with stock voltages.


October 31, 2013 2:59:02 PM

Hey Matt,

Sorry for late reply...so I found out the 4820k turbo works different and is something like only turbos to 39 - 3900 when one core is active or something like that. I also spoke with the company who built my PC and as they overclocked it by 100 x then 43 or 44 to make 4300 or 4400 they said to use the strap insted. so set the strap to 125 then the ratio to say 36 would make 4500. Then you would set your vcore and disable c states etc.

When i left the bclk at 100 and put in 42 it only went to 42 when I ran IBT or stress tests, otherwise stuck on 37! So they said to set the strap etc, this has worked for me:) . Let me know if you want my settings :) 
October 31, 2013 3:46:17 PM

Hey Adam - Thanks so much for letting me know what worked for you.

I also paid to have my system (which I got last week) "professionally" overclocked. That clearly did not happen.

I've been a gamer for 20 years but have only spent the last 2 days learning anything about overclocking. Is the strap the same thing as the base clock? If so, how does that affect my memory speed.

As it sits right now, my GSkill RAM is also overclocked to 1866. It is natively 1866 mHz memory, but I was told that my mobo (Gigabyte X79-UP4) only supports 1333 and any speeds above that must be achieved by OC'ing.

I'm not knowledgable enough about the interrelation between clock speeds, voltages, and temps to mess with the voltages which is why I was pretty psyched to just run the cpu at 4.2 and not mess with anything re: electricity.

I can swap video cards like a champ (haha) but this overclocking stuff is a real learning process for me.

Thanks,

Matt

Adam_101 said:
Hey Matt,

Sorry for late reply...so I found out the 4820k turbo works different and is something like only turbos to 39 - 3900 when one core is active or something like that. I also spoke with the company who built my PC and as they overclocked it by 100 x then 43 or 44 to make 4300 or 4400 they said to use the strap insted. so set the strap to 125 then the ratio to say 36 would make 4500. Then you would set your vcore and disable c states etc.

When i left the bclk at 100 and put in 42 it only went to 42 when I ran IBT or stress tests, otherwise stuck on 37! So they said to set the strap etc, this has worked for me:) . Let me know if you want my settings :) 


October 31, 2013 4:20:49 PM

RichMattB said:
Hey Adam - Thanks so much for letting me know what worked for you.

I also paid to have my system (which I got last week) "professionally" overclocked. That clearly did not happen.

I've been a gamer for 20 years but have only spent the last 2 days learning anything about overclocking. Is the strap the same thing as the base clock? If so, how does that affect my memory speed.

As it sits right now, my GSkill RAM is also overclocked to 1866. It is natively 1866 mHz memory, but I was told that my mobo (Gigabyte X79-UP4) only supports 1333 and any speeds above that must be achieved by OC'ing.

I'm not knowledgable enough about the interrelation between clock speeds, voltages, and temps to mess with the voltages which is why I was pretty psyched to just run the cpu at 4.2 and not mess with anything re: electricity.

I can swap video cards like a champ (haha) but this overclocking stuff is a real learning process for me.

Thanks,

Matt

Adam_101 said:
Hey Matt,

Sorry for late reply...so I found out the 4820k turbo works different and is something like only turbos to 39 - 3900 when one core is active or something like that. I also spoke with the company who built my PC and as they overclocked it by 100 x then 43 or 44 to make 4300 or 4400 they said to use the strap insted. so set the strap to 125 then the ratio to say 36 would make 4500. Then you would set your vcore and disable c states etc.

When i left the bclk at 100 and put in 42 it only went to 42 when I ran IBT or stress tests, otherwise stuck on 37! So they said to set the strap etc, this has worked for me:) . Let me know if you want my settings :) 




No worries. I was the same and only recently got into overclocking. From what I understand with other cpu sockets you cannot really change the bclk from 100. With the X79 boards, you can change the strap to 1.25 I believe which in turns changes the bclk to 125. You then enter the ratio at 35 or 36 and this gives you an overclock of 4400/4500. When you change the strap to 125 it overclocks you ram, so if you ram is 1600 itll become 1666. You then enter you ram voltage usually 1.5 or sometimes 1.65 in manually and its timings too. Here is a link to the information - this guys hold various records for overclocking and is like rank No1 in UK http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18476...
October 31, 2013 4:27:08 PM

Hey Adam - Thanks for the explanation and the link. I'm going to do some reading and go from there.

If I have any success, I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again,

Matt

Adam_101 said:
RichMattB said:
Hey Adam - Thanks so much for letting me know what worked for you.

I also paid to have my system (which I got last week) "professionally" overclocked. That clearly did not happen.

I've been a gamer for 20 years but have only spent the last 2 days learning anything about overclocking. Is the strap the same thing as the base clock? If so, how does that affect my memory speed.

As it sits right now, my GSkill RAM is also overclocked to 1866. It is natively 1866 mHz memory, but I was told that my mobo (Gigabyte X79-UP4) only supports 1333 and any speeds above that must be achieved by OC'ing.

I'm not knowledgable enough about the interrelation between clock speeds, voltages, and temps to mess with the voltages which is why I was pretty psyched to just run the cpu at 4.2 and not mess with anything re: electricity.

I can swap video cards like a champ (haha) but this overclocking stuff is a real learning process for me.

Thanks,

Matt

Adam_101 said:
Hey Matt,

Sorry for late reply...so I found out the 4820k turbo works different and is something like only turbos to 39 - 3900 when one core is active or something like that. I also spoke with the company who built my PC and as they overclocked it by 100 x then 43 or 44 to make 4300 or 4400 they said to use the strap insted. so set the strap to 125 then the ratio to say 36 would make 4500. Then you would set your vcore and disable c states etc.

When i left the bclk at 100 and put in 42 it only went to 42 when I ran IBT or stress tests, otherwise stuck on 37! So they said to set the strap etc, this has worked for me:) . Let me know if you want my settings :) 




No worries. I was the same and only recently got into overclocking. From what I understand with other cpu sockets you cannot really change the bclk from 100. With the X79 boards, you can change the strap to 1.25 I believe which in turns changes the bclk to 125. You then enter the ratio at 35 or 36 and this gives you an overclock of 4400/4500. When you change the strap to 125 it overclocks you ram, so if you ram is 1600 itll become 1666. You then enter you ram voltage usually 1.5 or sometimes 1.65 in manually and its timings too. Here is a link to the information - this guys hold various records for overclocking and is like rank No1 in UK http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18476...


November 4, 2013 1:29:58 AM

Hey Mat,

No worries, that site did help a great deal :) . Yes do let me know how you get on! :) 
January 27, 2014 1:03:16 PM

Hi Everyone,

so I had the same problem for 2 days now.

I upgraded from the i7-3820 on saturday. First I ran some stability tests, to see if windows and everything was stable after my upgrade (bought a new case and a new liquid cooling unit and "transplanted" my old Gigabyte X79-UD3 motherboard from my my old case into the new one...)

After beeing sure that nothing was "broken" I tried my first attempts at oc'ing this little bad boy.....needless to say I failed badly. The overclock was displayed to me in my BIOS settings, but as soon as I booted and fired up CPU-Z and RealTemp the multiplier went from the selected 41 which would have given me 4.1GHz to the default 37 (with Turbo Boost disabled).
So for two days now I have tried every thing humanly possible, I turned off all the power settings in BIOS, an so on....

After about six hours of failure I decided to overclock by setting the strap to 1.25 which gives you 125MHz on the BCLK and I tried that out with a multiplier of 36 (36x125=4500MHz), but wasn't even able to boot with these settings however I had it runing stable at 4375MHz, however I was aiming for at least an OC of 4,5-4,6GHz so I tried setting the multiplier to 37 but that didn't work at all. In CPU-Z it displayed the max. multiplier at 31 when clearly it should have been at 37. Anyway I then tried it at 38 and it then showed me 37x125=4625MHz in CPU-Z even though I clearly had it to 38....

I left it at that and went up to a Vcore of 1.4V but got to high temperatures....(max. under IBT high was 81 degrees)

So long story short, I thought it had to work differently.

Here goes: SOLUTION

Turning off all power saving settings in BIOS isn't enough, you have to disable all power settings in windows aswell.
Since I have Windows 8.1, I can only tell you what to do there: 1. Go to settings, 2. Open up Windows Control Panel, 3. Open System and Security settings, 4. click on Power Options, 5. now you'll see preferred plans (including balanced and power saver), 6. click Show additional plans, now you should see high performance, 7. enable high performance plan by clicking it and voila your system should now overclock above the base clock

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to show you guys, that I had the same problems and I hope this helped some of you!
January 27, 2014 1:26:28 PM

Hey Ben,

Thanks for the reply. It was very odd! I actually found that out yesterday was also trying for 4.6...ie setting the power the high and then changing the min state to 5% so it downclocked and the volyage does abit also when at idle! u have discovered to get 4.5 need little voltage but above 4.5 needs so much more on my cpu. Some I have seen need like 1.28 for 4.7 lol some needed like 1.35 plus its such a lottery!.

Thank you for posting though :)  working together we have cracked this I hope :) 
January 27, 2014 1:54:34 PM

Hi Adam,

I am glad we figured that out too. I was starting to worry, that there was a soft- or hardware problem on my end.
I will be going for 4.5 and eventually 4.6 tomorrow, gonna have a look at how much voltage i'll need....
Teamwork rules, that's what these forums are for.

Take care and have fun OC'ing.

Ben
January 28, 2014 12:50:41 AM

Hi Ben,

It is through trial and error+teamwork is how we learn! Thanks for the info though hopefully will help a few others out there.

Good luck with the OC'ing :) .

Take care!

Adam.
!