Sign in with
Your question

New 650 Ti Boost issues after install "Black Screen" upon boot

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 24, 2013 8:07:18 AM

My system is 4 years old and my plan is to build a new system next year. However, my Graphics Card (EVGA GTX 260) failed. I decided to buy the Card I want for my Build next year 650 Ti Boost EVGA 01G-P4-3656-KR. I verified first via web search and by calling tech support that my current mother board, CPU and power supply would support the card. FYI the power supply was recently repaired by PC Power and cooling under warranty and has been tested and verified as working properyly.

CPU E8500
MB Gigabyte GA-EP45UD3L Rev 1.0 (latest F9 Bios) PCI 2.0
PSU Pc Power and cooling Silencer 750W
OS Win XP 32 Bit Media Center Edition (SP3)

I did a clean install (however did not clean registry).

When I reboot I see the Gigabyte Motherboard Flashscreen, then I see the Win XP loading screen, then it goes black. Sometimes it has a frozen mouse and hourglass most of the time it just black and it just stays that way. If however I "Hard" reboot the computer again (a 2nd time), it will go through the same process, however after a few minutes the black screen will give way to the Desktop.

I have run Heavens Benchmark for 30 mins no problems, can run games without a hitch. The problem is just upon rebooting.

It just appears to me to be some type of driver issue or conflict somewhere in my system.

FYI... Both EVGA and Gigabyte Tech support teams have spent time with me to try to resolve the issue (trying re-install etc...) however the problem persists.

So every time I reboot it freezes, 2nd "Hard" reboot black screen then desktop and then runs well.

Any constructive suggestions beyond "DON'T REBOOT" appreciated :) 
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2013 8:16:31 AM

Does safe mode start up normally? If so then it's most definitely a software issue of some sort.
m
l
October 24, 2013 8:22:36 AM

wanderer11 said:
Does safe mode start up normally? If so then it's most definitely a software issue of some sort.

Yes Safe Mode Starts up normally
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2013 8:51:45 AM

Ok so I assume this happened right after you put in the gpu. Did you uninstall whatever display driver you had BEFORE inserting the 650ti?
m
l
October 24, 2013 9:46:50 AM

wanderer11 said:
Ok so I assume this happened right after you put in the gpu. Did you uninstall whatever display driver you had BEFORE inserting the 650ti?

Correct I did a clean install. However I did not manually clean the register nor did I manually delete the left over Nivida folder.

During subsequent additional clean install attempts (have re-installed twice additionally) deleted the leftover Nivida folder and register remnants manually each time.

So yes clean install was used and Drivers deleted using Add or Remove in the control panel
m
l
October 27, 2013 12:06:04 PM

wanderer11 said:

A quick update.... Problem persists. Today "Sunday" I needed to reboot after a Microsoft Update. Took several hard reboots before my desktop would appear.

Again; I see the Motherboard flash screen, Win XP OS loading screen, then a black screen after 15 min I reboot. After five reboots my desktop appeared.

Performance of the 650TI Boost is flawless. It is only a booting issue.

Any idea what steps I can try now to find the problem? Obviously I can try to re-install the Nvidia drivers again, however not sure I see that as anything other than a "hope and pray" at this point.

m
l
October 28, 2013 9:10:04 AM

One additional question with regards to this issue. Could there also be a conflict between Realtek Audio and Nvidia Audio drivers that are loaded as part of the Nivida drivers?

I have decided unless a better course of action is suggested to try older drivers (a poster on another site has the same motherboard and gpu and is using 331.40) 331.40, looking for conflicts.

Any suggestions on this problem greatly appreciated.

Will also try the "New" card in a friends computer to rule out a defective GPU (which I highly doubt)

Thank you again for any suggestions or advice
m
l
!