Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dell Vostro 1510 Laptop Graphics Problem

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Graphics
  • 1510
  • Vostro
Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
Share
October 25, 2013 3:06:30 AM

I have a problem with the screen just showing fuzzy horizontal lines or nothing at all. The laptop boots and I have no problem using an external monitor. My question is:- Is this likely to be a problem with the graphics chip on the motherboard or a problem with the screen. I have seen both items for sale on ebay (2nd hand) at a reasonable price but I need to determine whether it's a screen or Graphics problem. I have replaced the inverter already with no change to problem. Any help on further diagnostics welcome, Thanks

More about : dell vostro 1510 laptop graphics problem

October 25, 2013 5:12:50 PM

Well, if you were able to use an external monitor without a problem, then most likely it's not the onboard graphics. I'd say it's far more likely to be the screen.
m
0
l
October 26, 2013 2:40:51 AM

EarthenSquirrel said:
Well, if you were able to use an external monitor without a problem, then most likely it's not the onboard graphics. I'd say it's far more likely to be the screen.


m
0
l
Related resources
October 26, 2013 2:46:36 AM

Thanks for the input. I have been googling about and someone mentioned that the on-board nvidia chip might still work on external monitor circuit, but fail on the internal side, but eventually that will probably pack up as well! (have been using laptop with external monitor for a year now) so I am looking for a way to determine whether it is the chip on motherboard or screen without buying either at the moment. I have sEen a motherboard with the Intel grahics chip, which most feedback seems to suggest is much better than Nvidia c**p.
m
0
l
October 29, 2013 3:15:54 PM

PURBECKFOSSIL said:
Thanks for the input. I have been googling about and someone mentioned that the on-board nvidia chip might still work on external monitor circuit, but fail on the internal side, but eventually that will probably pack up as well! (have been using laptop with external monitor for a year now) so I am looking for a way to determine whether it is the chip on motherboard or screen without buying either at the moment. I have sEen a motherboard with the Intel grahics chip, which most feedback seems to suggest is much better than Nvidia c**p.

True, that's definitely possible. From what I understand, it's not a common occurence, though. As far as a test goes, if you're comfortable taking the laptop apart and have another laptop to test on, you could always swap the parts out and see what works. I suspect you don't have another machine, though, so you might be out of luck, at least until someone who knows more than I do comes along. Sorry I haven't been more help.
m
0
l
November 1, 2013 1:59:11 AM

Thanks for your input, EarthenSquirrel.

I bit the bullet and got an LCD screen on Ebay for £35 and installed it. Booted up and got white screen. Another google session pointed to the LCD connector not properly connected. So, disconnected & reconnected it and "Hey Presto" everything clear and rosy. Job done. Ebay scrap yard came up with the goods at an affordable price.

m
0
l
November 1, 2013 10:05:55 AM

PURBECKFOSSIL said:
Thanks for your input, EarthenSquirrel.

I bit the bullet and got an LCD screen on Ebay for £35 and installed it. Booted up and got white screen. Another google session pointed to the LCD connector not properly connected. So, disconnected & reconnected it and "Hey Presto" everything clear and rosy. Job done. Ebay scrap yard came up with the goods at an affordable price.


Excellent! Glad that got solved.
m
0
l
!