New HD 7950 Problem

ss23

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013
Hi guys!

I managed to snip a 7950 on Ebay for a good price!

Unfortunately, when I took delivery of the card and plugged it into my computer, the computer wouldn't start (all the fans inside including the 7950s moved ever so slightly). I figured it was my power supply; an Antec EA-500D which is roughly 4 years old and only 500w. I went ahead and bought an Evo Labs 750w supply with an 80+ bronze rating, thinking my Antec PSU was at fault!

Finally, the new PSU arrived today, so I proceeded to test it with my old graphics card (HD 4850), which went perfectly. However, when I plug in the 7950, I get exactly the same problems as before!

Would anyone know what the problem is? I made sure that I plugged in the two power supply cables. Was there anything I missed?

I'm scared that the card is faulty but the seller assured me that the card was tested and working perfectly before he dispatched it.

My specs are as follows:

Antec EA-500w
Evo Labs Cronus Modular 750w
Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P
AMD Phenom 960t
8 GB Ballistix Tactical 1600 CL8 Ram
1 dvd drive

The card I'm testing is a Sapphire HD7950 Dual X.

Thanks a lot for the help guys! I've been waiting so long to upgrade my gpu, the old one I ordered got lost in the post and now this one looks DOA :(.

ss23

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013
Unfortunately, I can't actually access the bios because the computer's not switching on altogether! Neither do I actually know anyone with a desktop! The seller did assure me that its fine though.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys!