Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Crashing after SSD + GPU upgrade

Last response: in Storage
Share
October 25, 2013 10:02:39 AM

Ever since I upgraded my system with a solid state hard drive and better graphics card, I have experienced random ongoing crashes.
The computer freezes (all applications stop working and mouse freezes), then goes to a scrambled screen of a bunch of colors (shown in photo below). All firmware appear to be up to date. What could be causing this?

HARDWARE:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950
CPU: Intel i7-950
Mobo: ASUS P6X58D-E
RAM: 12GB:
    3x2GB Corsair XMS3 CAS7
    3x2GB Corsair XMS3 CAS9

Drive:
    500GB Samsung SSD 840 (Boot drive)
    2TB / 2TB / 1.5TB / 4TB (Media drives)

PSU: Corsair 750TX 750W

Pics:









a b G Storage
October 25, 2013 10:06:21 AM

Did you do a fresh installation of Windows or did you just replace the SSD and GPU without re installing Windows?
m
0
l
October 25, 2013 10:13:23 AM

jkhoward said:
Did you do a fresh installation of Windows or did you just replace the SSD and GPU without re installing Windows?


I upgraded without re-installing Win7 and enabled TRIM.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
October 25, 2013 10:15:04 AM

Wiznaz said:
jkhoward said:
Did you do a fresh installation of Windows or did you just replace the SSD and GPU without re installing Windows?


I upgraded without re-installing Win7 and enabled TRIM.


The issue is most likely related to you not re-installing Windows. Driver related or something else.. did you image the SSD? Sometimes when you image the SSD it doesn't write the data back in the correct order when going from a normal HDD.

I would recommend that you reinstall Windows.
m
0
l
October 25, 2013 10:15:37 AM

Have you gone through and made sure all the drivers are uptodate (as well as bios) and when you installed your gpu you removed all previous gpu drivers that were installed?
m
0
l
October 25, 2013 10:23:59 AM

I will re-install Windows 7 later today. Is there anything else I should troubleshoot such as using a different HDD or my old NVidia GPU?

After switching from NVidia to ATI, I did remove the old drivers and installed the new ones. BIOS is up to date as well as GPU Firmware (non-beta)
m
0
l
a c 167 G Storage
October 25, 2013 10:30:48 AM

I see some possibilities:
1. Most likely, a graphics card driver problem. Try the newest driver, an older driver, or perhaps a beta driver.
2. A monitor with impending failure. Can you test with a different monitor?
3. Could the graphics card be starting to go bad? Can you test with a different card?
4. If you did not do a clean reinstall, it is possible that there are some problems with the registry or other files.
m
0
l
October 25, 2013 10:48:06 AM

geofelt said:
I see some possibilities:
1. Most likely, a graphics card driver problem. Try the newest driver, an older driver, or perhaps a beta driver.
2. A monitor with impending failure. Can you test with a different monitor?
3. Could the graphics card be starting to go bad? Can you test with a different card?
4. If you did not do a clean reinstall, it is possible that there are some problems with the registry or other files.


1. I will try the newest graphics beta driver.
2. I forgot to mention I run 3 1080p displays.
3. I can test my old NVidia GPU. I had no issues with my previous setup, I just wanted to upgrade.
4. I will do a fresh install later tonight. If that doesn't work I will swap GPU or SSD or both.
m
0
l
a c 167 G Storage
October 25, 2013 11:08:30 AM

Since your upgrade included a graphics card, I would suspect that first.
If the artifacts show on all the monitors, I would exclude the monitors as culprits.

What nvidia gpu did you use before?

I am wondering if a 7950 is sufficiently strong to run three monitor games.
m
0
l
October 25, 2013 11:15:34 AM

geofelt said:
Since your upgrade included a graphics card, I would suspect that first.
If the artifacts show on all the monitors, I would exclude the monitors as culprits.

What nvidia gpu did you use before?

I am wondering if a 7950 is sufficiently strong to run three monitor games.


All 3 monitors freeze/scramble and the computer locks up. It makes me think the GPU is not a problem. I am thinking it's the SSD. I ran a GTX460 SuperClocked previously. The games I enjoy playing are older or not very stressful so the 460 was fine on 1 display. The 460 would not run 3 displays. That was the reason for upgrading. BTW, I am not gaming when the monitor crashes. It happens when surfing the web or downloading stuff.
m
0
l
a c 167 G Storage
October 25, 2013 11:33:58 AM

I would seriously doubt that your problem is the SSD. Once you can boot into windows is shows that the ssd is good. Samsung is very reliable.
If you had a ssd issue, I would expect other symptoms.

Could you test to see if the issue happens with only one monitor attached? Perhaps to different interfaces?
Graphics cards do fail; I would be prepared to return or RMA the card.

Such artifacts can also come from heat issues. Can you verify that the fans are working?

Doing some research on newegg 7950 cards , I see perhaps 10% with zero eggs. Many reports are of failures.
You might have been unlucky.
m
0
l
December 26, 2013 10:38:36 AM

jkhoward said:
Wiznaz said:
jkhoward said:
Did you do a fresh installation of Windows or did you just replace the SSD and GPU without re installing Windows?


I upgraded without re-installing Win7 and enabled TRIM.


The issue is most likely related to you not re-installing Windows. Driver related or something else.. did you image the SSD? Sometimes when you image the SSD it doesn't write the data back in the correct order when going from a normal HDD.

I would recommend that you reinstall Windows.


Well I will give a little update since my last posts. I put the Windows 7 install disk in and performed a repair with Internet connection. After that, everything has been smooth with no hangs! Thank you, jkhoward!
m
0
l
a b G Storage
January 3, 2014 2:59:25 PM

Wiznaz said:
jkhoward said:
Wiznaz said:
jkhoward said:
Did you do a fresh installation of Windows or did you just replace the SSD and GPU without re installing Windows?


I upgraded without re-installing Win7 and enabled TRIM.


The issue is most likely related to you not re-installing Windows. Driver related or something else.. did you image the SSD? Sometimes when you image the SSD it doesn't write the data back in the correct order when going from a normal HDD.

I would recommend that you reinstall Windows.


Well I will give a little update since my last posts. I put the Windows 7 install disk in and performed a repair with Internet connection. After that, everything has been smooth with no hangs! Thank you, jkhoward!


You are very welcome. I wish you selected me for the best answer but hey, it works(:

Glad you are up and running!
m
0
l
January 6, 2014 12:15:12 PM

I did not select the other post as my answer. I think a mod did. Thanks again for the help!

jkhoward said:
Wiznaz said:
jkhoward said:
Wiznaz said:
jkhoward said:
Did you do a fresh installation of Windows or did you just replace the SSD and GPU without re installing Windows?


I upgraded without re-installing Win7 and enabled TRIM.


The issue is most likely related to you not re-installing Windows. Driver related or something else.. did you image the SSD? Sometimes when you image the SSD it doesn't write the data back in the correct order when going from a normal HDD.

I would recommend that you reinstall Windows.


Well I will give a little update since my last posts. I put the Windows 7 install disk in and performed a repair with Internet connection. After that, everything has been smooth with no hangs! Thank you, jkhoward!


You are very welcome. I wish you selected me for the best answer but hey, it works(:

Glad you are up and running!


m
0
l
January 24, 2014 11:44:49 PM

Okay, I am going to post an update. The problem is still here unfortunately. The screen can go scrambled while doing random things. It has happened when I am only watching a Youtube video or watching an mkv movie, or just downloading a large file at 10MB/s. The audio will stop playing and the computer will lock up and I have to press the power button. While rebooting it does a check disk and will delete index entries. I also notice some of my Chrome browser settings are deleted or back to default.

Another issue that happens very frequently is that I get a "Not responding" message for 15-20sec if I go into my other hard drives and right click a folder or file and it will show the green loading bar in the address bar.

I even did a fresh Windows install as well. I am starting to believe it is hardware related. Could it be failing SATA cables, power supply or mobo possibly?
m
0
l
a b G Storage
January 31, 2014 8:25:55 PM

Quote:
Another issue that happens very frequently is that I get a "Not responding" message for 15-20sec if I go into my other hard drives and right click a folder or file and it will show the green loading bar in the address bar.


Use magician to check the other drives. Perhaps you have a failing drive.
m
0
l
February 1, 2014 2:43:32 PM

I used Magician to test all drives and perform SMART testing. All SMART testing passed except for drive Seagate ST32000542AS:

Samsung 840:



Seagate ST32000:




Western Digital WDC WD150:



Seagate Backup Plus 4TB:



Seagate ST2000 2TB:

m
0
l
a b G Storage
February 1, 2014 6:52:58 PM

Disconnect the drive and see if problem continues.
m
0
l
February 2, 2014 8:19:02 PM

Disconnected drive and it did not change anything. Other drives still have the same slow loading/not responding. I also moved drives off the Marvell controller and that did not change anything either.
m
0
l
!