Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is the Asus VS247H-P Monitor good for gaming?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 25, 2013 1:17:45 PM

So I am planning on building my own setup and am trying to keep the price low. I noticed this monitor on amazon being $165 and looked at the response time (2ms). I thought this would be a good gaming monitor but then I saw LevelCap's monitor that he got the Phillips Brilliance 144Hz Monitor and was wondering what my refresh rate is. All I can find is the vertical and horizontal refresh rate and this does not help me compare. Can you please tell me how to calculate the overall refresh rate? And the main question also if you could tell me if this monitor would be good for gaming.
Thanks
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
October 25, 2013 1:40:11 PM

The VS247H-P can support up to a 75 Hz refresh rate.

When looking at specs, if a both a vertical and horizontal refresh rate (or signal frequency) is listed, look at the vertical frequency - that is the limiting factor and will dictate the refresh rate of the monitor.

The monitor is a pretty good one for gaming. If you are really into competitive shooters, however, you may want to go with a 120/144 Hz monitor (if your hardware can render that many frames) for the smoother visuals.
October 25, 2013 1:57:29 PM

aznricepuff said:
The VS247H-P can support up to a 75 Hz refresh rate.

When looking at specs, if a both a vertical and horizontal refresh rate (or signal frequency) is listed, look at the vertical frequency - that is the limiting factor and will dictate the refresh rate of the monitor.

The monitor is a pretty good one for gaming. If you are really into competitive shooters, however, you may want to go with a 120/144 Hz monitor (if your hardware can render that many frames) for the smoother visuals.

Well is the specs of all the parts I want (just ignore the prices, I copied and pasted it from my word document)
CPU
Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core
-$220
CPU Cooler
Corsair Hydro Series Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H80i
-$95
Motherboard
ASUS P8Z77-V LX LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
-$125
Memory
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
-$145
Storage
WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA 6 GB/s, 64 MB Cache
-$65
Graphics Card
Gigabyte GTX 770 GDDR5-4GB 2xDVI/HDMI/DP OC WINDFORCE 3X Graphics Card
-$450


Power Supply
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular High Performance Power Supply
-$85
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (OEM) System Builder
$90
Wireless Network Adaptor
TP-LINK TL-WN851ND Wireless N300 PCI Adapter, 2.4GHz 300Mbps
-$20
DVD Drive
ASUS Internal 24X SATA Optical Drive DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G
-$25
Case
Cooler Master Elite 430 - Mid Tower Computer Case with All-Black Interior
-$40

And also I was wondering where I could find a 120GHz monitor, I look around everywhere and can't find any. I mainly want to buy from amazon because I am very familiar with them.
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
October 25, 2013 2:24:00 PM

I would cut the RAM from 16 to 8 GB if you're primarily going to be using the computer for gaming. Also unless there's a very specific reason you want a liquid CPU cooler, I would suggest getting the cheaper Hyper 212 Evo that does the job almost as well. Then you can use the money you save to upgrade yourself to an R9 290X ($550), which will help you get 120 FPS at better settings if you choose to get a 120 Hz monitor.

Here's a good 144 Hz monitor (there's not much difference between 120 and 144 Hz monitors since most video connections can't handle anything above 120 Hz anyway):
http://www.amazon.com/VG248QE-24-Inch-Screen-LED-lit-Mo...

That monitor is a TN monitor, not an IPS like the VS247H-P, which means it has poorer color reproduction and a very narrow viewing angle, but it is one of the cheaper 144 Hz monitors.
October 25, 2013 3:27:10 PM

aznricepuff said:
I would cut the RAM from 16 to 8 GB if you're primarily going to be using the computer for gaming. Also unless there's a very specific reason you want a liquid CPU cooler, I would suggest getting the cheaper Hyper 212 Evo that does the job almost as well. Then you can use the money you save to upgrade yourself to an R9 290X ($550), which will help you get 120 FPS at better settings if you choose to get a 120 Hz monitor.

Here's a good 144 Hz monitor (there's not much difference between 120 and 144 Hz monitors since most video connections can't handle anything above 120 Hz anyway):
http://www.amazon.com/VG248QE-24-Inch-Screen-LED-lit-Mo...

That monitor is a TN monitor, not an IPS like the VS247H-P, which means it has poorer color reproduction and a very narrow viewing angle, but it is one of the cheaper 144 Hz monitors.

Would it be possible to find a 120Hz monitor for around the same price? I'm not looking for a 144 Hz because it is pretty expensive.
And I wanted the liquid CPU cooling because it just looked cool... lol. But I guess I could get the Hyper 212 one and when I get extra money sometime later I could upgrade to a liquid CPU cooler.
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
October 25, 2013 3:36:15 PM

The VG248QE is pretty much at the bottom end of the price spectrum for 120/144 Hz monitors (by the way there's not much difference in price between 120 Hz and 144 Hz), so it's unlikely you'll find a cheaper one outside of sales.
October 25, 2013 3:44:46 PM

aznricepuff said:
The VG248QE is pretty much at the bottom end of the price spectrum for 120/144 Hz monitors (by the way there's not much difference in price between 120 Hz and 144 Hz), so it's unlikely you'll find a cheaper one outside of sales.

That really sucks. But would the VS247H-P be good for budget gaming? About how much fps could I get on it?

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
October 25, 2013 3:50:58 PM
Share

The VS247H-P is a perfectly good monitor. As I said, it supports a maximum refresh rate of 75 Hz. How much actual FPS you could get depends on your hardware and what game you are playing, but the maximum you would be able to see is 75. You would need to use the DVI connection to get 75 Hz at 1080p though, since HDMI won't support anything above 60 Hz at 1080p.
!