Solved

Overclocking then "Unoverclocking"

I currently have an AMD FX-6100 at the Standard 3.3GHz with the basic processor cooler along with the six fans that I have built into my case. I am an avid player of Flight Simulator X and if you do not know already it is only a 32-bit game that relies heavily on one core of the processor. So, now my question is: Is it safe to overclock my graphics card to 4.0GHz for short periods (two-five hours) while playing Flight Simulator X then resetting the speed back to 3.3 GHz? Or can adjusting the speed frequently harm the processor? Also, I haven't been able to find a straight answer for it but: is there a certain temperature range that I should stay in while overclocking? I don't have liquid cooling and am nervous about relying on just fans to keep my processor cool.

Thanks!
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about overclocking unoverclocking
  1. What are you using for your CPU cooler?
  2. CG_Gamer said:
    What are you using for your CPU cooler?


    The stock heat-sink and stock fan which aren't too great to be honest, I doubt they even have "model" names so to speak. I'm more interested about the safety of overclocking and unoverclocking just to play Flight Simulator X rather than getting advice on my hardware however.
  3. Lancett said:
    CG_Gamer said:
    What are you using for your CPU cooler?


    The stock heat-sink and stock fan which aren't too great to be honest, I doubt they even have "model" names so to speak. I'm more interested about the safety of overclocking and unoverclocking just to play Flight Simulator X rather than getting advice on my hardware however.


    Asking about the cooling situation is a crucial part of overclocking. Generally, the stock fans are not up to the task.
  4. USAFRet said:
    Lancett said:
    CG_Gamer said:
    What are you using for your CPU cooler?


    The stock heat-sink and stock fan which aren't too great to be honest, I doubt they even have "model" names so to speak. I'm more interested about the safety of overclocking and unoverclocking just to play Flight Simulator X rather than getting advice on my hardware however.


    Asking about the cooling situation is a crucial part of overclocking. Generally, the stock fans are not up to the task.


    I know, but again I'm still questioning the safety of bumping up the speed to play Flight Simulator then turning it back down. In the future I do plan on moving to water cooling and overclocking permanently.
  5. Best answer
    Lancett said:
    USAFRet said:
    Lancett said:
    CG_Gamer said:
    What are you using for your CPU cooler?


    The stock heat-sink and stock fan which aren't too great to be honest, I doubt they even have "model" names so to speak. I'm more interested about the safety of overclocking and unoverclocking just to play Flight Simulator X rather than getting advice on my hardware however.


    Asking about the cooling situation is a crucial part of overclocking. Generally, the stock fans are not up to the task.


    I know, but again I'm still questioning the safety of bumping up the speed to play Flight Simulator then turning it back down. In the future I do plan on moving to water cooling and overclocking permanently.


    With that stock sink and fan, I wouldn't do it at all.
  6. Hello - Overclocking is a tricky thing to do, personally I haven't done it. That being said, OCing your components does impact/increase your temperatures, which is why having an aftermarket cooler is normally recommended (as USAFRet has mentioned). I just did a quick search for you an learned the suggested max temp is between 65C and 70C - so if you do choose to OC, then keep an eye your temp, make sure it doesn't go above that range. You'll probably need CPU temperature monitor tool too...like Real Temp: http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

    Good luck!
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking Processors