Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Best budget gaming cpu

Last response: in CPUs
Share
October 25, 2013 8:11:38 PM

I am building a pc and I want to know the best cpu I can get for cheap. I will be getting a gigabyte r9 280x, too. I was looking at a i5 3350p, i3 4130/4340, or should I just bump to a i5 4670k?

More about : budget gaming cpu

a b 4 Gaming
a c 162 à CPUs
October 25, 2013 8:16:21 PM

well if u want to overclock eventually or right away u must get the k or else get the cheapest one with the highest clock speed stock

Best solution

a c 217 4 Gaming
a c 131 à CPUs
a b å Intel
October 25, 2013 8:33:18 PM
Share

If overclocking then the 4670k would be your best bet, the i5 4430 is a nice CPU for non overclockers. You may also save more cash in going with a non k series i5 since H87 and B85 mobos and below are cheaper too, and getting a 4670k or so would also require a decent Z87 board for overclocking.
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2013 9:25:30 PM

If you're looking for a good gaming CPU and not planning on overclocking, I'd stick with the higher end i3 or a non k series i5. If you want to overclock though go with the 4670k.
October 25, 2013 9:34:40 PM

Im not an "expert" or anything but Im sure it depends on what kind of gaming. Intense (exp. COD/BF4) or Free online stuff (exp. Soldier Front 2/Blacklight Retribution/Hawken) if intense definately go with the i5, depending on GPU matchup you might only get medium/high graphics oppesed to max if your GPU isnt that great. If your building because you play games like WOW, or any other online free to play game, A Intel Core 2 Quad would do the trick (but not the Q8200, its the lower end of the series now) matched with a Nvidia Geforce 520 (I know GPU fans, I know.. its older but, reliable and usually more than what you need to play games like WOW on med/high graphics depending on CPU) also paired with 6-8 gigs or ram.. (intense gaming should go with 16 depending on quality wants) ... but then again.. Im just sayin lol
a c 217 4 Gaming
a c 131 à CPUs
a b å Intel
October 25, 2013 9:40:27 PM

Nope, gaming only requires 8 gigs of ram (16 gigs or so is for those who want to do video rendering and intensive tasks etc.), and op is clearly thinking of pairing a higher end 280x with a good CPU, so evidently the i5 will be better. The Core 2 Quad is more than 5 years old now and no one is going to buy them for a new build unless they are just upgrading an old LGA775 socket motherboard. The lower end of the spectrum nowadays are the Pentium G series, none of which would be good enough to pair with the 280x that he wants.
October 25, 2013 9:42:20 PM

lol Im js.. depends on what kind of gaming.. and depends on his budget.. if hes only playing online games he wouldnt have to spend that much for somethin he wouldnt need.. Thats all Im really saying but I went into detail and stuff, am also learning myself.
a c 217 4 Gaming
a c 131 à CPUs
a b å Intel
October 25, 2013 9:44:10 PM

That's true if he had an old system, he wouldn't need much. A 280x is made for higher end gaming and would have the best results paired with a capable CPU, no one would buy that to play low end free games :D 
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2013 9:45:50 PM

I disagree with a lot of what you just said, most specifically the RAM comment. 8GB will be more than enough for the average gaming build, while it's nice to have extra, if it's not being used it's not being used. For the CPU comment, there is no reason he should even consider a Core 2 Quad. Yes, they still work, but an ix series is a much better choice since it is more accessible and it will have a better PPD than a Core 2 Quad (assuming you could still find one). As for the GPU, OP has one picked out, so why make a suggestion?
a c 217 4 Gaming
a c 131 à CPUs
a b å Intel
October 25, 2013 9:47:45 PM

Exactly, a second hand core 2 quad is also fairly expensive since they are the best choice for the old LGA775 socket. No one would buy a 280x and suddenly pair that with 5 year old tech. It's best to learn a bit more before giving advice, it may mislead some people, but it's good that you're willing to learn a bit.
October 25, 2013 9:52:04 PM

P1nnacle said:
I disagree with a lot of what you just said, most specifically the RAM comment. 8GB will be more than enough for the average gaming build, while it's nice to have extra, if it's not being used it's not being used. For the CPU comment, there is no reason he should even consider a Core 2 Quad. Yes, they still work, but an ix series is a much better choice since it is more accessible and it will have a better PPD than a Core 2 Quad (assuming you could still find one). As for the GPU, OP has one picked out, so why make a suggestion?


Im just trying to help his budget.... Yea your right I guess because with the extra ram in there thats not needed will most likely put more uneeded stress on the CPU.. but about the quad core thing.. I have 1st hand expierience with a VERY nice C2Q .. and Im only saying he should consider one if its just for FREE ONLINE gaming, not Battlefield or somethin.. he should def get the i5 for more intense gaming but heres a VERY nice C2Q online available for a reasonable price http://www.outletpc.com/re8342.html?gclid=COXHlpDZs7oCF... .. remember in the title it says BUDGET.. and if he doesnt need the i5 or i3 if hes only playing free online stuff then why spend the extra money where not needed? Im no expert like I said.. Im still learning myself and you guys help me learn these things. Your right. But im also right about what Im trying to explain lol.. you got me on the ram thing tho
October 25, 2013 9:55:54 PM

but your right.. I should learn more before giving advice
a c 217 4 Gaming
a c 131 à CPUs
a b å Intel
October 25, 2013 10:00:24 PM

That's good to hear, the Core 2 series requires an LGA775 motherboard which has no upgrade path and no room for improvement, the newest CPUs use the LGA1150 socket so that would be worse for the budget in the long term if you went with old tech, getting an i5 and a decent mobo in one go is the best choice to go with. Also, the i5 4430 can be had for just a little more ($15 or so) than that C2Q and is about twice as fast, amazing how fast technology progresses aye? :D 
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2013 10:03:36 PM

Jason Hutchinson said:
but your right.. I should learn more before giving advice


I didn't mean to come off as rude if I did, I just really dislike bringing up several generations old technology for a new build. Not because it is necessarily bad or slow, but it causes way too many problems when it comes to acquisition and upgrading.
a c 217 4 Gaming
a c 131 à CPUs
a b å Intel
October 25, 2013 10:05:09 PM

Haha don't worry, that one was directed at me
October 25, 2013 10:05:51 PM

Jason Hutchinson said:
P1nnacle said:
I disagree with a lot of what you just said, most specifically the RAM comment. 8GB will be more than enough for the average gaming build, while it's nice to have extra, if it's not being used it's not being used. For the CPU comment, there is no reason he should even consider a Core 2 Quad. Yes, they still work, but an ix series is a much better choice since it is more accessible and it will have a better PPD than a Core 2 Quad (assuming you could still find one). As for the GPU, OP has one picked out, so why make a suggestion?


Im just trying to help his budget.... Yea your right I guess because with the extra ram in there thats not needed will most likely put more uneeded stress on the CPU.. but about the quad core thing.. I have 1st hand expierience with a VERY nice C2Q .. and Im only saying he should consider one if its just for FREE ONLINE gaming, not Battlefield or somethin.. he should def get the i5 for more intense gaming but heres a VERY nice C2Q online available for a reasonable price http://www.outletpc.com/re8342.html?gclid=COXHlpDZs7oCF... .. remember in the title it says BUDGET.. and if he doesnt need the i5 or i3 if hes only playing free online stuff then why spend the extra money where not needed? Im no expert like I said.. Im still learning myself and you guys help me learn these things. Your right. But im also right about what Im trying to explain lol.. you got me on the ram thing tho


OK, I'm very confused. Why would you recommend a Quad 8300 for $160, given the significantly better options for $10-$20 more?
a c 217 4 Gaming
a c 131 à CPUs
a b å Intel
October 25, 2013 10:07:43 PM

^He's still learning, let's drop the subject before we go off topic :D 
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2013 10:12:17 PM

rolandzhang3 said:
Haha don't worry, that one was directed at me


Well I reread mine and it sounded a little strong, better safe than sorry. I agree, we're getting off topic.
October 26, 2013 12:48:45 AM

P1nnacle said:
rolandzhang3 said:
Haha don't worry, that one was directed at me


Well I reread mine and it sounded a little strong, better safe than sorry. I agree, we're getting off topic.


lol i didnt realize it was only a little more to get the much better option. I will do my research next time before saying anything! and its ok I dont scare easy man you didnt seem like you cme on too strong, I actually appreciate you telling me how it really is then letting me believe my somewhat false info lol.
October 26, 2013 8:45:34 AM

I think I will go with an i5 4670k as it is more future proof.
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2013 9:26:39 AM

Good to hear you decided, hopefully we were of some help to you!
October 26, 2013 8:24:15 PM

Thank you guys. Just felt I should get some community input.
a c 217 4 Gaming
a c 131 à CPUs
a b å Intel
October 26, 2013 8:37:06 PM

Have fun mate :D 
October 26, 2013 9:29:13 PM

rolandzhang3 said:
Have fun mate :D 

Believe me, I will. :lol: 
!