$350 disposable to spend, want to use it on my gaming pc, suggestions?

Liam Murphy

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
Hey all!

So right now I have $350 disposable, which is amazing I already have quite a beast system, but I might want to take it further. Here are my current specs, then below them I'll list some ideas i had, I want to hear your suggestions too!

I use this system for heavy media encoding (i.e Premiere Pro, Photoshop, Illustrator etc) and for gaming. Oh and I also record gameplay videos and upload them to youtube, I already have a Blue Yeti microphone.

CPU: AMD FX 8350 w/ Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
GPU: Windforce Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 2 GB
RAM: 16 GB 1866 Mhz
MOBO: Asus Sabertooth 990fx
PSU: PC power and cooling silver 950w
HDD Space: 3 1 TB hard drives = 3 TB total
Case: NZXT Phantom full-size tower

So, here are some ideas I had.

1: Get a second 770, I only game on 1 1080p monitor, but if I can get 60 fps on some upcoming games like AC4 maxed out that'd be awesome. I'm willing to spend $400 on this because in the upcoming holiday bundle for the 770 I'll get AC4, Batman: Arkham Origins, and Splinter Cell: Blacklist for FREE.

2: Upgrade several, smaller things. Like geting a Noctua NHU14s for more OC'ing, get better headphones ( I only have a cheap $15 yapster headset lol)

3: Random idea: Upgrade to a intel system, probably can't do that with $350 unless I want a xeon or something, this idea isn't that good.

4: Any ideas you guys might have?

Thanks so much guys!

Solution
I would first buy a ssd for the os. 120gb at least, preferably 240gb. You will be amazed at the difference.

If you have funds left, buy a second 1080P monitor.
It is most useful for everyday work.
While gaming, you can keep email or monitors active on the side monitor.

Liam Murphy

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013

I am ALL about value for the money, hence a cpu like the amd fx 8350. I don't want to spend $250 on JUST a headset. Besides I don't need a headset, I've already got a Blue Yeti desktop microphone. I don't want to spend more than $100 on headphones if I go for option #2.

P1nnacle

Distinguished
Well it's all up to personal choice, and there are different headsets that are cheaper, I'd just point out that your cheaper peripherals are probably part of the problem with #1, if you don't know what your system is fully capable of doing, how can you know what to upgrade?

Liam Murphy

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013

The reason #1 is an option is because I already have a great keyboard/mouse, I'm not an audiophile so I'm actually happy with my cheap headphones. I just like to hear as many opinions as possible. :D

P1nnacle

Distinguished

Well in that case I'd go with number 1, but you should think about getting a slightly better pair of headphones, they will help you in games. I know logitech sells a nice pair for 40-50 ish dollars.

I would first buy a ssd for the os. 120gb at least, preferably 240gb. You will be amazed at the difference.

If you have funds left, buy a second 1080P monitor.
It is most useful for everyday work.
While gaming, you can keep email or monitors active on the side monitor.

Solution

Liam Murphy

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013

This is not a bad idea at all. I might just buy the 120g, save some money. Anyone have experience with Avermedia capture cards for PC's? The ones that go into the PCI slots? Because I record videos that would help a ton with performance.

P1nnacle

Distinguished

From What I've read, the capture cards are really helpful for recording, takes a lot of processing away from your GPU. Pair that with an SSD, and while you'd have to reinstall your OS, that would be a good combo.

Liam Murphy

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013

Okay, that is probably the way to go. Thanks P1nnacle and everyone else! I will leave it unsolved for maybe an hour longer and hear any other options, but I'll probably pick your post P1nnacle is the solution. Thanks again. :D