Solved

fx-8350 vs i5-4670k gaming

I been thinking so much about what cpu to get and my choises are just get a fx-8350 since i already have and amd board the asus m5a99x evo which i been really happy with so gonna overclock the fx-8350 on it, have the fx-4100 atm clocked at 4,2 ghz atm no voltage increase.

And my other option would be intel and change mobo too, and it would be i5-4670k + asus maximum vi hero mobo.

So i know intel peforms better in most games, so i have been wondering alot if it is worth spending alot more to go intel and change mobo and all or just get an fx-8350.

So i guess my question now is which one would peform better and keep and 60+ fps in almost all games even bf3/4 multiplayer? If both can keep and 60+ constant fps in most games i think its better to get an fx-8350 because it would be much cheaper and peform very well.

So would the fx-8350 be able to keep 60+ fps in most games for the coming 2+ years about?

If i get the fx-8350 i can most likley get an gigabyte r9-280x and xfire it with my gigabyte 7970 oc edition. but thats not sure yet.

So please give me your opinions. i am a hardcore gamer i play alot of new games almost all fps/action games and i want my gameplay to be as good as possible and smooth, and i will uppgrade later maybe in a year or some months to an 1440p or 1600p ips monitor or then go eyefinity and get 3 1080p ips screens, but that too is just a maybe, loving and playing smooth atm on my normal led 1080p 27" asus monitor.

Spec:

cpu: amd fx-4100 OC 4,2 Ghz
mobo: asus m5a99x evo
ram: kingston 16gb 1333 mhz 4x4 gb sticks
gpu: Gigabyte radeon HD 7970 oc 1000 mhz
storage: 120 gb ssd 60x2 ocz and 1tb normal hdd
cooler: antec kuhler 620
case: fractal design core 3000
psu: 730w thermaltake SP-730AH2NH
optical drive: LG bluray station
fan controller: Lamptron Fan Controller FC5 V2
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 8350 4670k gaming
  1. FX 8350, no question. With the arrival of the next gen consoles games will utilize more cores. In fact, some already do, BF4 and Crysis 3. The FX 8350 is cheaper and you need not buy a new mobo. Get maybe a corsair H100i or a Cooler Master Seidon 240m and you can get some serious overclocks (4.8Ghz +).
  2. Im not sure how good the 8350 is as i have never used anything amd, but i just built my first gaming rig using a i5 4670k and a MSI-Z87-G45 MOBO combied with a GTX 660 SC and i can run battlefield 3 at 60 fps all day long:) The i5 is not overclocked at all as i havent had the need to yet, but im sure the new gen will require some overclocking. In short i am so impressed with the i5 i will almost always stick with intel unless amd really makes a processor that is better than intel for around the same price range.
  3. If you are into Video Editing, streaming, rendering, the 8350 is a good choice, but that's not to say i5 isn't! BF4 will run on athlons, so you would be alright on either side.
  4. Derppppp said:
    FX 8350, no question. With the arrival of the next gen consoles games will utilize more cores. In fact, some already do, BF4 and Crysis 3. The FX 8350 is cheaper and you need not buy a new mobo. Get maybe a corsair H100i or a Cooler Master Seidon 240m and you can get some serious overclocks (4.8Ghz +).

yea i have a cooler already the antec khuler 620 sorry forgot to post my specs
  5. If you need single threaded performance go with the core i5 4670k.

I would recommend the FX 8350 because it has more execution units (although they are weaker) but in the future this will be useful for games as the next gen consoles are both using AMD 8 cores. I think games in the future will become more threaded suiting the 8350s architecture. Also look at games like Crisis 3 which supports up to 8 threads running simultaneously where the 8350 smokes the non multithreaded quad core intels in terms of frameate.

The i5 will preform good now but in the future I think it will lag behind the 8350 a bit. Although the i5 will be faster in older games they are usually less demanding and the 8350 should have no bother with them too.

They are both good CPUs but if you want similar performance at less cost get the 8350. With the savings made on the 8350 you could get that new GPU you want as well as you don't need a new motherboard as you were saying.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Edit: You could save even more money by getting an 8320 and overclocking it to the same speeds as an 8350. That means more pocket money for games or sweets or something like that.
  6. I suggest I5, truth of the matter is that the bright FX-8350 future only exists on paper - right now I5 is simply better in most of the games around and that is a fact, while FX theory is severely lacking in any real world proof, ATM.

Despite the consoles hype, I believe things won't be changing much for PC gaming in the near 2-3 years for a simple reason that about 97% of all gamers are using Quad and Dual core CPUs', meaning that any PC game or port will, first of all, be optimised for Quad Cores and this trend will continue for years to come.

On the other hand, FX-8350 is great enough to play even non-optimised games for it well. The only grand exceptions I can think about where FX completely blows are Skyrim, Starcraft 2, WoW and Planetside 2.

Added: Another not so obvious but important advantage for I5-4670k is that you will get motherboard with a newer and more advanced chipset that supports PCI-E 3.0 and has more USB3 ports, thus in the long run it may actually be more future proof, since it is guaranteed to be compatible with whatever new hardware that will come out in a span of several years.
  7. Gaidax said:
    I suggest I5, truth of the matter is that the bright FX-8350 future only exists on paper - right now I5 is simply better in most of the games around and that is a fact, while FX theory is severely lacking in any real world proof, ATM.

Despite the consoles hype, I believe things won't be changing much for PC gaming in the near 2-3 years for a simple reason that about 97% of all gamers are using Quad and Dual core CPUs', meaning that any PC game or port will first and for all be optimised for Quad Cores and this trend will continue for years to come.

On the other hand, FX-8350 is great enough to play even non-optimised games for it well. The only grand exceptions I can think about where FX completely blows are Skyrim, Starcraft 2, WoW and Planetside 2.

Added: Another not so obvious but important advantage for I5-4670k is that you will get motherboard with a newer and more advanced chipset that supports PCI-E 3.0 and has more USB3 ports, thus in the long run it may actually be more future proof, since it is guaranteed to be compatible with whatever new hardware that will come out in a span of several years.

Dude, I'm using the older Zambezi based AMD FX-6100 overclocked and it's handling Skyrim on ultra details perfectly fine with my HD 7850.
  8. Best answer
    Get the 8350 and just overclock it to 4.7 - 5ghz. You have a very good motherboard and cooler, don't waste them and spend more money then you have too on a new mobo/cpu for a few extra fps that you won't even notice.
  9. The i5 is better in games. However, simply buying the FX-8350 will be less expensive since you already have the motherboard.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i5