Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

delete this thread delete this thread delete this thread delete this thread delete

Last response: in CPUs
Share
October 29, 2013 7:09:56 AM

delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2013 7:27:06 AM

I had a similar graphics issues with the 8.1 upgrade as well as the 13.11 beta driver. The resolution issue for me was resolved be using the under/over scan setting in CCC under the My Flat Panel tab. I was under-scanning which dropped my res to an unsupported res. I didn't have as severe of a crashing issue, but I couldn't get CCC to install properly until I disable my second vid card and 4th monitor.
October 29, 2013 7:27:45 AM

have you got any linux liveCDs or any other bootable OSs handy? you could try booting from another OS and see if the monitor signal is stable. if it is hardware issue it could be the RAM or the hard drive, it may seem like a n unrelated component but I've seen a faulty hard drive half boot up Windows and then kills the monitor signal even after I re-installed everything.
Related resources
October 29, 2013 7:40:24 AM

jwk3 said:
have you got any linux liveCDs or any other bootable OSs handy? you could try booting from another OS and see if the monitor signal is stable. if it is hardware issue it could be the RAM or the hard drive, it may seem like a n unrelated component but I've seen a faulty hard drive half boot up Windows and then kills the monitor signal even after I re-installed everything.


I do not have any other bootable OS's handy. I do have an external hard drive that I could put an OS on, but I don't think that would do much. Very frustrating issue to have. I really doubt it is a hardware issue since everything was working perfectly fine for months prior to me trying to make this upgrade. I have a feeling the installation messed up my BIOS. I do have a system image I can try and restore to, but I rather not lose everything since the image was made basically right after I first built my PC.
a c 110 à CPUs
a b * Windows 8
October 29, 2013 8:55:26 AM

Hey,

1) RESTORE POINT - I don't believe you are supposed to rollback prior to the 8.1 update as that can cause further problems.

2) The ERRORS during the 8.1 update have me concerned. It appears you already had an issue somewhere but installing 8.1 may have exacerbated the problem.

3) AMD video driver. Again, you already had errors noted BEFORE installing the new driver so hard to say what's causing the problem.

4) *Unfortunately, my only recommendation is to restore to the IMAGE you'd created of W8:

a) backup any data (most SAVE GAMES are inside the "Documents" folder
b) restore the W8 Image

c) then WAIT for another month or two for Microsoft and other companies to fix issues related to the W8.1 update. Since 8.1 adds so little just ignore it for now.

d) Then, when you DO upgrade, make a complete Image just prior to starting the download to install 8.1.

*I use Start8 to avoid the new interface anyway. W8 is better under the hood but I just don't like the new Solitaire interface. And, ironically I can't find the simple Solitaire game I used to play in W7 just something different I don't like.
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2013 9:12:46 AM

beegeepee said:
11816087,0,696456 said:

I do not have any other bootable OS's handy. I do have an external hard drive that I could put an OS on, but I don't think that would do much. Very frustrating issue to have. I really doubt it is a hardware issue since everything was working perfectly fine for months prior to me trying to make this upgrade. I have a feeling the installation messed up my BIOS. I do have a system image I can try and restore to, but I rather not lose everything since the image was made basically right after I first built my PC.
said:


It's not a hardware issue. I have 3 native displayport monitors and have had intermittent issues. Most of the time I can just cycle the monitor's power and the card will recognize it again. As far as I could tell my AMD card would pump out an unsupported res and the display would just shut off. Sorry for no real resolution to your problem but I highly doubt its hardware. I suspect it's just something to do with CCC with displayport. FYI My DVI or HDMI outputs never have this issue.
October 29, 2013 9:16:33 AM

photonboy said:
Hey,

1) RESTORE POINT - I don't believe you are supposed to rollback prior to the 8.1 update as that can cause further problems.

2) The ERRORS during the 8.1 update have me concerned. It appears you already had an issue somewhere but installing 8.1 may have exacerbated the problem.

3) AMD video driver. Again, you already had errors noted BEFORE installing the new driver so hard to say what's causing the problem.

4) *Unfortunately, my only recommendation is to restore to the IMAGE you'd created of W8:

a) backup any data (most SAVE GAMES are inside the "Documents" folder
b) restore the W8 Image

c) then WAIT for another month or two for Microsoft and other companies to fix issues related to the W8.1 update. Since 8.1 adds so little just ignore it for now.

d) Then, when you DO upgrade, make a complete Image just prior to starting the download to install 8.1.

*I use Start8 to avoid the new interface anyway. W8 is better under the hood but I just don't like the new Solitaire interface. And, ironically I can't find the simple Solitaire game I used to play in W7 just something different I don't like.


I am curious, so I have Windows currently installed on my SSD, but most of my saved files, games, etc are on my HDD. If I do an image restore would that only reset everything on my SSD? If it resets everything on both drives how can I get to them to save my files onto my external hard drive?

Best solution

a c 110 à CPUs
a b * Windows 8
October 30, 2013 3:04:07 PM
Share

Hi,
(you may want to PRINT this for reference. It seems complicated but it's not too bad. Learning how to properly backup and restore is a big deal.)

The IMAGE restores the C-drive in EXACTLY the same condition it was in when the backup was made. So:

1) If a program was installed to a different drive it will STILL be accessible provided the drive letter didn't change (unlikely, and you can change it back)

2) If a program was installed AFTER the image was created that you restore the folder will exist on the separate drive but it won't work since the Windows drive has no registry settings etc as part of the installation.

3) STEAM GAMES - these are an exception. You can move your entire Steam installation and re-initialize it without downloading the games again. There is a link to explain this. Non-Steam games are like any other program usually and would have to be re-installed IF they weren't installed PRIOR to the restore point.

4) SAVE GAMES - It's a good idea to backup the entire DOCUMENTS folder so you can copy it back as all this data is lost.


Example:
1) Copy Documents folder from SSD to HDD (make a special folder)
2) Write down names of programs/games you installed AFTER the Backup Image was created (if you can remember. Another clue is they aren't there later..)
3) MOVE the Steam folder if's on the SSD to the HDD (put in the special folder for now)
4) RESTORE the Windows Image
5) Reinstall any programs
6) Reinitialize Steam (Google this or I can give a link)
7) Copy Documents folder back (fully, or in pieces if you feel comfortable)
8) Finally, when everything is working great make a new IMAGE of Windows 8 (not 8.1). I prefer Acronis True Image. (SSD backup to HDD)
9) Wait and do the W8.1 update in another month or two. Make a full IMAGE immediately before so you can Restore if you have issues.

*I've found over the years that you can troubleshoot strange glitches for hours and hours when restoring (once you've learned how) is often faster and more reliable. Get Acronis True Image to create WEEKLY automated backups, and SyncbackSE or similar for critical folders to backup DAILY (like the Documents folder) and life is so much better after a crash/virus/glitch etc.

I've learned to do this as well for my family who would lose all their personal pictures, videos and documents.
October 30, 2013 4:33:04 PM

HEY EVERYONE I FIXED IT!

It was sort of a combination of all answers so I am just going to say what ended up fixing it for me in hopes it helps someone else. I TRULY APPRECIATE ALL OF YOUR HELP!! You are all very helpful people.

So, after I got it to boot into safe mode, I ran CCleaner and cleared everything it possibly could as well as fixing all registry issues. ((Not sure which forum I found this on sorry)

Then, I ran driver sweeper. Again, I analyzed and cleaned everything it found. (Not sure which forum I found this on sorry)

I uninstalled Lucid VirtuMVP (suggested by MONSTA!)

Let it restart in normal mode and TADAAA!!! it actually loaded up (on my MOBO's gpu).

Then I installed the beta 13.11 drivers for my specific GPU (from AMD's website). I lost signal from my HDMI (connected to MOBO) so I switched to DVI connection (connected to Dedicated GPU) TADAAAA! working computer again!

Been a rough and long 2 days searching forums, troubleshooting, and trial and error. But this so far seems to have fixed the issue (fingers crossed).

Again thanks everyone! Hope this helps others with the same issue!

BEEGEEPEE
December 13, 2013 8:35:10 AM

photonboy said:
Hi,
(you may want to PRINT this for reference. It seems complicated but it's not too bad. Learning how to properly backup and restore is a big deal.)

The IMAGE restores the C-drive in EXACTLY the same condition it was in when the backup was made. So:

1) If a program was installed to a different drive it will STILL be accessible provided the drive letter didn't change (unlikely, and you can change it back)

2) If a program was installed AFTER the image was created that you restore the folder will exist on the separate drive but it won't work since the Windows drive has no registry settings etc as part of the installation.

3) STEAM GAMES - these are an exception. You can move your entire Steam installation and re-initialize it without downloading the games again. There is a link to explain this. Non-Steam games are like any other program usually and would have to be re-installed IF they weren't installed PRIOR to the restore point.

4) SAVE GAMES - It's a good idea to backup the entire DOCUMENTS folder so you can copy it back as all this data is lost.


Example:
1) Copy Documents folder from SSD to HDD (make a special folder)
2) Write down names of programs/games you installed AFTER the Backup Image was created (if you can remember. Another clue is they aren't there later..)
3) MOVE the Steam folder if's on the SSD to the HDD (put in the special folder for now)
4) RESTORE the Windows Image
5) Reinstall any programs
6) Reinitialize Steam (Google this or I can give a link)
7) Copy Documents folder back (fully, or in pieces if you feel comfortable)
8) Finally, when everything is working great make a new IMAGE of Windows 8 (not 8.1). I prefer Acronis True Image. (SSD backup to HDD)
9) Wait and do the W8.1 update in another month or two. Make a full IMAGE immediately before so you can Restore if you have issues.

*I've found over the years that you can troubleshoot strange glitches for hours and hours when restoring (once you've learned how) is often faster and more reliable. Get Acronis True Image to create WEEKLY automated backups, and SyncbackSE or similar for critical folders to backup DAILY (like the Documents folder) and life is so much better after a crash/virus/glitch etc.

I've learned to do this as well for my family who would lose all their personal pictures, videos and documents.


What the fuck? I answered my own question on October 30th 2013 and you somehow get the best answer? That makes sense. . . Your answer was a terrible generic lazy answer any tech would give. Worthless.
December 13, 2013 8:43:52 AM

delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
December 13, 2013 8:44:05 AM

delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
delete this thread
December 13, 2013 8:44:10 AM

delete this thread
December 13, 2013 8:44:16 AM

delete this thread
December 13, 2013 8:44:22 AM

delete this thread
!