Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Will disabling hyperthreading on my notebook increase gaming performance?

Tags:
  • Battlefield
  • Intel i5
  • Gaming
  • Notebooks
  • CPUs
  • Hyperthreading
Last response: in CPUs
Share
October 29, 2013 9:48:48 PM

I'm a huge fan of Battlefield (since 1942) and i'm just curious if disabling hyperthreading on my notebook will increase framerate? Right now i'm playing BF4 on low with an average of 35 - 40 FPS, I ran BF3 at around 50 - 60 FPS on low as well (college, desktop is at home)

I usually tend to run most games quite well 60+FPS on high settings on the notebook (Bioshock, etc.) but I know some games don't utilize hyper threading.

Another quick question how exactly would I disable hyperthreading? No options in my BIOS, here are my specs.

Intel Core i5 3210m 2.50Ghz.
Nvidia Geforce GT630M 2GB
8GB RAM.
Win.7 Home Premium (64 bit)
HP Pavillion DV6 Notebook

More about : disabling hyperthreading notebook increase gaming performance

October 29, 2013 10:08:37 PM

I'm pretty sure the i5's don't even have hyperthreading
m
0
l
Related resources
October 29, 2013 10:10:49 PM

Dleslie212 said:
I'm pretty sure the i5's don't even have hyperthreading


Yeah I think you're right.
m
0
l
October 29, 2013 10:13:00 PM

Mopkap said:
Dleslie212 said:
I'm pretty sure the i5's don't even have hyperthreading


Yeah I think you're right.



I just read that there are some i5 dual cores with hyperthreading that were made specifically and only for laptops. Maybe he has one of those.

Which i5 do you have?

m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2013 10:16:57 PM

In the mobile space, core i5's are dual core, hyperthreaded cpu's. So they have 2 cores and 4 logical processors (threads).

Do not disable hyperthreading. It will only hurt performance. If a game is only optimized for 2 threads, then only 2 threads will be used. The other two threads will be left to do other background tasks.

Edit: For reference. In mobile cpu's: core i3's are 2 core/2 threads. Core i5's are 2 core/4 threads. Core i7's are usually 4 core/8 threads, but can be 2 core/4 thread (these are clocked higher).
Share
October 29, 2013 10:17:14 PM

Dleslie212 said:
Mopkap said:
Dleslie212 said:
I'm pretty sure the i5's don't even have hyperthreading


Yeah I think you're right.



I just read that there are some i5 dual cores with hyperthreading that were made specifically and only for laptops. Maybe he has one of those.

Which i5 do you have?



Who were you asking when you said "Which i5 do you have?"
m
0
l
October 29, 2013 10:31:32 PM

Mopkap said:
Dleslie212 said:
Mopkap said:
Dleslie212 said:
I'm pretty sure the i5's don't even have hyperthreading


Yeah I think you're right.



I just read that there are some i5 dual cores with hyperthreading that were made specifically and only for laptops. Maybe he has one of those.

Which i5 do you have?



Who were you asking when you said "Which i5 do you have?"



The OP.

Fuda - don't forget the i7s with 6 core /12 thread!! :) 
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2013 11:07:08 PM

Dleslie212 said:


The OP.

Fuda - don't forget the i7s with 6 core /12 thread!! :) 


Well...current 4th gen mobile i7 extreme's are still 4/8 =D
m
0
l
!