Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

How to clone a drive with bad sectors?

Tags:
  • Storage
  • Hard Drives
  • Netbooks
Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
October 30, 2013 4:45:22 AM

I'm currently fixing a friends netbook, which the hard drive would freak out after about 5 minutes and stop being detected. I took it apart and found tons of corrosion on the drive's pcb, and the interface was not making a good connection with the drive itself.

I have it working now, no more freakouts, but they still want to replace the drive. I ran chkdsk, and found that there are 4kb in bad sectors. I pulled up macrium reflect, and it gets an error about 23% through the drive copy, because of this bad sector. I tried clonezilla, and got a "failure to copy" and then it just stops.

Whats a program I can use to get this drive cloned? its a netbook so there's no dvd drive, and the factory restore partition only wants to rewrite the hard drive, it wont let me make a bootable disk.

More about : clone drive bad sectors

Best solution

a c 760 G Storage
October 30, 2013 7:01:18 AM

All drive-imaging and cloning software operates in the same way so if you've tried two without success it's going to be the same whatever you use.

If your friend needs data rescuing from the drive you'll have to put it into an external enclosure and see what, if anything, can be copied from it. Whatever you do, the drive will have to be replaced anyway so your friend is right about that.

If your friend had backed up his/her data when the drive was working okay, (or better still created a disk image of it) the drive could then have been replaced without worrying about losing anything.
Share
a b G Storage
October 30, 2013 9:28:29 PM

Old version of Norton Ghost has the option of Force cloning. This clones the drive even it has bad sectors.
Not sure if newer version still has this feature.
m
0
l
Related resources
Anonymous
November 1, 2013 1:59:03 PM

Thank you for the replies, I ended up just reinstalling windows via usb stick. I had no problem getting their data off the drive. Its just odd how such a small portion of a drive can screw up an entire cloning process.
m
0
l
February 22, 2014 5:40:53 PM

lp231 said:
Old version of Norton Ghost has the option of Force cloning. This clones the drive even it has bad sectors.
Not sure if newer version still has this feature.


Force cloning sounds like what I need (machine runs fine, I just can't restore, repair or clone due to the disk errors). Do you know what specific version of Ghost offers this option? Thank you!!

m
0
l
April 8, 2015 3:30:41 AM

Phillip Corcoran said:
All drive-imaging and cloning software operates in the same way so if you've tried two without success it's going to be the same whatever you use..


Not true. Most cloning software does not allow you to ignore bad clusters and continue the cloning process, but some do, like Paragon Hard Disk Manager.

Just because one cloning program or another can't clone a drive, it doesn't mean another can't. They do NOT "all work the same way".

I have tried many different cloning software products, and while many were never developed with a feature to ignore bad clusters, which was the fault of the developers, there are products which will. I believe the Linux DD program will clone drives while ignoring bad clusters (you can use a Ubuntu disk to boot from do this without installing anything on the drive itself - there's some videos on youtube on how to do this), and Paragon Hard Disk Manager will also clone drives that other cloning programs were unable to clone.

They do NOT all work the same.

m
1
l
April 19, 2015 1:50:47 PM

gmeades said:
Phillip Corcoran said:
All drive-imaging and cloning software operates in the same way so if you've tried two without success it's going to be the same whatever you use..


Not true. Most cloning software does not allow you to ignore bad clusters and continue the cloning process, but some do, like Paragon Hard Disk Manager.

Just because one cloning program or another can't clone a drive, it doesn't mean another can't. They do NOT "all work the same way".

I have tried many different cloning software products, and while many were never developed with a feature to ignore bad clusters, which was the fault of the developers, there are products which will. I believe the Linux DD program will clone drives while ignoring bad clusters (you can use a Ubuntu disk to boot from do this without installing anything on the drive itself - there's some videos on youtube on how to do this), and Paragon Hard Disk Manager will also clone drives that other cloning programs were unable to clone.

They do NOT all work the same.



Hi. i have a 1TB hard drive that has bad sectors on it. I want to make a copy of the drive before I begin to try to repair it. I tried using Macrium Reflect and received the following error "Backup aborted! - Unable to read from disk - Error Code 23 - Data error (cyclic redundancy check)." Macrium has a feature "ignore bad sectors" which in their manual is described as "Enabling this option will cause Macrium Reflect ignore any bad sectors on the disk when creating images." With this feature checked off will the copy contain the bad sectors as well or will it skip them and only copy the good sectors. I want all of the data, i.e. the good and bad sectors. If this won't get me what I want, is there a way to do this?
Thanks.
m
0
l
May 20, 2015 1:36:13 PM

aPe3 said:
lp231 said:
Old version of Norton Ghost has the option of Force cloning. This clones the drive even it has bad sectors.
Not sure if newer version still has this feature.


Force cloning sounds like what I need (machine runs fine, I just can't restore, repair or clone due to the disk errors). Do you know what specific version of Ghost offers this option? Thank you!!



m
0
l