Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New Gaming PC Build, Need some Feedback and/or Suggestions

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 30, 2013 5:20:19 AM

Hey,
Just updating my PC which has gone strong from help from you guys 4 years ago but its starting to show its age and I have some money and I figured its time to build a new computer. So far Here is what I have come up with. Pcpartpicker.com did not have all of the products so I included links to the pieces on New Egg.


CPU: Intel Core i7-4820K. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4gb http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Motherboard: MSI X79A GD45A PLus http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Power Supply: AZZA Titan 1000W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Optical Drive:LG Black 14X BD-R http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have 2 500gb internal harddrives that work well, but i am not opposed to a SSD. I also need help picking out a heatsink. My current case is an Antec 1100, but I also am not opposed to getting a different one if it is better.

Any suggestions if anything is overkill or I out of place are welcome. Thanks for feedback in advance if I do not respond to your reply.
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2013 5:33:05 AM

h80i from corsair might be a nice option.

ssd will definitly be the way to go, as it provides a really nice speed buff
m
0
l
October 30, 2013 5:34:28 AM

Yes core i 7 is overkill . I would buy the core i 5 instead of i 7 and would spend the money on better gpu .
m
0
l
Related resources
October 30, 2013 5:35:13 AM

Will you overclock or not? because if not get the non-k version and save on the heatsink. If your only purpose for this computer is gaming, then 16gb is overkill. Save a few bucks with 8gb. Also, i dont know much about psu but i think 1000w is also overkill. My 2 cents.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
a c 161 B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2013 5:35:49 AM

To be honest, pretty much everything is kinda overkill. You don't list what your monitor is, or which games you will be playing, so it's a bit hard to say what kind of graphics power you need.

Socket 2011 doesn't really offer you any real benefits for gaming. Stick with mainstream either 1155 or 1150 (Z77/Z87).
Dropping to a 3570K or 4670K saves you $150 or so, and won't effect gaming performance at all.
16Gb of ram is overkill for solely gaming. If you have money to burn, its not the most expensive thing in the world, so why not.
PSU isn't a brand I'm overly familiar with, but its made by SuperFlower, who are pretty decent. It seems a little old though, and I can't find reviews of it, it's not one I'd recommend. Additionally, for a single GTX770, a 600W PSU is perfectly sufficient to allow you some headroom.
If you have the money, definitely get an SSD of some description, 128Gb aren't so expensive these days and as you seem to have a generous budget, I'd imagine a 256Gb one is achievable too.
As I mentioned, it's hard to know what kind of graphics power you need, but I can tell you for sure that that is probably not a good card to be buying. In general, the 4Gb cards aren't necessary. You are effectively spending $100 extra on a card that does exactly the same thing.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2013 5:38:00 AM

Rammy said:
To be honest, pretty much everything is kinda overkill. You don't list what your monitor is, or which games you will be playing, so it's a bit hard to say what kind of graphics power you need.

Socket 2011 doesn't really offer you any real benefits for gaming. Stick with mainstream either 1155 or 1150 (Z77/Z87).
Dropping to a 3570K or 4670K saves you $150 or so, and won't effect gaming performance at all.
16Gb of ram is overkill for solely gaming. If you have money to burn, its not the most expensive thing in the world, so why not.
PSU isn't a brand I'm overly familiar with, but its made by SuperFlower, who are pretty decent. It seems a little old though, and I can't find reviews of it, it's not one I'd recommend. Additionally, for a single GTX770, a 600W PSU is perfectly sufficient to allow you some headroom.
If you have the money, definitely get an SSD of some description, 128Gb aren't so expensive these days and as you seem to have a generous budget, I'd imagine a 256Gb one is achievable too.
As I mentioned, it's hard to know what kind of graphics power you need, but I can tell you for sure that that is probably not a good card to be buying. In general, the 4Gb cards aren't necessary. You are effectively spending $100 extra on a card that does exactly the same thing.


a guy posted that he needs 2.1gb vram in bf4.
for skyrim with text mods u might need 3-4 gb.
so with new games it might get necessary.

but yeah its overkill :D 

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
a c 161 B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2013 5:44:25 AM

Patrick Guenter said:

a guy posted that he needs 2.1gb vram in bf4.
for skyrim with text mods u might need 3-4 gb.
so with new games it might get necessary.

but yeah its overkill :D 

Skyrim mods are hardly a normal example though, and the BF4 example is based on a beta, without any info about resolution etc. It's already known that if you want to play it at 2560*1440 you probably want a 3Gb+ card, but then if you want to play it at those kind of resolutions with max details, then you are going to want a better GPU then a GTX770 anyway.
m
0
l
October 30, 2013 9:51:08 AM

I was planning on building mainly for the future. I think when I built my first pc I was overkill with the first generation i7 920 and a 1000w PSU back in 2009. I plan on playing BF4, SC2, CoD Ghosts, WoW, D3, Arkham Origins, and any new games that come out in 1920x1080 at with great graphics settings over the next few years. Been a while since I have been in the knowledge of technology so when i saw i7 i thought already better than i5. I'll put together another build and post it hear, it sounds like i can shave away a couple hundred bucks and get the exact same product, which is great.

Also, do you guys have any thoughts on a CPU heatsink or case (I have an antec 1100). It sounds like I can invest in another case with a slimmer build.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2013 10:14:13 AM

If you want to go for the high-end gaming build with the future in consideration, a better place to spend extra money isn't the X79 platform or an i7 rather than an i5, but rather to get an R290x or the upcoming GTX 780 Ti. A 770 will become a mid-range performance part much quicker than a 4670k will. An SSD is always a good idea, and I would definitely prioritize it over some of your choices in real-world performance.

What is your budget and do you have any significant needs for this rig outside of gaming (heavy-duty stuff like modeling that can necessitate differing build choices)? Knowing more about your parameters gives us better information to work with and a better chance at suggesting build options that get you as much real-world bang for the buck as possible.
m
0
l
October 30, 2013 10:16:50 AM

Alright how about this for a build. It seems the motherboard and optical drive I picked out checks out just fine, but if you have feedback knock yourself out.
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
GPU: EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 770 2GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Ram:CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Motherboard: MSI X79A GD45A Plus http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Power Supply: RAIDMAX RX-735AP 735W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Still looking for an SSD, very new to me since it came out after my first rig. Any suggestions?

m
0
l
October 30, 2013 10:21:52 AM

DSzymborski said:
If you want to go for the high-end gaming build with the future in consideration, a better place to spend extra money isn't the X79 platform or an i7 rather than an i5, but rather to get an R290x or the upcoming GTX 780 Ti. A 770 will become a mid-range performance part much quicker than a 4670k will. An SSD is always a good idea, and I would definitely prioritize it over some of your choices in real-world performance.

What is your budget and do you have any significant needs for this rig outside of gaming (heavy-duty stuff like modeling that can necessitate differing build choices)? Knowing more about your parameters gives us better information to work with and a better chance at suggesting build options that get you as much real-world bang for the buck as possible.

Gaming is the main priority, nothing outside of that. As far as budget, I can go as high as around $2000 but I'd rather keep it around or below $1500.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2013 10:39:53 AM

Assuming you have OS handled, this is what I would personally recommend for the most future-friendly high-end gaming build in the $1500 range. Some of the choices will vary based on personal choice and needs, but this is the type of build you should be looking at.

The GPU choice is simply a placeholder - many of the R290X options haven't quite been released yet, but this is the price neighborhood they'll be at.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($63.24 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($179.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($174.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.95 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290X 4GB Video Card ($569.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($102.60 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($15.00 @ Newegg)
Total: $1590.73
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-30 13:38 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
October 30, 2013 11:10:42 AM

Wow that was a quick response. There are a few things i will do to tweak, mainly liquid cpu cooling since im just not comfortable with it, but everything looks fairly solid. If anyone else has thoughts or ideas again please throw in some input, the more ideas the better.
Also, just for clarification what would be the difference between the 4670k and the 3570 Ivy Bridge I mentioned in my second build?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
a c 161 B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2013 12:06:36 PM

The build above is pretty sensible. Personally I wouldnt go for an R9 290X if you just have a 1080p display, they are overkill and hot and noisey (havent seen any non reference cards yet), and price cuts to the GTX780 mean they arent the value prospect they were until a few days ago.

The 3570k/4670k are near indentical in performance, the 3570k being a bit cheaper and the better overclocker. The 4570k on the other hand is on the newer 1150 socket so you have potential for future upgrades etc.
Neither is a bad answer. Non k series i5s are fine but cant overclock, and near identical so pick the cheapest really if you dont want to overclock.

If you arent overclocking you can just use the intel stock cooler, or a cheaper air cooler like the Hyper212 evo. That will also cover you for some moderate overclocking, though if you want high end performance the Noctua nh-d14 and Phanteks rival are about as good as you can buy. They are very good but pretty expensive and huge (can be tricky to install and puts a lot of weight through your motherboard)
Share
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2013 12:33:37 PM

dlett822 said:
Wow that was a quick response. There are a few things i will do to tweak, mainly liquid cpu cooling since im just not comfortable with it, but everything looks fairly solid. If anyone else has thoughts or ideas again please throw in some input, the more ideas the better.
Also, just for clarification what would be the difference between the 4670k and the 3570 Ivy Bridge I mentioned in my second build?


The 4670k is from the newest Haswells. Both are still usable chips, with the 4670k marginally more powerful, though. I wouldn't recommend *upgrading* from a 3570k to 4670k, but if you're going the new build route, you might as well go with the newer platform.

A closed loop cooler isn't for anyone. I personally prefer air cooling with a custom fan as it can be very quiet in addition to very effective, but for those that haven't installed one of those big heat sinks themselves, they can be a little awkward to install.

Obviously, feel free to make changes! Our recommendations are frameworks, not something you have to take 100%.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2013 12:37:22 PM

Rammy said:
The build above is pretty sensible. Personally I wouldnt go for an R9 290X if you just have a 1080p display, they are overkill and hot and noisey (havent seen any non reference cards yet), and price cuts to the GTX780 mean they arent the value prospect they were until a few days ago.


Yeah, as I noted, these are just hitting the market, so if he does go this route, he'll be best served to see some of the cooling variants that come out from partners.

It's definitely not the best option from a pure $-for-$ value standpoint - I'd probably recommend the 280x or the 770 for that - but given that the poster has expressed a desire to really get something that's as strong as he can afford and it's hard to overlook the 290x's power right now, especially given how inexpensive it is relative to the Titan. It's got enough power that will give him plenty of breathing room if he wants to move to higher resolutions.
m
0
l
October 30, 2013 3:00:55 PM

Well thanks for all of your feedback, definitley needed some help getting some ideas.
m
0
l
!