Solved

RAM for ASUS Maximus V Formula

Hello

I'm new at building PCs
I have a question regarding memory modules for ASUS MVF

On this site
http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/MAXIMUS_V_FORMULA/#support
under: Memory/Device Support
there is a downloadable QVL(Qualified Vendor List) files that contains RAM brands, models, etc.

I'm currently using a G.Skill RipjawsX 2x4gb 1600 CL9, it's model/version can be found inside that file from ASUS

now I plan to buy Kingston HyperX 2x8gb 1600 Black, but I can't find the model of this particular module inside the files from ASUS

will it work? what are QVL(Qualified Vendor List) files for?

I'm thinking that every DDR3 memory module should work on every DDR3 motherboard
but I just want to clarify this hehe

thanks for the time guys
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about ram asus maximus formula
  1. it SHOULD work. it's been years upon years since i last found incompatible ram. the only thing that might happen is you might need to enter the ram timings by hand to get it to work right.
  2. ingtar33 said:
    it SHOULD work. it's been years upon years since i last found incompatible ram. the only thing that might happen is you might need to enter the ram timings by hand to get it to work right.


    i see that's better than I imagined I guess, that can be done on the BIOS setup right? or is there an APP for it?
  3. bonedemon said:
    ingtar33 said:
    it SHOULD work. it's been years upon years since i last found incompatible ram. the only thing that might happen is you might need to enter the ram timings by hand to get it to work right.


    i see that's better than I imagined I guess, that can be done on the BIOS setup right? or is there an APP for it?



    It has to be done in the bios.
  4. ingtar33 said:
    bonedemon said:
    ingtar33 said:
    it SHOULD work. it's been years upon years since i last found incompatible ram. the only thing that might happen is you might need to enter the ram timings by hand to get it to work right.


    i see that's better than I imagined I guess, that can be done on the BIOS setup right? or is there an APP for it?



    It has to be done in the bios.


    I see, thanks a lot ingtar33
    I'll try to search for tutorials on manualy setting RAM timings

    btw, this is the RAM I'm buying next week
    http://dynaquestpc.com/product/kingston-hyperx-black-16gb-8gbx2-ddr3-1600-cl10-khx16c10b1bk216/
  5. CL - 10
    tRCD - 10
    tRP - 10
    tRAS - 30?
    Command Rate - 2N?

    Not sure about those two, they aren't in the data sheet. You might be able to set them lower but those settings should work out of the box.
  6. ingtar33 said:
    CL - 10
    tRCD - 10
    tRP - 10
    tRAS - 30?
    Command Rate - 2N?

    Not sure about those two, they aren't in the data sheet. You might be able to set them lower but those settings should work out of the box.


    wow thanks, I'll just set the last 2 lower if my system gets unstable right?
  7. Best answer
    Basically QVLs are worthless - explained here:

    http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566

    the sticks should work fine with the formula, simply go into BIOS and enable XMP
  8. Tradesman1 said:
    Basically QVLs are worthless - explained here:

    http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566

    the sticks should work fine with the formula, simply go into BIOS and enable XMP


    wow thanks for the link, it was really informative

    what is XMP?
  9. It's a standard created by Intel, eXtreme Memory Profiles - basically info about the set of DRAM for various freqs is loaded into SPD of the DRAM, then when you enable XMP, the BIOS looks to the SPD, pulls out that info and uses it to set the DRAM up for you, the proper freq, timings, voltages, et al)
  10. Tradesman1 said:
    It's a standard created by Intel, eXtreme Memory Profiles - basically info about the set of DRAM for various freqs is loaded into SPD of the DRAM, then when you enable XMP, the BIOS looks to the SPD, pulls out that info and uses it to set the DRAM up for you, the proper freq, timings, voltages, et al)


    I see, that is very usefull

    I used to ignore RAMs, so I just bought an 8gb that is available and cheap
    but with BF4 and COD: Ghost, my friend told me to search for better RAM, and so I started to read on reviews and infos about em and too lazy to find the truth about RAM compatibility in forum digging so I asked here hehe I'm such a lazy-ass

    thanks a lot for the information, I've learned a lot here
  11. Hmmm, doesn't sound quite right but does make you a smart-lazy-A$$ ? Let us know how it goes ;)
  12. haha it appears so

    yep yep will keep you posted :D
  13. C U around
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Formula RAM Memory