Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need some advice. Looking to upgrade a 3 year old system.

Last response: in Components
Share
October 31, 2013 12:27:53 PM

I'm looking to kit out an old PC to get it running smoother. I plan on getting a Gigabyte Radeon 7750, 1TB HDD and extra sticks of RAM. (To get 6GB of RAM, currently have 2..)

My problem is the PSU. I chose the 7750 as it doesn't need external power and is small enough to fit in my case. However, people are saying it needs 400W to run comfortably.

My PC, the Acer AX3400, has a 220W Liteon branded PSU. Now it's easy to say that I could just upgrade the PSU. The problem is most standard ATX size PSU's won't fit in here:



You can see the slim PSU in the bottom right

So my problem is this... firstly do I need a PSU with more wattage.. and secondly if I do, what can I get that will fit in the small case? Thanks!
October 31, 2013 5:42:23 PM

That card definitely doesn't not require a 400W PSU. It won't use a whole lot much more power than your integrated video does. (55W maxed out) But a 220W low-end PSU like that is marginal. Try it and see if it holds. If you get re-boots or shut downs, that will be a sign that the PSU can't maintain the +12V needed for the card (and other devices).

There are larger TFX form factor PSUs available that may give you what you need: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
m
0
l
November 1, 2013 12:23:24 PM

clutchc said:
That card definitely doesn't not require a 400W PSU. It won't use a whole lot much more power than your integrated video does. (55W maxed out) But a 220W low-end PSU like that is marginal. Try it and see if it holds. If you get re-boots or shut downs, that will be a sign that the PSU can't maintain the +12V needed for the card (and other devices).

There are larger TFX form factor PSUs available that may give you what you need: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...


Or would it be better to get a new case and standard supply
m
0
l
Related resources
November 1, 2013 12:32:45 PM

Well... yes. Anew case and PSU would always be better.
m
0
l
November 1, 2013 1:03:40 PM

clutchc said:
Well... yes. Anew case and PSU would always be better.


But then I might as well get a whole new motherboard, as memory for my current one is hard to come by...

m
0
l
November 1, 2013 1:57:02 PM

LOL... yes, that is the age old dilemma. When to quit upgrading the old machine and start over with new stuff. If you are a gamer and play modern high-end games at 1920x1080 or greater resolution, you can make your money go further by building a new PC.

I can't be sure from your picture, but is that the slim-line version of that PC or the regular mid tower? I'm just wondering if you can use a full height card in it, or if you need to go with a low-profile card.
m
0
l
November 1, 2013 4:06:13 PM

clutchc said:
LOL... yes, that is the age old dilemma. When to quit upgrading the old machine and start over with new stuff. If you are a gamer and play modern high-end games at 1920x1080 or greater resolution, you can make your money go further by building a new PC.

I can't be sure from your picture, but is that the slim-line version of that PC or the regular mid tower? I'm just wondering if you can use a full height card in it, or if you need to go with a low-profile card.


Lol. Not my picture but it is the same system. I believe it's the slim version and I'm upgrading it for my brother who wants to be able to work more efficiently and also play games on low.

My thoughts:

New case+PSU
Same motherboard, CPU
Add more RAM
Add a GPU
m
0
l
November 1, 2013 5:36:20 PM

Yes, get it out of that slim-line case so you have more options for a graphics card. Otherwise you are limited to the L-P HD 7750 as the most powerful card available. What processor and MB is in it now?
m
0
l
November 2, 2013 7:15:01 AM

clutchc said:
Yes, get it out of that slim-line case so you have more options for a graphics card. Otherwise you are limited to the L-P HD 7750 as the most powerful card available. What processor and MB is in it now?


MB - Acer (yes) DA061/078L, socket AM3
CPU - AMD Athlon II X3 435

Laugh.
m
0
l
!