FX 8120 core setting question

GeneralJim25

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
alright, so i have in the past fiddled around with the OC and core settings of my FX 8120. my question is with that fact that there isnt 8 real cores in the CPU, what effect would likely be had by disabling four of the cores (and OC'ing it ofcourse). im trying to get more out of the CPU as BF4 just came out, and my CPU gets up their temp wise (59 C, just shy of the 61 C ceiling). my friends i were discussing that it might have a more overall positive effect the negative, as we believe in this state it would use less power (and generate less heat as a result) thus allowing me to OC it higher than i would if all 8 "cores" were enabled. thoughts?

Solution

Running multiple GPUs stresses the CPU a bit more, outside of that it is still game dependent.

koreanoverlord

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
The 8120 is indeed an 8 core, it just shares a few resources between half of the cores.

If you disable the secondary cores (2,4,6,8) i.e. One core per Module, you would see an increase in IPC and gain the ability to OC a bit higher.

I have not played Battlefield 4, but I imagine even without Mantle it should support all 8 cores... so disabling half of them may degrade your performance.

In applications that 8 cores are not supported, you will see an increase in performance.

GeneralJim25

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
i will be willing to sacrifice a tad bit of performance for one game so the rest of the games run faster, atleast till i can the 8350 (not going intel unless my cpu and mobo both fry at the same time). i cant imagine it would be much worse tho for BF4 seeing as ive been running it at 3.1 ghz and have been getting about 70-80 fps

koreanoverlord

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013

Running multiple GPUs stresses the CPU a bit more, outside of that it is still game dependent.

Solution

GeneralJim25

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

well ive disabled the other four cores, and have OC'D the FX 8120 to 4.3. im just going to wing it and test it like this on both Batman Arkham Origins, BF3, BF4, and Crysis 3 and see whether i get worse or better performance