Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Problem overclocking GTX 780 ACX - PLEASE HELP!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 31, 2013 11:23:34 PM

So using the free 3DMark on steam I benchtested my EVGA GTX 780 w/ ACX shown here:
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/1519918

I then overclocked the cards core clock from 863MHz to 1050MHz and overclocked the memory clock from 1502MHz to 1750MHz. The results are shown here:
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/1526057

I got barely any performance change, but yet somehow got significantly more heat? What happened? I'm using EVGA's Precision X for overclocking, but it's my first time. I think I messed up somewhere. PLEASE HELP.

I was expecting to be able to really get some extra power out of my GTX 780, but I got like 1% performance? Hopefully I just did something little wrong and hopefully I didn't ruin my card doing it.
November 1, 2013 12:03:09 AM

why would you overclock a beast card??
m
0
l
November 1, 2013 1:29:13 AM

potpolima said:
why would you overclock a beast card??


Because I've read on several sites that a OC'ed 780 beats a stock Titan. $500 Titan? Who wouldn't want that? But yea, if someone could throw me some tips on what's wrong with my setup, I'd be super appreciative.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 156 K Overclocking
November 1, 2013 9:09:28 AM

Palidion said:
potpolima said:
why would you overclock a beast card??


Because I've read on several sites that a OC'ed 780 beats a stock Titan. $500 Titan? Who wouldn't want that? But yea, if someone could throw me some tips on what's wrong with my setup, I'd be super appreciative.


Looks like you jumped in with both feet!

Try cutting your core and memory by 50 and test again.

Did you adjust the power slider? How about the voltage?

Yogi

m
0
l
November 1, 2013 3:13:11 PM

Y0GI said:
Palidion said:
potpolima said:
why would you overclock a beast card??


Because I've read on several sites that a OC'ed 780 beats a stock Titan. $500 Titan? Who wouldn't want that? But yea, if someone could throw me some tips on what's wrong with my setup, I'd be super appreciative.


Looks like you jumped in with both feet!

Try cutting your core and memory by 50 and test again.

Did you adjust the power slider? How about the voltage?

Yogi


I set the power slider on EVGA's Precision X to 106% (1.65v I think). I don't really want to try overvoltage O.o Do you think I simply went for too much too fast and my GPU throttled? Will running at 1.65v take off a lot of my 780's lifespan if I keep it there?
m
0
l
November 1, 2013 3:52:51 PM

You're new to overclocking aren't you?
You're supposed to do things gradually, and not just turn everything up to 11 straight away....

To find the sweetspot run the tests at several different clocks and see where you get the best performance out of it. Highest clocks aren't necessarily the best performing ones....
m
0
l
a c 156 K Overclocking
November 1, 2013 4:06:36 PM

Palidion said:
Y0GI said:
Palidion said:
potpolima said:
why would you overclock a beast card??


Because I've read on several sites that a OC'ed 780 beats a stock Titan. $500 Titan? Who wouldn't want that? But yea, if someone could throw me some tips on what's wrong with my setup, I'd be super appreciative.


Looks like you jumped in with both feet!

Try cutting your core and memory by 50 and test again.

Did you adjust the power slider? How about the voltage?

Yogi


I set the power slider on EVGA's Precision X to 106% (1.65v I think). I don't really want to try overvoltage O.o Do you think I simply went for too much too fast and my GPU throttled? Will running at 1.65v take off a lot of my 780's lifespan if I keep it there?


Yes, I think that you went too far too soon.

Don't mix up the 2 terms "Power" and "Voltage". You can increase the power limit. This just increases the maximum power that the card is allowed to use during periods of high demand.

I doubt that you actually set your Voltage to 1.650 v. I don't think that it even goes that high.

Try cutting your clocks and increasing power and see how it does.

Yogi

m
0
l
November 1, 2013 4:57:51 PM

Y0GI said:
Palidion said:
Y0GI said:
Palidion said:
potpolima said:
why would you overclock a beast card??


Because I've read on several sites that a OC'ed 780 beats a stock Titan. $500 Titan? Who wouldn't want that? But yea, if someone could throw me some tips on what's wrong with my setup, I'd be super appreciative.


Looks like you jumped in with both feet!

Try cutting your core and memory by 50 and test again.

Did you adjust the power slider? How about the voltage?

Yogi


I set the power slider on EVGA's Precision X to 106% (1.65v I think). I don't really want to try overvoltage O.o Do you think I simply went for too much too fast and my GPU throttled? Will running at 1.65v take off a lot of my 780's lifespan if I keep it there?


Yes, I think that you went too far too soon.

Don't mix up the 2 terms "Power" and "Voltage". You can increase the power limit. This just increases the maximum power that the card is allowed to use during periods of high demand.

I doubt that you actually set your Voltage to 1.650 v. I don't think that it even goes that high.

Try cutting your clocks and increasing power and see how it does.

Yogi


I don't get it. 3DMark is showing no real change in performance, and it seems when I push it the performance gets worse. I started using Unigine Heaven 4.0 to benchmark my 780 and NOW I'm seeing performance increases that make sense. I think 3Dmark is just crap.

On Unigine I was basically getting a 1:1 FPS increase with overclocking % increase, and I went from 87FPS and 2212 score to 100FPS and 2539 score going from 863 core clock to 1050 core clock (what I was aiming for before) and going from 1502MHz memory clock to 1626MHz (it's an offset of 248MHz, I don't get why I only see half half of that number on GPU-Z).

Basically increasing the core clock by 17% and the memory clock by 8% gave me a nice 13 extra FPS average. That makes sense to me.

Three questions I now have are:
Is 3Dmark a crappy benchtester or something? I downloaded the free demo off of steam and it doesn't reflect performance change at all.

Why does offsetting my memory clock on Precision X by 248MHz only change the real memory clock (on GPU-Z) by 124MHz?

Lastly, is the overclock I just settled with (187MHz core offset, 248/124MHz memory offset) a moderate, average, or high overclock for my GTX 780?
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 156 K Overclocking
November 2, 2013 7:32:37 AM

Palidion said:
Y0GI said:
Palidion said:
Y0GI said:
Palidion said:
potpolima said:
why would you overclock a beast card??


Because I've read on several sites that a OC'ed 780 beats a stock Titan. $500 Titan? Who wouldn't want that? But yea, if someone could throw me some tips on what's wrong with my setup, I'd be super appreciative.


Looks like you jumped in with both feet!

Try cutting your core and memory by 50 and test again.

Did you adjust the power slider? How about the voltage?

Yogi


I set the power slider on EVGA's Precision X to 106% (1.65v I think). I don't really want to try overvoltage O.o Do you think I simply went for too much too fast and my GPU throttled? Will running at 1.65v take off a lot of my 780's lifespan if I keep it there?


Yes, I think that you went too far too soon.

Don't mix up the 2 terms "Power" and "Voltage". You can increase the power limit. This just increases the maximum power that the card is allowed to use during periods of high demand.

I doubt that you actually set your Voltage to 1.650 v. I don't think that it even goes that high.

Try cutting your clocks and increasing power and see how it does.

Yogi


I don't get it. 3DMark is showing no real change in performance, and it seems when I push it the performance gets worse. I started using Unigine Heaven 4.0 to benchmark my 780 and NOW I'm seeing performance increases that make sense. I think 3Dmark is just crap.

On Unigine I was basically getting a 1:1 FPS increase with overclocking % increase, and I went from 87FPS and 2212 score to 100FPS and 2539 score going from 863 core clock to 1050 core clock (what I was aiming for before) and going from 1502MHz memory clock to 1626MHz (it's an offset of 248MHz, I don't get why I only see half half of that number on GPU-Z).

Basically increasing the core clock by 17% and the memory clock by 8% gave me a nice 13 extra FPS average. That makes sense to me.

Three questions I now have are:
Is 3Dmark a crappy benchtester or something? I downloaded the free demo off of steam and it doesn't reflect performance change at all.

Why does offsetting my memory clock on Precision X by 248MHz only change the real memory clock (on GPU-Z) by 124MHz?

Lastly, is the overclock I just settled with (187MHz core offset, 248/124MHz memory offset) a moderate, average, or high overclock for my GTX 780?


I don't know about the problem with 3DMark so I can't comment there. Maybe someone else will chime in here.

Your memory is GDDR (Double Data Rate) so GPU-Z is only showing the speed of the memory bus. The actual memory bandwidth is 2X that.

That review that I linked to got a +115 Core clock and +275 Memory clock, so I would say that your OC is pretty good.

Yogi

Share
!