Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

CPU heat reaching 90°C, randomly shutting down. Please help (pics)

Last response: in CPUs
Share
November 1, 2013 5:17:13 PM

I'm not sure what is causing this, I have never overclocked the CPU, but I do remember trying to do it and then giving up because it was a bad idea without the proper cooler. I might have moved some settings in the moba's settings (i don't remember).

I'm worried that my computer will collapse at any time now, I've been getting some screens telling me that it had to shut down because of the CPU's temperature. Another thing I think I should add is that i rarely turn off the computer and mainly use it for games (not really demanding) and Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.

I read somewhere that the thermal paste might be the problem, here are some pics of how the CPU looks. I really hope it's an easy fix as I don't have money at the time and I need to keep using the computer.

The paste was completely melted.

P.S. I need to use the computer right now as i need to finish a homework. Will putting a fan next to it work as a quick solution?




a b à CPUs
November 1, 2013 5:27:05 PM

It would be an easy fix to get the thermal paste off of the fan and the CPU, then reapply some new stuff, it looks like you used a tad bit too much. It also may be to your benefit to underclock the CPU a little bit especially if you're doing just basic things.

Another problem might be that you dont have great airflow in your case.
m
0
l
November 1, 2013 5:35:20 PM

Kingbob said:
It would be an easy fix to get the thermal paste off of the fan and the CPU, then reapply some new stuff, it looks like you used a tad bit too much. It also may be to your benefit to underclock the CPU a little bit especially if you're doing just basic things.

Another problem might be that you dont have great airflow in your case.


Thanks for the response, if it's the thermal paste I could go tomorrow to buy some, any recommendations? I'm new to this stuff.(I didn't put this computer together)

I'm worried that it will collapse after today, is using a fan for today with the case open a good idea? I need to use it to finish a work.

I also remember that in the moba's settings I changed performance to turbo but recently changed it to its default but I don't see any improvement.
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
November 1, 2013 5:40:03 PM

Yeah, you will need to remove it and apply new paste.
Here is some great thermal paste
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If I were you, id get a new CPU cooler (if it would fit in your case) this would be a good choice:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also, you might also want to underclock it as a temporary measure.
Share
November 1, 2013 5:42:15 PM

jimthenagual said:
Thermal paste 'cures' after it has been applied and heated. It forms a seal. Once you break that seal, you need to completely remove the old dried up thermal paste, and reapply some new. Here is a write up on what you'll need to do:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/howto_install_c...


Thanks for replying.

When I broke the seal it was melted and not dried at all. It's a bit late for me to get the paste today and I really need to use the computer for a couple hours to finish some work. Will I be ok for today? I will read the guide and fix it tomorrow, thanks.

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 1, 2013 5:45:27 PM

RufioStill said:
jimthenagual said:
Thermal paste 'cures' after it has been applied and heated. It forms a seal. Once you break that seal, you need to completely remove the old dried up thermal paste, and reapply some new. Here is a write up on what you'll need to do:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/howto_install_c...


Thanks for replying.

When I broke the seal it was melted and not dried at all. It's a bit late for me to get the paste today and I really need to use the computer for a couple hours to finish some work. Will I be ok for today? I will read the guide and fix it tomorrow, thanks.



I would caution against not doing it. But if you are very careful you should be fine (worst case scenario, you get more errors). Like I said before, underclocking a bit would help.
m
0
l
November 1, 2013 5:53:29 PM

Kingbob said:
RufioStill said:
jimthenagual said:
Thermal paste 'cures' after it has been applied and heated. It forms a seal. Once you break that seal, you need to completely remove the old dried up thermal paste, and reapply some new. Here is a write up on what you'll need to do:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/howto_install_c...


Thanks for replying.

When I broke the seal it was melted and not dried at all. It's a bit late for me to get the paste today and I really need to use the computer for a couple hours to finish some work. Will I be ok for today? I will read the guide and fix it tomorrow, thanks.



I would caution against not doing it. But if you are very careful you should be fine (worst case scenario, you get more errors). Like I said before, underclocking a bit would help.


I'm actually waiting for a couple games to come out this year, maybe I can underclock it for today only? How easy is it? Thanks again.
m
0
l
a c 76 à CPUs
November 1, 2013 5:54:07 PM

RufioStill said:
jimthenagual said:
Thermal paste 'cures' after it has been applied and heated. It forms a seal. Once you break that seal, you need to completely remove the old dried up thermal paste, and reapply some new. Here is a write up on what you'll need to do:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/howto_install_c...


Thanks for replying.

When I broke the seal it was melted and not dried at all. It's a bit late for me to get the paste today and I really need to use the computer for a couple hours to finish some work. Will I be ok for today? I will read the guide and fix it tomorrow, thanks.



I'd second what Kingbob is saying. I recommend against using the computer, but if you MUST, then put the heatsink back on, and have that house fan blowing on it as well.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 1, 2013 5:57:46 PM

You can just turn down the CPU multiplier, and the voltage a bit and it will be safer. To do this go into the BIOS and look for the cpu multiplier and if you dont turn down the voltage I guess its ok because it wont hurt anything anyways.
m
0
l
November 1, 2013 6:30:15 PM

Kingbob said:
You can just turn down the CPU multiplier, and the voltage a bit and it will be safer. To do this go into the BIOS and look for the cpu multiplier and if you dont turn down the voltage I guess its ok because it wont hurt anything anyways.


I didn't find a CPU multiplier option. Perhaps it is under a different name?
P.S. What thermal paste would you advice me to buy? I'm going to Fry's
m
0
l
!