i7 965 Extreme Edition Overclock Help

Steven Clowry

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
Hey, I'm completely new to overclocking but I know a lot about computers, I can't seem to find anything properly about overclock settings from the BIOS?

Could someone please tell me the settings for overclocking? It would help a lot.

My rig is;

Asus P6T SE Mobo
i7 965 Extreme Edition

Prety sure that is all you need?

Thanks a lot for looking :)

Jake Wenta

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
You will NEVER get numbers to enter in the BIOS. It does not work that way. A 3770k will hit 5.2 ghz, and another 3770k will hit 4.8ghz. Different hardware and chips overclock differently. Just because it's the same model, does not mean they are the same. With that said, overclocking is taken in baby steps. You can't just throw in numbers and expect it to work, even if it worked for another person.
There are plenty of guides, do's and don'ts on this site and other where searching and reading stickies will be sufficient enough to inform you with all you need. There are also plenty of youtube tutorials.

try this to begin with..

http://lifehacker.com/5580998/a-beginners-guide-to-overclocking-your-intel-processor

with out specs of your system im sure alot of people would be hesitate to make calls that may or may not help you like I got a chevy my engine wont run that all the info you need your going to get a standard answer what kind made when whats in it ect ect. I dont like to make wild turkey calls on very little info.

Jake Wenta

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

Seriously? He said i7 965 and Asus Motherboard...in the title and post. As for programs, OpenHardwareMonitor is a good one. For system information, all he needs to do is open msinfo32 or device manager.

seriously have you helped him oc yet? did you give him any insight or details ? you got a nice little oc on your rig.
My point is i have this now solve it you got to want to learn how to instead of just getting a answer I am all ready to help but I asked for more details and since then I have heard from you so seriously. yes

And besides im not sure the op knows what about what your talking about .

Seriously? He said i7 965 and Asus Motherboard...in the title and post. As for programs, OpenHardwareMonitor is a good one. For system information, all he needs to do is open msinfo32 or device manager.

maybe why I pointed into the direction of speccy to get some detail specs. also theres tons of other files out there to find them as well.

Jake Wenta

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

What? You have poor punctuation, so understanding your statements is difficult.
But he provided information of which you asked for, so...yea. You do not need to know what RAM he has if he is overclocking his CPU regardless.
And on stock cooling, since he didn't mention his cooler, he won't get to much as stock coolers tend to provide just enough cooling for stock settings and a little headroom.

Jake Wenta

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

You don't need to download MSinfo32 or Device Manager as they're in windows. Calm down. And don't underestimate the knowledge of one. If he doesn't know how, a simple google search or question would teach him. But a word to the wise is sufficient.

As you said granted he needs to start small.. say the FSB and move the muti up slow untill he reaches a reboot then back it off then he may want to tweak his timing on the memory maybe up a bit at a time till he reboots keeping track of his settings and back it off a bit maybe play around with his v core theres a sweet spot in there dont go to far and ease off. yes my grammer sucks but I have only been college educated... lol if I was writting this in slang like so many younger ones you never understand me forgive the fact that I had cancer when I was 15 and didnt finish highschool but went on to get a 2 yr degree in college but my grammer does suck and this I do know. Thanks

Jake Wenta

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

The BCLK isn't really someplays for a beginner as it affects the Northbridge, RAM, CPU...etc. Calling for VCCIO, NB, CPU and DRAM timing/voltage alterations. He'd probably just want to add to the multipliers for higher CPU frequency and call it a day for starters. And learn as he goes. He'll need to Change his LLC of course if his Motherboard has that, but probably not. And watch his temperatures.

No need to get personal, you make it sound like I'm 30+, I'm only 21.