So I got about 1200-1500$ to play with and I don't want to waste it. I was thinking of getting a new setup. This is strictly for gaming. Typical World Of Warcraft, Battlefield, Skyrim, Assassin's Creed IV and Call of Duty like games.
A) is it a waste to go from a 670 GTX 4 GB to a 780 GTX?
B) is it a waste to go from a i5 3570 to the 4th gen i5 4670?
I can't think of anything else. I have a 120 GB Vertex 4 SSD for the OS. I have a 3TB secondary drive at sata 6/GB for my games. I have 8 GB of G. Skill Ripjaw X ram @ 1333HZ. The other option I was thinking was getting a 790 GTX Titan for about 1000$, also wondering if the new 1150 socket motherboards support the same graphics card? or will everything be different. I am just trying to future proof a little bit for when DDR4 comes out as well.
As an upgrade:
A - yes - you will gain some FPS, but you won't feel them much. So as long you don't want those few free games and $100 off shield, you shouldn't consider that...
B - yes - those few % of performance aren't worth it...
If you are building a new rig:
then you should consider the 4th gen i5 and gtx770/780/780ti... But as an upgrade - nope, I can not recommend it
But if you really want to spend some money - get a decent gaming sound card - something like sound blaster Z. That will grant your games some more depth
To go from the 3570k to the 4670k is a waste but crossfire r9 290x would be worth it 2 of them would be a little over a thousand but would be quite a bit better than the titan. All 1150 motherboards support the same graphics cards as 1155. You could save the rest of your money for broadwell and ddr4 coming next year.
There will be about 0% to 5% of processing power difference between I5 3570k and the 4th gen i5. There's a rule that most enthusiast follow according to GPU's upgrade. If your next upgrade is 3 tiers over your actual GPU its ideal. If not, there wont be enough performance upgrade to consider the expense to be worthwhile. A good upgrade would be adding a second GTX 670 4GB to your build. It will be about the performance of an GTX 780, if not greater. And also you have the 4GB memory edition of that GPU which means thats plenty for foture games if you SLI them.
Getting a GTX 780 wouldnt be as good as you add second GTX 670 4GB. And also you wont spend that much.
A good idea, well for me, is to watercool your whole set up if you have that budget. That would give you a huge overclocking headroom with your processor and also your GPUS wont have any heat issues while working on SLI.
It would be a waste to upgrade from the 3570 to a 4670. Only way it might be worth it is if you decided to get a 3570k, or new motherboard/Cpu and get the 4670k which would allow you to overclock. I'd buy some new Ram myself. DDR3 1866mhz isn't that expensive over 1600mhz. That's about the only weak link(and not by very much really) that I see in your current set-up.
The 780 is a good price now, so I could see you upgrading to that as well honestly. It would make more sense than changing out the Cpu or Cpu/motherboard.
thanks for all the feedback guys, I'll be back in a few minutes after looking over some suggestions. The reason for the upgrade was that my father wants a gaming computer and rather than make him get a new setup for top dollar. I would sell him my system much cheaper and with that I'd upgrade. He's in no rush though but is excited to get into it. I am not sure what broadwell is and not sure if the 1150 socket motherboards can use the new DDR4 coming out. Watercooling is a good idea as well. I never got into OC before. And on the spec sheet it really does look as though the 780 is a big jump over my 670 4GB but I've been told in the past just because the specs show 40% more this, 50% more of that, doesn't mean you'll get an overall performance jump of 50%
I'm actually wondering about the motherboard. Great price, and it appears to use some really good parts with great features. Themed out as Red also, lol.
yeah I thought for sure I'd have to spend 140$ to get the z87 equivalent to my P8Z77 V-LK motherboard. I'll check those over and figure out what to do. As I hope that new motherboard will support Broadwell and DDR4 ram so I don't have to upgrade again in 5 months lol. Thanks for the input everyone. This is great help
PS: on a P8Z77 VL-K with 3 X16 PCI, would I get full power running 2 way SLI? or would it only be like a 20% increase or something?