Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Possible to use a new CPU on an old hard drive without reinstalling?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
November 2, 2013 6:45:33 PM

Okay, so my Hard Drive that came with the i3 computer broke. But I have another older hard drive that has the Pentium Dual Core drivers on it. I don't have a Windows 7 DVD nor do I have the $100 to buy it right now. So is there a way to use my Pentium Dual Core Hard Drive with my i3 mobo without doing a complete reinstall?

If I must reinstall, is there a way this can be done without the disc?
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2013 6:51:58 PM

Pentium Dual core as in LGA775?

If you're willing to call up MS, they sometimes will give you a new code to use, since switching motherboards is considered "a new computer" and requires reinstall
m
0
l
a c 175 à CPUs
November 2, 2013 7:11:13 PM

Assuming you have a legal product key, you can download the official Win7 ISO here:
http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-...

Burn to DVD, install, and activate with your existing key. It might require a call to the MS phone robot to activate, but it should work.
m
0
l
Related resources
November 2, 2013 8:04:05 PM

So basically if it's an OEM installation though, I have to buy a Windows 7 disc and do an old install on the old drive?

Or perhaps I could clone the new drive to the old one...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2013 8:13:33 PM

you can download the official iso, you're allowed to since you bought a copy :) 

you do a new install on the old drive
m
0
l
a c 175 à CPUs
November 2, 2013 8:22:38 PM

mike2012 said:
So basically if it's an OEM installation though, I have to buy a Windows 7 disc and do an old install on the old drive?

Or perhaps I could clone the new drive to the old one...


If it is an OEM install, the product key is printed on it somewhere. You can use that.
m
0
l
November 3, 2013 11:49:17 AM

USAFRet said:
mike2012 said:
So basically if it's an OEM installation though, I have to buy a Windows 7 disc and do an old install on the old drive?

Or perhaps I could clone the new drive to the old one...


If it is an OEM install, the product key is printed on it somewhere. You can use that.

Okay, I found the product key, but I still need the cd to reinstall right?
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 175 à CPUs
November 3, 2013 12:11:56 PM

mike2012 said:
USAFRet said:
mike2012 said:
So basically if it's an OEM installation though, I have to buy a Windows 7 disc and do an old install on the old drive?

Or perhaps I could clone the new drive to the old one...


If it is an OEM install, the product key is printed on it somewhere. You can use that.

Okay, I found the product key, but I still need the cd to reinstall right?


Make your own DVD from an official ISO here:
http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-...

Whatever version you have, Home Premium, Pro, whatever....download and burn it to a DVD.
Install from that, and activate with your existing key.
Share
!