Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Power Options in Windows 8.1 has been ruined

Tags:
  • Windows 8
  • Power
  • Toshiba
Last response: in Windows 8
Share
November 2, 2013 8:15:21 PM

Can you help me? When I try to open Power Options in Windows 8.1 and I see uncountable number of deleteable "Power Saver" and "Balanced (Recommended)" is disappeared from Power Options and "Your power plan information isn't available" appears when I want to create a Power Plan. I need to wait a very long time when I open Power Options in every time. Here are the screenshot:



My PC:
TOSHIBA Satellite L840
Intel Core i5 3210M
8GB DDR3 RAM
640GB of hard disk
AMD Radeon HD 7670M
Windows 8.1 Single Language

This was happened when I attempt to uninstall TOSHIBA PC Health Monitor and install the newer version and upgrade the version of TOSHIBA eco Utility.
When I try to delete those deleteable "Power Saver", it's no use!
When I try to delete keys in Registry Editor in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Power\User\PowerSchemes\ and they even failed to delete!
Who can help me to fix this!

More about : power options windows ruined

Best solution

a b * Windows 8
November 2, 2013 8:45:16 PM

Wow. The easiest way to remove these is via PowerShell. Open PowerShell by typing it into the Start Screen, right click the shortcut and select Run As Administrator. When you have the administrative PowerShell window open, type "powercfg -list" into the window. You'll get a listing of every power profile on the system.

For example, mine shows up as:

Power Scheme GUID: 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e (Balanced) *
Power Scheme GUID: 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c (High performance)
Power Scheme GUID: a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a (Power saver)

To remove a profile, type "powercfg -delete (GUID)", where (GUID) is the long string of characters shown above. So if I wanted to remove the High Performance profile, I would type "powercfg -delete 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c". All of these commands are without quotes. To copy a GUID for a profile, click and drag your mouse over the text like you would anywhere else, and then release and right click to copy the selected text to the clipboard. Then type the "powercfg -delete" command again, and right click again to paste.

!!IMPORTANT!!

Make sure you leave at LEAST ONE of each type of profile. There must be at least one Balanced, one High Performance, and one Power Saver profile present, or various things within Windows will break, and you (and potentially us as well) are going to have one hell of a time figuring them out afterward.
Share
November 2, 2013 8:58:40 PM

The_Prophecy said:
Wow. The easiest way to remove these is via PowerShell. Open PowerShell by typing it into the Start Screen, right click the shortcut and select Run As Administrator. When you have the administrative PowerShell window open, type "powercfg -list" into the window. You'll get a listing of every power profile on the system.

For example, mine shows up as:

Power Scheme GUID: 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e (Balanced) *
Power Scheme GUID: 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c (High performance)
Power Scheme GUID: a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a (Power saver)

To remove a profile, type "powercfg -delete (GUID)", where (GUID) is the long string of characters shown above. So if I wanted to remove the High Performance profile, I would type "powercfg -delete 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c". All of these commands are without quotes. To copy a GUID for a profile, click and drag your mouse over the text like you would anywhere else, and then release and right click to copy the selected text to the clipboard. Then type the "powercfg -delete" command again, and right click again to paste.

!!IMPORTANT!!

Make sure you leave at LEAST ONE of each type of profile. There must be at least one Balanced, one High Performance, and one Power Saver profile present, or various things within Windows will break, and you (and potentially us as well) are going to have one hell of a time figuring them out afterward.


I have find out that Balanced (recommended) is unlabelled.
Power Scheme GUID: 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e

This also make Balanced disappeared from Power Options.
In addition, number of "Power saver" increases by 120 when I start the computer!

UPDATE: Yes, I discovered something, this was cause by TOSHIBA eco Utility.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b * Windows 8
November 2, 2013 11:12:33 PM

Interesting... Does removing the eco utility remove all of the extra profiles? Or do they still need to be removed manually?
m
0
l
November 2, 2013 11:41:19 PM

The_Prophecy said:
Interesting... Does removing the eco utility remove all of the extra profiles? Or do they still need to be removed manually?


Hmmm... I don't know. It will automatically create 120 Power Savers when I start the computer when TOSHIBA eco Utility is installed. I don't remember that version of TOSHIBA eco Utility.
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
November 2, 2013 11:44:11 PM

Check in the Programs and Features window under Control Panel and uninstall the Eco utility. You don't need to remember the version...
m
0
l
November 3, 2013 4:32:36 AM

The_Prophecy said:
Check in the Programs and Features window under Control Panel and uninstall the Eco utility. You don't need to remember the version...


I have uninstalled TOSHIBA eco Utility.
I have founded that "Balanced (Recommended)" disappeared from Power Options and "Your power plan information isn't available" appears when I'm creating a power plan. I have checked the registry editor:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Power\User\PowerSchemes\381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e

The data has suddenly disappeared, what to do?
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
November 3, 2013 11:04:09 AM

You can import the Balanced profile. I've exported a copy and uploaded to DropBox. Link is below:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96013768/Balanced.z...

Extract the .pow file to where ever you want (I will use a folder called Downloads in the example below) and run the import command from an administrative PowerShell:

powercfg /import C:\Downloads\Balanced.pow
m
0
l
December 16, 2013 3:01:31 PM

I had the same problem in Windows 8.1, had over 2000 duplicate power saver plans. Try resetting the power management options. Run the command prompt as administrator, run the command powercfg -restoredefaultschemes and reboot. Everything was back to normal after a reboot. Hope someone can use this for future reference.
m
0
l
December 18, 2013 4:37:42 AM

mikeisking53 said:
I had the same problem in Windows 8.1, had over 2000 duplicate power saver plans. Try resetting the power management options. Run the command prompt as administrator, run the command powercfg -restoredefaultschemes and reboot. Everything was back to normal after a reboot. Hope someone can use this for future reference.


Which one did yours happen? My one is caused by the latest version of TOSHIBA eco Utility.
m
0
l
!