Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Which CPU for Battlefield 4 multiplayer?

Tags:
  • Battlefield
  • Multiplayer
  • Benchmark
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
Share
November 2, 2013 8:31:32 PM

Hello All,
I want to build a gaming pc mainly for battlefield 4 multiplayer and picking parts. It seems from research a lot of people have been saying battlefield 4 uses hyper threading or benefits from 8 cores such as an 8350. However this benchmark seems to prove an i3 runs the same as an i7 or fx-8350. See below,

http://www.techspot.com/review/734-battlefield-4-benchm...

This benchmark is only for single player. My question is will multiplayer be the same? Thanks in advance.

If this hold true I'm thinking of getting the cheapest i5 and pairing it with the r9 280x with 8gb ram. How's that sound?

More about : cpu battlefield multiplayer

a b à CPUs
November 2, 2013 8:42:04 PM

That is single player

The multiplayer 64man servers require at least an FX6300 (i3s will die)
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2013 8:44:52 PM

I've heard that the multiplayer will be different (more CPU demanding) so try to pick up a quad core at least.
Depending on your budget and the rest of your system, you should go:

(From cheapest to more expensive)
AMD FX4300 --> AMD FX6300 --> AMD FX8350 or Intel Core i5-3350/3470/4440/4670
m
0
l
Related resources
November 2, 2013 8:45:18 PM

Just grab an i5-3570K, because then if you also have the freedom to overclock. Battlefield 4 isn't too CPU hungry so you will be just fine (I'm using a 3470 and everything works great).
m
0
l
November 2, 2013 8:49:25 PM

Mopkap said:
Just grab an i5-3570K, because then if you also have the freedom to overclock. Battlefield 4 isn't too CPU hungry so you will be just fine (I'm using a 3470 and everything works great).


Yeah it seems they found overclocking adds such a minor bump in performance that it's not worth the extra for a z87, CPU cooler, and the risk of damaging/shortening the life of your CPU.

How much ram are using for multilayer. Not sure if 8gb is enough? Also what gpu you got paired with it? What frames you getting in 64 player multi?
m
0
l
November 2, 2013 8:52:07 PM

I am said:
Mopkap said:
Just grab an i5-3570K, because then if you also have the freedom to overclock. Battlefield 4 isn't too CPU hungry so you will be just fine (I'm using a 3470 and everything works great).


Yeah it seems they found overclocking adds such a minor bump in performance that it's not worth the extra for a z87, CPU cooler, and the risk of damaging/shortening the life of your CPU.

How much ram are using for multilayer. Not sure if 8gb is enough? Also what gpu you got paired with it? What frames you getting in 64 player multi?


You don't need amazing cooling to overclock, there is a big performance boost, and there is about a 10% risk if you know what you're doing. Clearly you don't know much about overclocking... -_-
Also, 8GB is plenty.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2013 8:52:42 PM

^OP did not mention anything about watercooling...

8GB should be the minimum (though my bro ran bf4 beta with 4GB of ram)[720p low]

I got 50fps+ avg with 3570k @4.2 + 7850 @1ghz at 1080p high


OC is good when you are CPU bottle necked, otherwise, no real point
m
0
l
November 2, 2013 8:54:40 PM

Can anyone find battlefield 4 multiplayer benchmarks for CPU and/or GPU? I know it will be more demanding then single player but that's all people benchmark, which makes sense since it's easier to get a similar test result.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
November 2, 2013 9:00:27 PM

People tend not to test multiplayer since there is a lot of variation

The beta though, not fully representative was tested on multiplayer (since beta was multi only)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-4-graph...

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/10/10/battlefield_4...

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/5775/battlefield-4-be...
Share
November 2, 2013 9:02:44 PM

Mopkap said:
I am said:
Mopkap said:
Just grab an i5-3570K, because then if you also have the freedom to overclock. Battlefield 4 isn't too CPU hungry so you will be just fine (I'm using a 3470 and everything works great).


Yeah it seems they found overclocking adds such a minor bump in performance that it's not worth the extra for a z87, CPU cooler, and the risk of damaging/shortening the life of your CPU.

How much ram are using for multilayer. Not sure if 8gb is enough? Also what gpu you got paired with it? What frames you getting in 64 player multi?


You don't need water cooling to overclock, there is a big performance boost, and there is about a 10% risk if you know what you're doing. Clearly you don't know much about overclocking... -_-
Also, 8GB is plenty.


It's true I'm a noob and don't much, but explain the benchmarks that prove overclocking helps... Also they show i3 is the same as an fx-8350. Blows my mind too that an i3 and r9 290x can be a beast?!

Please find me benchmarks for battlefield 4 that prove otherwise...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2013 9:05:56 PM

That is not full stress, even my OC 3570k hits about 75% load on bf4, meaning an i3 will die

Toms did not use a full server (mostly empty one iirc)

Also I edited hte links to fix them :p 
m
0
l
November 2, 2013 9:17:38 PM

stickmansam said:
That is not full stress, even my OC 3570k hits about 75% load on bf4, meaning an i3 will die

Toms did not use a full server (mostly empty one iirc)

Also I edited hte links to fix them :p 


Again do you have benchmarks to prove it. I've seen people rave about the 3570k in battlefield 3 multiplayer and some guy made a video comparing an oc 3570k to an i3 and the fps with an hd7970 was the same. So again I wish people would test this stuff! Thanks for the input.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2013 9:26:46 PM

I am said:
stickmansam said:
That is not full stress, even my OC 3570k hits about 75% load on bf4, meaning an i3 will die

Toms did not use a full server (mostly empty one iirc)

Also I edited hte links to fix them :p 


Again do you have benchmarks to prove it. I've seen people rave about the 3570k in battlefield 3 multiplayer and some guy made a video comparing an oc 3570k to an i3 and the fps with an hd7970 was the same. So again I wish people would test this stuff! Thanks for the input.


Yeah I'm having difficulty finding an benchmark for multi player but here is an bf3 one (i expect bf4 to be even more demanding)

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Battlefield-3-PC-221396/S...

Here is an AMD quad vs dual, much more dramatic, again bf3
http://www.sweclockers.com/artikel/14650-prestandaanaly...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2013 11:24:52 PM

I had to upgrade my I3 for BF4, I will honestly say that you want either a entry level i5 or FX6XXX to get a enjoyable experience at higher levels of visual fidelity.
m
0
l
!