7970 and 550ti in the same pc?

ProComputerGaming

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
I am getting into game development, but made a stupid move and purchased a 7970 a couple months prior thinking "hey, its a faster card than my current 550ti, it will do better." I was horribly wrong, I didnt know about cuda cores and whatnot. Is it possible to have my 7970 and 550ti in the same pc, but only use the 550ti for cuda rendering? Its a longshot, but I cant afford a 780/titan at the moment. I want to do this solely for blender and 3ds max. 3ds max later on. My CPU basically dies during blender rendering, and i feel my 550ti will crush it in terms of speed. My CPU is an AMD fx-6100 that I oc'ed to 4.0 GHz. I am 14 years old btw, so I aint rich, spent all my lifes money on this, I dont have anything else right now, not even to buy gum. :)

Solution
One out, one in...

But don`t worry, maybe you can swop one of them (e-bay?) and Crossfire/SLi when you have them paired up, which will double their speed practically (whichever one will swop). So, you kind of catch up one way or another.

Or; one out and one in, with all the inconvenience of changing your drivers.

There is ALWAYS someone looking to buy one of those cards somewhere.

An important lesson learned.

Invaluable education.
Aug 6, 2013
One out, one in...

But don`t worry, maybe you can swop one of them (e-bay?) and Crossfire/SLi when you have them paired up, which will double their speed practically (whichever one will swop). So, you kind of catch up one way or another.

Or; one out and one in, with all the inconvenience of changing your drivers.

There is ALWAYS someone looking to buy one of those cards somewhere.

An important lesson learned.

Invaluable education.

Solution

ProComputerGaming

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
Lol, I was pushing my luck. I will save up for a titan, the 6GB of VRAM will help a lot. Or should I get a workstation card entry level and give up on gaming and start making em? I actually am serious about this, I am halfway through learning java and Blitz3d, and have just started conquering C for the robot im building with my community college. This is definitely the career I am going in to, so any good advice is welcome. (Not game programming specifically, but programming and computer science and stuff, maybe even a network IT dude). I am the type of guy that gets high off of looking at a spreadsheet and passes out with joy when looking at a motherboard. Lol.