Solved

Best graphics card for a Dell Optiplex 620 mini tower and SFF?

I just bought a used Dell Optiplex 620 to play Fallout 3, Oblivion and New Vegas plus Skyrim (which can be done as I've seen some youtube vids as proof) with the following specs that is a mini tower and was wondering what graphics card would not only fit in it but would be the best?

Here are the specs:

Intel Pentium 4 3.4Ghz

80 GB Hard Drive.

2GB DDR2 Ram (I think)

DVD Player.

A few open PCIe slots (I
read on TH on another thread/post that a mini tower of this type on this kind of PC can only take a card no more then 7.5 inches in length, is this true?)

305w Power Supply

BTX case (not ATX) as far as I know.

I am thinking of a few videos on youtube that I saw from a particular user I found via Google of a Radeon HD 4350 1GB running Fallout 3 and other games on a Dell Optiplex 620 but I cannot find a 1GB HD 4350 only a 512 MB version on Amazon.

Is there a better card then this, the one I mentioned above, that is in the Radeon HD series of cards or Geoforce that will fit inside a Dell Optiplex 620 mini-tower and are compatible with it's power supply?

My final question is would a low profile graphics card fit and work in a Dell Optiplex 620 SFF?

Thanks.
8
answers
Last reply
Best Answer
More about graphics card dell optiplex 620 mini tower sff
  1. A HD7750 would be about the best you could get, and the old P4 may still bottleneck it.
  2. With a pentuim 4 you wont be able to play any of those even if you got a new graphics card. A p4 will bottleneck any decent card and those ganes you listed are more cpu bound
  3. 06yfz450ridr said:
    With a pentuim 4 you wont be able to play any of those even if you got a new graphics card. A p4 will bottleneck any decent card and those ganes you listed are more cpu bound


    See here on youtube, if you want to know if a particular game will run with a certain processor and/or card, then you simply type in the name of the game plus either the card name, processor name/type or both in their search engine and look under the video for more details in the "About" section and comments, anyway...

    Fallout New Vegas on Pentium 4

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abovp-b616g

    Fallout 3 on Dell Optiplex GX620, Radeon 4350

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbEyjiAgXls

    Skyrim (On Pentium 4)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui5UE_-iJOE
  4. bignastyid said:
    A HD7750 would be about the best you could get, and the old P4 may still bottleneck it.


    Thank you! Heard it's a great card btw!

    I am thinking of a Radeon HD 7750 Sapphire. I am hoping it can run on the Dell's 305w power supply.

    I also saw another thread on Tom's Hardware by a poster that posted several pics of the Dell Optiplex 620 mini tower and also all the Dell Optiplex's sizes and he said that 7.5 inches is the limit, length wise so I will try and find one that is 7.5 inches or less via graphics card measurements on Amazon!
  5. 4thcoming said:
    bignastyid said:
    A HD7750 would be about the best you could get, and the old P4 may still bottleneck it.


    Thank you! Heard it's a great card btw!

    I am thinking of a Radeon HD 7750 Sapphire. I am hoping it can run on the Dell's 305w power supply.

    I also saw another thread on Tom's Hardware by a poster that posted several pics of the Dell Optiplex 620 mini tower and also all the Dell Optiplex's sizes and he said that 7.5 inches is the limit, length wise so I will try and find one that is 7.5 inches or less via graphics card measurements on Amazon!

    I'm pretty sure the 305W will hold up!

  6. sora said:
    4thcoming said:
    bignastyid said:
    A HD7750 would be about the best you could get, and the old P4 may still bottleneck it.


    Thank you! Heard it's a great card btw!

    I am thinking of a Radeon HD 7750 Sapphire. I am hoping it can run on the Dell's 305w power supply.

    I also saw another thread on Tom's Hardware by a poster that posted several pics of the Dell Optiplex 620 mini tower and also all the Dell Optiplex's sizes and he said that 7.5 inches is the limit, length wise so I will try and find one that is 7.5 inches or less via graphics card measurements on Amazon!

    I'm pretty sure the 305W will hold up!




    Good to hear/know!

    I also found thos review on Amazon by someone who uses a Sapphire 7770 or 7750 that has a Dell Optiplex 755, they gave a great review btw!

    http://www.amazon.com/review/R3TEYL9DYP9ZQE/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0095MRLJ2&nodeID=541966&store=pc

    Just found this as well:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1706949/upgrade-dell-optiplex-gx620-graphics-card.html
  7. Best answer
    Sapphire 7750 LP is the best card in this class, it is also reported working on 163 watt HP PSU, so you will be fine!
  8. 4thcoming said:
    I just bought a used Dell Optiplex 620 to play Fallout 3, Oblivion and New Vegas plus Skyrim (which can be done as I've seen some youtube vids as proof) with the following specs that is a mini tower and was wondering what graphics card would not only fit in it but would be the best?

    Here are the specs:

    Intel Pentium 4 3.4Ghz

    80 GB Hard Drive.

    2GB DDR2 Ram (I think)

    DVD Player.

    A few open PCIe slots (I
    read on TH on another thread/post that a mini tower of this type on this kind of PC can only take a card no more then 7.5 inches in length, is this true?)

    305w Power Supply

    BTX case (not ATX) as far as I know.

    I am thinking of a few videos on youtube that I saw from a particular user I found via Google of a Radeon HD 4350 1GB running Fallout 3 and other games on a Dell Optiplex 620 but I cannot find a 1GB HD 4350 only a 512 MB version on Amazon.

    Is there a better card then this, the one I mentioned above, that is in the Radeon HD series of cards or Geoforce that will fit inside a Dell Optiplex 620 mini-tower and are compatible with it's power supply?

    My final question is would a low profile graphics card fit and work in a Dell Optiplex 620 SFF?

    Thanks.


    4thcoming said:
    06yfz450ridr said:
    With a pentuim 4 you wont be able to play any of those even if you got a new graphics card. A p4 will bottleneck any decent card and those ganes you listed are more cpu bound


    See here on youtube, if you want to know if a particular game will run with a certain processor and/or card, then you simply type in the name of the game plus either the card name, processor name/type or both in their search engine and look under the video for more details in the "About" section and comments, anyway...

    Fallout New Vegas on Pentium 4

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abovp-b616g

    Fallout 3 on Dell Optiplex GX620, Radeon 4350

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbEyjiAgXls

    Skyrim (On Pentium 4)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui5UE_-iJOE



    You can always go to canirunit.com to check to see if you can run certain games.

    If you really want, you can upgrade your cpu, the dell optiplex gx620 uses a lga775 socket, so the best you could hope for is http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=lga+775+cpu&N=-1&isNodeId=1,

    I am running a dell optiplex gx620, 4gb ram, windows 7, with a nividia geforce gt 630, oh and my processor is a pentium d 3.4ghz...2 cores.
Ask a new question

Read More

Optiplex Video Games Dell Pentium 4 Graphics Graphics Cards Radeon