Need $400 Gaming Build, Open to suggestions.

tuttlemarsh

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP

Budget Range: $400 including shipping

Are you buying a monitor:
No

Do you need to buy OS:
No (Planning on adding Win 7 64x)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
American/Canadian Retailers (Newegg, NCIX, etc)

Parts Preferences:
None really; I'd appreciate if I could get an AMD and Intel build though

Overclocking:
Yes

SLI or Crossfire:
Maybe, probably shouldn't worry about it with this budget?

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments:
My brother wants me to build him a computer. He gave me $400 to do so and I told him I could do it. If I get a good build I plan on buying the parts tonight. He wants to play modern games like BF4. I know that cuts it tight with this budget but he understands he won't be able to max it out. Also, please stray away from an only APU build. I'd like this system to have a discrete video card in it so I may overclock it if needed. This machine will be mostly a gaming machine and surfing the web. Also, I'm not a fan of having an aftermarket heat sink fan with this budget.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading:
My brother has had enough of playing console and wants to upgrade to a decent PC.

Solution

robax91

Distinguished
This should do it, after rebates and discounts, ~ $415

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1X0Pw

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 760K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($77.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI FM2-A85XA-G43 ATX FM2 Motherboard ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Blu Red Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($32.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($19.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $413.92

It's a start.

**Getting a $500 build budget would be great to upgrade the 760k up to an FX chip (4300), as to future proof an FX board. That increase in budget would also get you 8GB RAM, a little bigger PSU (500-550w), and maybe a better case.**

Solution

tuttlemarsh

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013

I like this a lot. I had no clue the 7850 was so cheap now. +1 also for adding solid brands into this too. I felt with this cheap of a budget, you'd have to stray away from it but apparently not. Great job, thanks!

robax91

Distinguished

No problem.

tuttlemarsh

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013

One more thing though, for some reason my partpicker is not excluding the rebates from the price. How do I make it do so? Thanks.

This. This is probably the best you can get.
sig.jpg

sig.jpg