I7 Bloomfield Overheating?

colossusbird

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
I built my own computer about 4 years ago, and now recently it seems to be randomly restarting, my CPU is running at 56C, and its not cause of bad airflow, my case is a Haf 932 or something like that, cant remember off the top of my head, but here is my build to help you guys understand what i am working with:
Msi X58A-GD45
I7 Bloomfield
12gbs of ram 1333
Asus Engtx 460
2tb hdd
and my PSU is 600+wattage module
I also have the standard heatsink for my I7 could that be it?

Solution
ewok93 writes:
> 60?! That stuff is expensive, like $8 a can here! ...

Not when you buy 60 cans at a time. :D Brings the price down to
more like $3 per can (to be precise, I buy them from caboodle_outlet
on eBay UK for 110 UKP for 60 x 400ml).

> Somewhere I read about a battery powered compressor, it just looks
> like a can, but much cheaper than spending $8 every time you want
> to really clean your computer.

I don't use the cans for cleaning computers. For that I have the
industrial 26litre air compressor - powerful enough to make the
airduster cans look like asthmatic gnats. :D See:

http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/sgidepot/pics/systemcleaning.jpg

Likewise, I buy antistatic foam cleanser, gaffer tape, brown tape,
fragile tape...

We look so pretty in the latest experts tab ;)

As for the overheating problem, you should upgrade to an aftermarket cooler such as the Hyper 212 EVO (probably the best air cooler around for cheap). Before that, you could try cleaning out your heatsink with a can of compressed air if you haven't done so already.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

Try refitting the heatsink, replacing the thermal paste in the process.
Could easily be that the generic paste on the standard heatsink has
dried out. Better still, fit a much more effective cooler; a used TRUE
(Thermalright U120 Extreme) is a good choice for this as they're
available cheaply 2nd-hand, though sometimes one can of course
get a really good bargain, eg. I won a Phanteks PH-TC14PE for a
very good price last week (see ebay item 121198957266).

Ian.

Compressed air... love that stuff... if you can't find any for some reason, use a vacuum with the brush attachment, works great on dust between those little slots. The Hyper 212 Evo is a great, universal cooler, and you can find it cheap too.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

I bought 60 cans a while ago. :D Though I also have a 26 litre air
compressor for big jobs.

Yup, anything like that or a TRUE should be fine. Checking past US
auctions, the EVO seems to go for more which is odd as the TRUE
should be more effective overall (6 heatpipes instead of 4), though
there are a lot more EVOs listed at any one time.

Just remember to check any heatsink you buy comes with the
right attachments for LGA 1366 and at least one fan.

Ian.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
ewok93 writes:
> 60?! That stuff is expensive, like $8 a can here! ...

Not when you buy 60 cans at a time. :D Brings the price down to
more like $3 per can (to be precise, I buy them from caboodle_outlet
on eBay UK for 110 UKP for 60 x 400ml).

> Somewhere I read about a battery powered compressor, it just looks
> like a can, but much cheaper than spending $8 every time you want
> to really clean your computer.

I don't use the cans for cleaning computers. For that I have the
industrial 26litre air compressor - powerful enough to make the
airduster cans look like asthmatic gnats. :D See:

http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/sgidepot/pics/systemcleaning.jpg

Likewise, I buy antistatic foam cleanser, gaffer tape, brown tape,
fragile tape, foam chips and bubblewrap always in bulk. The per-
unit savings are enormous, eg. 50m rolls of brown parcel tape end
up costing less than 50p/roll (approx. 80c/roll).

The air cans are more useful for things like doing one last blast of
air across a CPU area prior to mounting a heatsink, or clearing the
last vestiges of dust off a fan after I've already used a brush to get
rid of most of the dust, or clearing RAM sockets before installing
RAM modules, etc. Or, during the summer, held upside down, ideal
for getting rid of wasps. :D (propellant blast at -50C, hehe)

Ian.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS