Looking for Final Advice before purchase

Final Gaming Build link : http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1X8pf

I'm looking for any final advice. I plan on purchasing the part in a few week on Black Friday / Cyber Monday.

Also, are their any extras I should buy?
18 answers Last reply
More about final advice purchase
  1. The case is the wrong color.........LOL, it looks fine, what kind of CPU cooler are you using?

    If you want me to nit pick it that would be hard to do, it all looks like it will be a good gamer :)
  2. endeavour37a said:
    The case is the wrong color.........LOL, it looks fine, what kind of CPU cooler are you using?

    If you want me to nit pick it that would be hard to do, it all looks like it will be a good gamer :)


    I found the case at that price with that color. or did misunderstand?
    - http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/nzxt-nzxt-phantom-410-mid-tower-desktop-computer-case-ca-ph410-r1-red-ca-ph410-r1/10202591.aspx?path=15b8d292d2eb9cfe742eaf46be30161den02.

    also, I planned on using the stock cooler just to start and purchasing the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO later.
  3. Just put that same CPU, MOBO and GPU in my build. Did tons of research on all three and you made good picks ;)
  4. you're cheaping out on your PSU imo though...

    Where in canada are you? I used MemoryExpress to get all my parts... I've never had a better experience with a company and their pricematch policy is unreal... I'd look into them
  5. A good build. If you have the extra $100 to splurge, I would recommend a SSD for the operating system and use the 1TB HDD for a data drive only. This will make the computer load much faster and be generally more responsive.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820721107
  6. Puff3r said:
    A good build. If you have the extra $100 to splurge, I would recommend a SSD for the operating system and use the 1TB HDD for a data drive only. This will make the computer load much faster and be generally more responsive.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820721107


    I planned on getting a few upgrades later like an ssd, and a second 760 for sli, with better psu
  7. If you wait on the SSD you will have to completely reinstall windows to switch to ACHI mode. I can understand waiting on the second 760, but I would never skimp on the power supply. A low quality power supply can not only cause stability issues, it can actually damage hardware.
  8. PierceScott said:
    you're cheaping out on your PSU imo though...

    Where in canada are you? I used MemoryExpress to get all my parts... I've never had a better experience with a company and their pricematch policy is unreal... I'd look into them


    The Psu is a bit cheap, but the reviews seemed very good. I'm open to alternatives though. And I'm about an hour south of Ottawa.
  9. Puff3r said:
    If you wait on the SSD you will have to completely reinstall windows to switch to ACHI mode. I can understand waiting on the second 760, but I would never skimp on the power supply. A low quality power supply can not only cause stability issues, it can actually damage hardware.


    What I mean't by a better power supply is I'd purchase one later that could support 760's in sli, because I'm pretty sure i need more than 550 watts.
  10. whats your budget?
  11. also since you're waiting until it's on sale... you can't really concrete a build, or at least I wouldn't... see whats on sale
  12. PierceScott said:
    whats your budget?


    $1000
  13. PierceScott said:
    also since you're waiting until it's on sale... you can't really concrete a build, or at least I wouldn't... see whats on sale


    True, If I see a better Psu or any other part for that matter on sale for close to the orignal price i'll definately get it.
  14. yeah imo check out the PSU's that are on sale as a priority
  15. Puff3r said:
    If you wait on the SSD you will have to completely reinstall windows to switch to ACHI mode. I can understand waiting on the second 760, but I would never skimp on the power supply. A low quality power supply can not only cause stability issues, it can actually damage hardware.


    So how much of a pain/time investment is it to add an ssd later?
  16. Well you would need to uninstall you OS and everything on your comp and start from scratch essentially....
  17. There are walkthroughs on the web that claim to be able to switch a windows install from IDE to ACHI but in my experience there are always issues later. You could always partition the HDD in two separate drives, one for the OS and one for data that way you can keep your important data on the second partition and when you reinstall Windows not lose as much information. Resizing a partition with data on it is a slow process and it is always possible to lose the data as well. If you can find the money to get the SSD now it is worth not having the headaches later, unless like me you enjoy punishment and reinstall Windows regularly anyway.
  18. If you "plan" on a 2nd 760 to SLI they why get a 550W in the first place (like everyone above is suggesting), 550W would be fine for a single card but not 2 (the 760 is 170 TDP). It just seems like a waste of money to do this. I would forgo the SSD for now and save a bit more for a 750W PS to start off with (a 650W would work but you would have no headroom and it would pretty much have to be gold rating I would think so that would not be a good option either). Just my thoughts
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking Gaming Power Supplies Windows 8 Homebuilt PC gaming NZXT RAM CPUs Seagate XFX Systems Nvidia GPUs Intel i5 Intel Hard Drives Build MSI-Microstar