Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Need help with building a good all round computer

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • RAM
  • CPUs
  • AMD
  • Motherboards
  • Graphics Cards
Last response: in Systems
Share
November 4, 2013 11:58:50 PM

Hey everyone i need help with building a computer. Can someone please check over my parts and see if they all work together and what parts could be replaced with better ones around the same cost.

thanks

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/pfirepfox/saved/2Jql

More about : building good round computer

a c 152 ) Power supply
a c 95 à CPUs
a c 107 V Motherboard
a c 94 U Graphics card
November 5, 2013 12:02:40 AM

What will this computer be mainly used for, and what is your total budget?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2013 12:06:56 AM

Ok.

Changed the CPU and GPU.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1XGcl

10$ more than before. The i7 isn't needed to I made it an i5 4670k and made the GPU an ASUS 280x. 270x just didnt match that beast build.

Tell me what you think

If you are going to use that build, Pick as solution if it helped :) 
m
0
l
Related resources
November 5, 2013 12:24:12 AM

if you're not gunna be doing any overclocking you can consider going with the i5 4670(non-"k") and a more mainstream mobo to save some money. (unless there's some feature that you are wanting like the higher quality on board audio). if you are going to be doing some overclocking and depending on high you wana go, you might wana consider a better cpu cooler.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2013 12:24:20 AM

His mobo is fine...Open the build I did for him, Changed the CPU and GPU. That is perfect.
m
0
l
November 5, 2013 12:26:36 AM

also, i dont know if your going to actually need 2TB of storage, that's quite alot. you could want to look at a single 1TB WD caviar black for better performance.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2013 12:30:55 AM

skrooge64 said:
also, i dont know if your going to actually need 2TB of storage, that's quite alot. you could want to look at a single 1TB WD caviar black for better performance.


Stop making the build worse xD Maybe he needs 2TB.
m
0
l
November 5, 2013 12:31:07 AM

Mirakledba said:
His mobo is fine...Open the build I did for him, Changed the CPU and GPU. That is perfect.


Yea, it's an amazing mobo, just throwing the suggestion out there if they were not going to do any overclocking to save some $$$
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2013 12:33:40 AM

skrooge64 said:
Mirakledba said:
His mobo is fine...Open the build I did for him, Changed the CPU and GPU. That is perfect.


Yea, it's an amazing mobo, just throwing the suggestion out there if they were not going to do any overclocking to save some $$$


Lol. PFIREPFOX, The build i setup is better than before. You will be able to play games at ultra 1080p.

I would appreciate it if you picked me as solution as I am 1 away from graphics card and CPU's expert :) 
m
0
l
November 5, 2013 12:35:07 AM

Mirakledba said:
skrooge64 said:
also, i dont know if your going to actually need 2TB of storage, that's quite alot. you could want to look at a single 1TB WD caviar black for better performance.


Stop making the build worse xD Maybe he needs 2TB.


lol, once again, just a suggestion. and would actually add performance to the build and also lower the price a bit (if that is a concern for them) if they arnt going to need the 2TBs. Also, you also wana throw out the option of getting the WD black and adding a second drive later on if needed.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2013 12:37:18 AM

skrooge64 said:
Mirakledba said:
skrooge64 said:
also, i dont know if your going to actually need 2TB of storage, that's quite alot. you could want to look at a single 1TB WD caviar black for better performance.


Stop making the build worse xD Maybe he needs 2TB.


lol, once again, just a suggestion. and would actually add performance to the build and also lower the price a bit (if that is a concern for them) if they arnt going to need the 2TBs. Also, you also wana throw out the option of getting the WD black and adding a second drive later on if needed.


The only reason to remove 1TB is to get closer to adding an SSD...

I dont know how he doesnt have an SSD in there but other than that its good. I dont even have an SSD XD
m
0
l
November 5, 2013 12:44:15 AM

well we have not been given a budget yet, so i im just trying to think of other cost effective ideas. So, what if his budget doesn't have room for an SSD, or if he(or she) doesnt feel that they dont find an SSD attractive for w/e reason. you ask how he doesnt have an SSD in there, budget could be a good cause, or like you think, it could just be an over sight.
m
0
l
November 5, 2013 12:50:10 AM

Nice build, Mirakledba.
just wondering what the difference is in intel i7 4770k and the i5 4670k


m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2013 12:52:04 AM

Well i know how to get him an SSD...

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1XGEn

THERE! Even cheaper. Removed one 1TB HDD, made the ram 8GB. Added an SSD.
m
0
l
November 5, 2013 12:52:50 AM

Hyper threading, 2MB of L3 cashe, 100MHz, and $100
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2013 12:53:37 AM

pfirepfox said:
Nice build, Mirakledba.
just wondering what the difference is in intel i7 4770k and the i5 4770k





The i7 is stronger...but not needed at all!

Do you want an SSD, Do you need 2TB and do you need 16GB of ram?

Because I could remove 1TB, make the ram 8GB and add a 128gb SSD! BLAZING fast. Ok? Or do you like the other build i put together?
m
0
l
November 5, 2013 12:55:12 AM

i would like the hyperthreading because this computer isn't only for gaming i want it to do many other things

m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2013 12:56:09 AM

pfirepfox said:
i would like the hyperthreading because this computer isn't only for gaming i want it to do many other things



Hm...Ok if you want the i7 thats fine but I would have to make the ram 8GB and only add 1TB in order for the build to be in your budget with the 280X, ok?

m
0
l
November 5, 2013 12:56:41 AM

don't need the ssd now planning on getting it when they have come down in price. the 16gbs is use full because i am going to be working with a lot of videos

m
0
l
a c 152 ) Power supply
a c 95 à CPUs
a c 107 V Motherboard
a c 94 U Graphics card
November 5, 2013 12:57:36 AM

If you do video rendering for example, the i7 and 16gb of ram will come in handy. But for gaming, it is overkill. An i5 4670k and 8gb of ram is plenty. Make those changes, get yourself an R9 280x or a GTX 770. That would be a much stronger gaming machine.

I also question that power supply. It has great reviews, but the fact that they only give it a 3 year warranty makes me feel like they know something we don't. If you're not stuck on that one, check out XFX, Corsair (non-CX), Antec HCG, or any seasonic PSU instead.

Edit: just saw you do rendering. The i7/16Gb ram may be the way to go then. I was hoping to find a way to get you up to an R9 280x or GTX 770 for gaming. No big deal, if you find the R9 270x slow, you can always double up in crossfire.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2013 1:01:03 AM

Ok if you dont want an SSD than do you want
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1XGcl
or
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1XGGU

They are close but one has 2TB and one has 1TB. One has 8GB ram which is enough and 1 has 16gb.

Its a tradeoff... i7 for 1TB and 8 gb ram or i5 for 2TB and 16GB ram..which one suits your needs?

if you want we can do an i7 16gb ram and 1TB....But that will be 40$ more...what is your maximum budget?
m
0
l
November 5, 2013 1:02:59 AM

ok i am gonna redo my parts list and repost it.
forgot to mention it has to be Australian dollars
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2013 1:04:26 AM

pfirepfox said:
ok i am gonna redo my parts list and repost it.
forgot to mention it has to be Australian dollars



Ok but how man Australian dollars?
Just give me a max budget and ill do something.
m
0
l
a c 152 ) Power supply
a c 95 à CPUs
a c 107 V Motherboard
a c 94 U Graphics card
November 5, 2013 1:05:35 AM

One area you can shave some costs is your motherboard. I have the same one, (but the micro-atx version) and love it. It's an enthusiast board that costs a premium for excellent overclocking tweaks, and really nice onboard sound. I love it very much, but to be honest, it may be worth it for you to go down a tier on the motherboard and upgrade to a better graphics card. It really depends on how much you game, and at what resolution.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2013 1:06:38 AM

jimthenagual said:
One area you can shave some costs is your motherboard. I have the same one, (but the micro-atx version) and love it. It's an enthusiast board that costs a premium for excellent overclocking tweaks, and a really nice sound card. I love it very much, but to be honest, it may be worth it for you to go down a tier on the motherboard and upgrade to a better graphics card. It really depends on how much you game, and at what resolution.


Yeah. Pfire.
I am gonna put together a build for you using the Micro ATX board, I was just searching for it xD


cant find it on PC part picker...


Ok i really need your budget dude... xD
m
0
l
November 5, 2013 1:08:10 AM

Less than $1900
requirements:
1) intel i7 4770k
2) 16gb ram at 2000 or more
3) a good motherboard that can handle the ram and processor that can also overclock
4) 2tb space
5) decent 2gb graphics card
6) optical drive that can read blueray and also read and write dvd/cd

i dont game that much, but like to have the option. i would rather a better motherboard that makes the whole computer faster and last for a long time
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2013 1:09:26 AM

pfirepfox said:
Less than $1900
requirements:
1) intel i7 4770k
2) 16gb ram at 2000 or more
3) a good motherboard that can handle the ram and processor that can also overclock
4) 2tb space
5) decent 2gb graphics card
6) optical drive that can read blueray and also read and write dvd/cd


$1900 us dollars or Australian?
m
0
l
November 5, 2013 1:10:27 AM

australian
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2013 1:13:36 AM

pfirepfox said:
australian



I am sorry but we are 40 Australian dollars over.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/1XGO2

Is that ok? Its the same as the first one you linked except it has the GIGBABYTE 270x with a better cooler...

Now that we know your needs, its a beast for editing and all but for gaming it could have been better.
m
0
l
November 5, 2013 1:18:17 AM

sweet thanks guys just wanted to get some really good opinions on my build thanks for your help
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2013 1:18:33 AM

Hold on i have an idea involving the PSU
m
0
l
a c 152 ) Power supply
a c 95 à CPUs
a c 107 V Motherboard
a c 94 U Graphics card
November 5, 2013 1:20:43 AM

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/jimthenagual/saved/2JUy

-Gave you an equivalent PSU that costs less. It's an XFX made by seasonic, 5 year warranty.
-Switched to the Asus Z87-pro motherboard. Will still handle the ram/cpu beautifully, and has great overclockability. That's a new word I think.
-Added the R9 280x graphics card. Big jump up from the 270x for gaming.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($379.00 @ PLE Computers)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($40.00 @ CPL Online)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($275.00 @ CPL Online)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($199.00 @ CPL Online)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.00 @ PLE Computers)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.00 @ PLE Computers)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($409.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC66 802.11b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($108.99 @ Mwave Australia)
Case: Silverstone SST-RL01B-W-USB 3.0 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($55.00 @ CPL Online)
Case Fan: Silverstone FN121-P-RL 58.5 CFM 120mm Fan ($12.00 @ CPL Online)
Case Fan: BitFenix BFF-SCF-14025KK-RP 47.7 CFM 140mm Fan ($10.00 @ CPL Online)
Power Supply: XFX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($109.00 @ PLE Computers)
Optical Drive: Lite-On IHES312-98 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($59.00 @ CPL Online)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($109.00 @ CPL Online)
Total: $1898.99
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-05 20:23 EST+1100)
m
0
l
November 5, 2013 1:20:48 AM

was actually about to ask that forgot about it

m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2013 1:21:58 AM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1XGRc

Hows this?

The price for the PSU isnt there but its 119 and its very good. I bought it. Total to be 1808. 8 over your budget. Ok? :) 

Just remove (au,) from the URL and you will see the full price
m
0
l
November 5, 2013 1:22:25 AM

jimthenagual said:
http://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/jimthenagual/saved/2JUy

-Gave you an equivalent PSU that costs less. It's an XFX made by seasonic.
-Switched to the Asus Z87-pro motherboard. Will still handle the ram/cpu beautifully, and has great overclockability. That's a new word I think.
-Added the R9 280x graphics card. Big jump up from the 270x for gaming.


nice build that does everything very well
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2013 1:26:07 AM

Ok i changed the Mobo to the one Jim put but i put a SAPPHIRE 280x
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1XGTK
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2013 1:27:45 AM

Note the GPU i put is the best 280x out there. I even bought one. AND ITS IN YOUR BUDGET :) 

What do you say? If you will be using it, Please pick as solution (who ever you want) As i am 1 away from CPU and GPU expert! :D 
m
0
l
November 5, 2013 1:28:19 AM

cant easily get the saphire in australia
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2013 1:30:33 AM

pfirepfox said:
whats the difference between them?


Mine has a stronger GPU, PSU.

I dont know why his GPU ( the one he put) is 400. It should be 360.

So which one you gonna use? Whatever you pick, no one will be offended.
m
0
l
a c 152 ) Power supply
a c 95 à CPUs
a c 107 V Motherboard
a c 94 U Graphics card
November 5, 2013 1:31:01 AM

Mirakledba said:
Ok i changed the Mobo to the one Jim put but i put a SAPPHIRE 280x
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1XGTK


Looks really good. Two comments:

- That cpu cooler is a great entry level cooler. Probably the most common of them all. But don't expect extreme overclocking with it. You should be ok up to say, 4.4Ghz or so (all depends on the chip). If you want more than that, you'd probably want to look at the noctua NH-D14 or a closed loop liquid cooling setup.

-SSDs are optional in my opinion. You don't need one, but they really are nice to have. The speed at which everything opens is just amazing, including windows boot times.

Food for thought.
m
0
l
November 5, 2013 1:32:03 AM

cant get you psu or gpu in Australia very easily
:/ 
and i dont need to over clock that much, it is just incase and i will add the ssd in later
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2013 1:33:38 AM

jimthenagual said:
Mirakledba said:
Ok i changed the Mobo to the one Jim put but i put a SAPPHIRE 280x
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1XGTK


Looks really good. Two comments:

- That cpu cooler is a great entry level cooler. Probably the most common of them all. But don't expect extreme overclocking with it. You should be ok up to say, 4.4Ghz or so (all depends on the chip). If you want more than that, you'd probably want to look at the noctua NH-D14 or a closed loop liquid cooling setup.

-SSDs are optional in my opinion. You don't need one, but they really are nice to have. The speed at which everything opens is just amazing, including windows boot times.

Food for thought.


Yeah I agree.

Pfire, My build and his ( the ones we just put for you) are the same...Just mine has a better PSU but i cant see the full price..idk why it says 1.6k.

So all we need to know is if you're going to do heavy gaming..?

ULTRA or High at 1080p. What do you need?
m
0
l
November 5, 2013 1:34:30 AM

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/1XGXf right on the money at $1845 (Australian i believe). Using a micro-atx that is very OCable and made from military grade parts with a 5 year warranty i believe that will have room for your wireless card and Video card which would be a 7950 with 3GB VRAM. an H80i cooling your OC'd CPU and a higher quality 750w PSU. :) 
m
0
l
November 5, 2013 1:35:03 AM

dont need ultra high graphics, just want above normal with a fast computer that can handle what i need to do

m
0
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2013 1:36:37 AM

pfirepfox said:
cant get you psu or gpu in Australia very easily
:/ 
and i dont need to over clock that much, it is just incase and i will add the ssd in later


Ok well i added the same PSU as jim now...and the GPU...Eh they are both the exact same thing
http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/1XGZ6

But this is a SLIGHTLY stronger asus 280x
Share
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2013 1:38:28 AM

The GPU i added is 10 more as it is a "v2" of the one jim put. Its over your budget total by 8$ which im sure is fine. So what do you say?

It is a beast for gaming FOR EVEN ULTRA AND editing! It really comes down to paying 10 more for a GPU :3

Pick solution for whoevers build you're gonna use. EITHER WAY you can not go wrong...That build is better than both of ours.

Have fun. :)  Any questions, im here.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2013 1:41:55 AM

pfirepfox said:
http://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/pfirepfox/saved/2Jql
this one is really good and meets everything i need

Thanks guys for your help really made a difference


Yay that was mine :)  Thanks buddy. Have fun with the beast build. Dont forget to pick solution to end the thread.
m
0
l
a c 152 ) Power supply
a c 95 à CPUs
a c 107 V Motherboard
a c 94 U Graphics card
November 5, 2013 1:43:29 AM

Glad to help! You'll enjoy that build very much I'm sure.
m
0
l
      • 1 / 2
      • 2
      • Newest
!