Solved

Opinions on ~800$ Gaming PC

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($63.75 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.95 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($266.13 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $789.79
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-05 03:58 EST-0500)

After doing all the research I could, this is the best I could come up with for about 700$-800$ (800$ is my max). Since this is my first time doing this sort of thing, I wanted to get some opinions on it (overpriced parts, incompatible, bad manufacturers, etc). I already have everything else; monitor, keyboard, mouse, headphones, OS. I'm not near a Microcenter :P
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about opinions 800 gaming
  1. would go for an amd 8320, and a gtx 760 gpu, or an amd gpu
  2. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Pro3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($63.75 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.95 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $758.65
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-05 04:44 EST-0500)

    The 4430 saves 15 bucks and I prefer asrock over MSI but both boards would work. Grab a GTX 760 if you want Nvidia or get a 7950 if you prefer ATI.
  3. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1XHfc
    This right here is better. Much better.

    16GB for his budget is overkill!

    Please pick as solution
  4. Mirakledba said:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1XHfc
    This right here is better. Much better.

    16GB for his budget is overkill!

    Please pick as solution


    Hmmm my part list with a higher priced psu and less powerful GPU(thats a re-branded 7870), brilliant! Seriously tho if you want to spend closer to $800 and get some better performance swap the hdd out with a 120/128GB $100ish SSD like the samsung 840. You could save a few bucks on the case but the one you have picked out is pretty solid.
  5. Yep. I would suggest going for the build I put as it has a stronger GPU and No lie, I got 3 people to buy it ON THIS SITE yesterday.

    Pick as solution please :)
  6. imaurer269 said:
    Mirakledba said:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1XHfc
    This right here is better. Much better.

    16GB for his budget is overkill!

    Please pick as solution


    Hmmm my part list with a higher priced psu and less powerful GPU(thats a re-branded 7870), brilliant! Seriously tho if you want to spend closer to $800 and get some better performance swap the hdd out with a 120/128GB $100ish SSD like the samsung 840. You could save a few bucks on the case but the one you have picked out is pretty solid.


    How much of a difference is the SSD? I've heard a range from 'not even noticeable' to 'vastly better'. I'd be totally fine with changing the case if it's a big deal.
  7. Atheri said:
    imaurer269 said:
    Mirakledba said:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1XHfc
    This right here is better. Much better.

    16GB for his budget is overkill!

    Please pick as solution


    Hmmm my part list with a higher priced psu and less powerful GPU(thats a re-branded 7870), brilliant! Seriously tho if you want to spend closer to $800 and get some better performance swap the hdd out with a 120/128GB $100ish SSD like the samsung 840. You could save a few bucks on the case but the one you have picked out is pretty solid.


    How much of a difference is the SSD? I've heard a range from 'not even noticeable' to 'vastly better'. I'd be totally fine with changing the case if it's a big deal.

    I personally wouldn't think it is even noticeable at all.

  8. Best answer
    sora said:
    Atheri said:
    imaurer269 said:
    Mirakledba said:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1XHfc
    This right here is better. Much better.

    16GB for his budget is overkill!

    Please pick as solution


    Hmmm my part list with a higher priced psu and less powerful GPU(thats a re-branded 7870), brilliant! Seriously tho if you want to spend closer to $800 and get some better performance swap the hdd out with a 120/128GB $100ish SSD like the samsung 840. You could save a few bucks on the case but the one you have picked out is pretty solid.


    How much of a difference is the SSD? I've heard a range from 'not even noticeable' to 'vastly better'. I'd be totally fine with changing the case if it's a big deal.

    I personally wouldn't think it is even noticeable at all.




    Have you ever used a SSD then? In almost every modern pc/laptop today the slowest component is the hdd. Even the slowest SSD is leaps and bounds faster. It might not improve your fps in a game but it drastically reduces load times in all applications including your OS start up and shut down.

    I deal with all types of laptops and desktops as a hobby builder and repair tech and it absolutely sucks going from my personal pc/laptop that both have SSD's to anything without one.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Systems