Solved

USB 3.0 won't recognize 4TB External Hard drive

Hello,

I have bought a Seagate 4TB USB 3.0 external hard drive. When I plug it into my USB 3.0 port it powers on but no prompt pops up in windows, it doesn't install or show in my computer.

Motherboard is asus m4a87td/usb3. Please help.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about usb recognize 4tb external hard drive
  1. Maybe you didn't wait long enough for the drivers to install?
  2. Can you see it in your Manage Computer / Disk Management as a Disk?

    If so, right click it and create GPT/GUID partition on it. Then you must use quick format NTFS.
  3. gaborbarla said:
    Can you see it in your Manage Computer / Disk Management as a Disk?

    If so, right click it and create GPT/GUID partition on it. Then you must use quick format NTFS.


    Sorry, it doesn't appear in disk management.

    And phatthefirst, it's still plugged in and has been for 30 mins.
  4. What happens if you unplug it and plug it into another port? Try both usb2 and usb3.
  5. gaborbarla said:
    What happens if you unplug it and plug it into another port? Try both usb2 and usb3.


    Works on USB 2.0, both USB 3.0 ports don't work.
  6. please check if your USB 3 drivers are installed for your motherboard.

    I also constantly have hassles wit usb 3 ports and often they don't work or randomly disconnect.
  7. gaborbarla said:
    please check if your USB 3 drivers are installed for your motherboard.

    I also constantly have hassles wit usb 3 ports and often they don't work or randomly disconnect.


    How do I check this? :) and where can I download them? Windows usually installs all my drivers automatically
  8. Best answer
    Go to http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A87TDUSB3/#support
    then select drivers & tools and you OS and install the downloaded file.
  9. gaborbarla said:
    Go to http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A87TDUSB3/#support
    then select drivers & tools and you OS and install the downloaded file.


    I feel like a retard for not installing the drivers in the first place. Thanks, this solved my problem.
Ask a new question

Read More

Storage USB3 External Hard Drive