Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

i7 4770k + ASUS Sabertooth z87 or i7 4820k + ASUS x79 for 3D modelling/rendering (Sketchup, AutoCAD, 3DS MAX)

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 5, 2013 4:03:39 AM

Hi there PC masters!

I'm currently on the process of building my new workstation and gaming rig and I'm having a bit of a problem on what setup is best for my purposes. I'm stuck with these 2 options:

1. i7 4770k Haswell + ASUS Sabertooth Z87 motherboard
2. i7 4820k Ivy Bridge E + ASUS X79 (either the new DELUXE or the ROG RAMPAGE Black edition) motherboard.

I'm planning on using 32gb (4x8gb) 1866mhz RAM and EVGA GTX 760 SuperClocked 4GB VGA.

Looking forward to your expert opinions! Thanks in advance.

More about : 4770k asus sabertooth z87 4820k asus x79 modelling rendering sketchup autocad 3ds max

a b Ĉ ASUS
November 5, 2013 4:11:23 AM

There is NO reason you would choose the Quad core 4820K above the 4770K.

m
0
l
Related resources
November 5, 2013 4:21:35 AM

Novuake said:
There is NO reason you would choose the Quad core 4820K above the 4770K.



Hmm, I was considering the 4820k Ivy Bridge-E solely because of the quad channel memory support and the assumption that I can upgrade to a 6-core if ever the need arises, but I digress. Do you think I'd be wasting money on the x79 platform?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
November 5, 2013 4:31:10 AM

Yes, you definitely would be wasting a lot of money by going x79 for almost no benefit.
Hell the 4770K performs similar to the 6core 4930K in many cases.

Share
November 5, 2013 4:42:45 AM

Novuake said:
Yes, you definitely would be wasting a lot of money by going x79 for almost no benefit.
Hell the 4770K performs similar to the 6core 4930K in many cases.



Noted! Thank you for the reply sir, much appreciated. :) 
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 5, 2013 5:04:28 AM

No problem. If you want some reviews I can post them, but a google search for 4770K reviews will prove it well enough.
m
0
l
November 27, 2013 3:24:38 PM

Hi m8 i would say it depends also if you are going to be oc'ing or not
i just got the 4820k and the asus x79 deluxe at a stable oc 4.5ghz and with turbo 4.7ghz im not even hiting over 65c in prime95 small fft's (6hrs)
and how i have understod it the 4770k runs realy hot
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 27, 2013 10:31:53 PM

Torment_78 said:
Hi m8 i would say it depends also if you are going to be oc'ing or not
i just got the 4820k and the asus x79 deluxe at a stable oc 4.5ghz and with turbo 4.7ghz im not even hiting over 65c in prime95 small fft's (6hrs)
and how i have understod it the 4770k runs realy hot


Without knowing your cooler, that info is useless.
m
0
l
November 28, 2013 1:30:27 AM

Sorry m8 was a bit sleepy
im running at the moment corsair H110
and i did some more tweaking yesterday
and got it running 4.7+ with the 1.25 strap
no turbo still kept it under 70c most of the time it was under 65c but at a certend point in prime95 small fft's it went up to 67c and then back again
hole run was 3hrs compleat staible . but sucked allot of power so my day to day is the oc from the other post
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 28, 2013 2:15:04 AM

Torment_78 said:
Sorry m8 was a bit sleepy
im running at the moment corsair H110
and i did some more tweaking yesterday
and got it running 4.7+ with the 1.25 strap
no turbo still kept it under 70c most of the time it was under 65c but at a certend point in prime95 small fft's it went up to 67c and then back again
hole run was 3hrs compleat staible . but sucked allot of power so my day to day is the oc from the other post


Well if you were to add an H110 to a 4770K you would get similar temps. So nothing special about 2011.
m
0
l
November 28, 2013 3:42:54 AM

Ok that i cant argue with since i only been tinkering with a 4770k with a H100 and that was running at 75+ @ 4.5ghz with prime95 and i meen constant
never droped down under 75c during 3hrs
mine only spiked at one point to 70c on one core just for a nano sec just enugh time for it to be regestered

i agree its nothing special if our not going for the 4960x at a later moment to be honest all comes down to the money and what you want, for they run,clock,and perform similar , do you see your self needing a six core in the future or just want the possibility
i love the x79 deluxe the look the features but not the price :-)
m
0
l
November 28, 2013 4:16:58 AM

Actually your gtx 760 is more like OK if you are going for a Game/workstation build. but for me instead you going for an expensive motherboard and 32gb ram, go for an Asus z87-A which is 100+ cheaper than sabertooth and get 16gb ram (2x8gb ram) then upgrade it later to 32gb.

Why? because if you are doing 3Dsmax modeling / rendering (like me) you might want to invest for a greater Ghrapics Card, because the thing is, the more polygons you are making the slower it stutters on viewport and like games the frame rate drops.

from what ive experience, theres no comparison on the smoothness to Model on a gtx 780 compare from my office workstation computer gtx 660.

So I suggest that if you take it to consideration, you dont need a luxurious mobo for the task you need. You need to invest more on your GPU rather than the mobo. for rendering 4770K is actually really good. and you can OC it to improve performance. ditch the i7 4820k if I were you, that mobo is great but.... its stupidly expensive. if you are going to build an e-series you might want to go with I7-4930K to I7-4960X

If money is not an object to you then go for it :) 
m
0
l
!