Solved

GeForce GTX 260 upgrade

First of all I would like to say thank you in advance for all the help I am sure to receive. Secondly, I would like to add that I know very little about hardware, so if you would be so kind as to bear with me, I would greatly appreciate it.

As the threat post suggests, I am looking to upgrade my GTX 260. The card has done fine up until recently. I find that I cannot play recent games or can barely play them. For that reason I am looking to upgrade. It is important to note that I have had this card for upwards of 5 years, as I have had no reason to upgrade.

I would like to explore all of my options, however would ideally like to keep it in the 150-250 range or lower if possible. I also found that Newegg is running this promotion http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130949&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL110513&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL110513-_-EMC-110513-Index-_-DesktopGraphicsVideoCards-_-14130949-L0D They are throwing in two games which I was going to purchase anyway, saving me nearly $120. I would like to know your thoughts on this as well.

I am running a 27" monitor, 1920x1080.

I was not able to determine what PSU I had, but since the GTX 260 is a power hog, I figure I have at the very least a 500W PSU.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name -PC
System Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
System Model System Product Name
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz, 2668 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0502, 5/11/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume3
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name -PC\
Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 9.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 8.99 GB
Available Physical Memory 7.14 GB
Total Virtual Memory 18.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 15.9 GB
Page File Space 8.99 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about geforce gtx 260 upgrade
  1. That deal is great, this card comes with it and is it your budget http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125443
  2. you can also go with a 7870 which will perform very well at $185.00

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202025

    or looking in the lower price range you can get a 650 ti
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121728

    or a 7850 which is below your price range
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127663

    and finally maxing your price range would be a gtx 760 i will recommend the gtx 760 in your link but if you dont have the money atm you can buy this one
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130933
  3. what's wrong with a 7950/70............. should be maybe even a little cheaper than the n760 and faster. read info in link

    http://www.techspot.com/review/734-battlefield-4-benchmarks/
  4. Computerchap said:
    That deal is great, this card comes with it and is it your budget http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125443


    Thank you for the reply! I was looking at that card earlier today and is definitely on the top of my list, however, I have always had Nvidia cards. They have lasted me the longest and I thought I might stay with them. Any recommendations?
  5. issy2401 said:
    you can also go with a 7870 which will perform very well at $185.00

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202025

    or looking in the lower price range you can get a 650 ti
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121728

    or a 7850 which is below your price range
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127663

    and finally maxing your price range would be a gtx 760 i will recommend the gtx 760 in your link but if you dont have the money atm you can buy this one
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130933


    I was very interested in the GTX 760, however it is on the higher end. I'm really torn on what to buy, you guys have given me such great choices. Basically I want something that will last me at least 3-4 years and will run games smoothly. I don't need the best just something that is going to last me.

    However, on the other hand, the 760 will last me a long time, or so it seems.
  6. Jonrojas said:
    Computerchap said:
    That deal is great, this card comes with it and is it your budget http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125443


    Thank you for the reply! I was looking at that card earlier today and is definitely on the top of my list, however, I have always had Nvidia cards. They have lasted me the longest and I thought I might stay with them. Any recommendations?


    The card I recommended is a nvidia card, so I'm assuming you mean EVGA? If that's the case then I can give you a EVGA link. Oh and it would be best to go with the 760 for a 2-4 year card, I found a EVGA one in your price range (max) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130933
  7. Computerchap said:
    Jonrojas said:
    Computerchap said:
    That deal is great, this card comes with it and is it your budget http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125443


    Thank you for the reply! I was looking at that card earlier today and is definitely on the top of my list, however, I have always had Nvidia cards. They have lasted me the longest and I thought I might stay with them. Any recommendations?


    The card I recommended is a nvidia card, so I'm assuming you mean EVGA? If that's the case then I can give you a EVGA link. Oh and it would be best to go with the 760 for a 2-4 year card, I found a EVGA one in your price range (max) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130933
    That is the card I am leaning towards. However $250 is somewhat steep. I hate to bother, but is there anything in the 175-200 range that you would recommend? Or is it worth it just to invest the few dollars more and get that card. I'm ready to buy ASAP because all of the games I want are either out, or going to be released soon. You seem very knowledgeable and am probably gonna go with what you two recommend.
  8. Best answer
    Jonrojas said:
    Computerchap said:
    Jonrojas said:
    Computerchap said:
    That deal is great, this card comes with it and is it your budget http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125443


    Thank you for the reply! I was looking at that card earlier today and is definitely on the top of my list, however, I have always had Nvidia cards. They have lasted me the longest and I thought I might stay with them. Any recommendations?


    The card I recommended is a nvidia card, so I'm assuming you mean EVGA? If that's the case then I can give you a EVGA link. Oh and it would be best to go with the 760 for a 2-4 year card, I found a EVGA one in your price range (max) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130933
    That is the card I am leaning towards. However $250 is somewhat steep. I hate to bother, but is there anything in the 175-200 range that you would recommend? Or is it worth it just to invest the few dollars more and get that card. I'm ready to buy ASAP because all of the games I want are either out, or going to be released soon. You seem very knowledgeable and am probably gonna go with what you two recommend.


    Well, I don't mean to pat my own back but I am #1 in gaming this month :P. Sorry I'm just kind of proud about that. Anyway, it is worth it to go with the 760 but the 660 will be fine for another couple years on high(might have to go down to medium in maybe 2 years) If you don't mind buying a refurbished card you can get a 660 ti (760 performance) for $200 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130854 or if you want a new card the 660 is great price/performance ratio and can be bought for the same price http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130967
  9. Computerchap said:
    Jonrojas said:
    Computerchap said:
    Jonrojas said:
    Computerchap said:
    That deal is great, this card comes with it and is it your budget http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125443


    Thank you for the reply! I was looking at that card earlier today and is definitely on the top of my list, however, I have always had Nvidia cards. They have lasted me the longest and I thought I might stay with them. Any recommendations?


    The card I recommended is a nvidia card, so I'm assuming you mean EVGA? If that's the case then I can give you a EVGA link. Oh and it would be best to go with the 760 for a 2-4 year card, I found a EVGA one in your price range (max) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130933
    That is the card I am leaning towards. However $250 is somewhat steep. I hate to bother, but is there anything in the 175-200 range that you would recommend? Or is it worth it just to invest the few dollars more and get that card. I'm ready to buy ASAP because all of the games I want are either out, or going to be released soon. You seem very knowledgeable and am probably gonna go with what you two recommend.


    Well, I don't mean to pat my own back but I am #1 in gaming this month :P. Sorry I'm just kind of proud about that. Anyway, it is worth it to go with the 760 but the 660 will be fine for another couple years on high(might have to go down to medium in maybe 2 years) If you don't mind buying a refurbished card you can get a 660 ti (760 performance) for $200 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130854 or if you want a new card the 660 is great price/performance ratio and can be bought for the same price http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130967


    It looks like Newegg is running promos on all of their high end cards. The 660 seems amazing for the price
  10. Yep, it's a great card for gaming.
  11. Computerchap said:
    Yep, it's a great card for gaming.


    I think I am going to go with the 660 and maybe upgrade in two years, I really do appreciate all of your help!
  12. Jonrojas said:
    Computerchap said:
    Yep, it's a great card for gaming.


    I think I am going to go with the 660 and maybe upgrade in two years, I really do appreciate all of your help!


    I'm going to go out of the way and say it............ you're obviously hooked on nvidia products. and you're shopping with your wallet, not your brain. the 7950/7970 is faster and will be a better coupling with your set up. the 660 really isn't as good as some would have you believe. you need to rethink............... but am sure you won't.
  13. Jonrojas said:
    Computerchap said:
    Yep, it's a great card for gaming.


    I think I am going to go with the 660 and maybe upgrade in two years, I really do appreciate all of your help!


    I'm going to go out of the way and say it............ you're obviously hooked on nvidia products. and you're shopping with your wallet, not your brain. the 7950/7970 is faster and will be a better coupling with your set up. the 660 really isn't as good as some would have you believe. you need to rethink............... but am sure you won't. ........ i have a 660 in the machine i'm on now with a faster processor than you have.
  14. swifty_morgan said:
    Jonrojas said:
    Computerchap said:
    Yep, it's a great card for gaming.


    I think I am going to go with the 660 and maybe upgrade in two years, I really do appreciate all of your help!


    I'm going to go out of the way and say it............ you're obviously hooked on nvidia products. and you're shopping with your wallet, not your brain. the 7950/7970 is faster and will be a better coupling with your set up. the 660 really isn't as good as some would have you believe. you need to rethink............... but am sure you won't. ........ i have a 660 in the machine i'm on now with a faster processor than you have.


    A 7950 is not in his price range, he asked me for something max $200 so I said the 660, the 7950 while an excellent card is $250- $300.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gtx Graphics