Solved

Second Router to Connect an Ethernet Cable Downstairs For Extending WiFi?

Hello. I have no WiFi signal downstairs but I do have an ethernet cable that runs from my router upstairs (which is a router/modem combo) & connects to a computer down there. Can I use another router downstairs to connect to my computer to create another WiFi signal or is there a better option? Thank you.

EDIT: I'm going to assume I need to research creating an Access Point/Bridge from a secondary Router. I've found some threads here which I will study, if this is the case I will erase my post to avoid redundancy.
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about router connect ethernet cable downstairs extending wifi
  1. An Access Point is what you're looking for. You can use another router, but if you don't already have one, get a device dedicated for it.
    http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WA801ND-Wireless-300Mbps-Repeater/dp/B004UBU8IE
  2. Thanks. That looks like something out of Star Wars (: I will need to keep the PC downstairs plugged in to Ethernet, so I'm assuming I will need a multiple port? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315122 perhaps? Would Paying an extra $10 be worth getting detachable antennae (not for a range issue but for stronger signal)?
  3. Best answer
    andycane said:
    Thanks. That looks like something out of Star Wars (: I will need to keep the PC downstairs plugged in to Ethernet, so I'm assuming I will need a multiple port? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315122 perhaps?


    That one will work as well.
  4. One more question. Does the access point only retrieve data wirelessly from the router or can it retrieve it by connecting an Ethernet cable plugged from the router upstairs? I don't want to loose any signal strength downstairs.
  5. andycane said:
    One more question. Does the access point only retrieve data wirelessly from the router or can it retrieve it by connecting an Ethernet cable plugged from the router upstairs? I don't want to loose any signal strength downstairs.


    There are some that do both.
    Original router - wire - AP or bridge - wired and wireless devices.
  6. andycane said:
    Thanks. That looks like something out of Star Wars (: I will need to keep the PC downstairs plugged in to Ethernet, so I'm assuming I will need a multiple port? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315122 perhaps? Would Paying an extra $10 be worth getting detachable antennae (not for a range issue but for stronger signal)?

    Yes, $10 for the attachable antenna would be worth it if you want a stronger signal.


  7. USAFRet said:
    An Access Point is what you're looking for. You can use another router, but if you don't already have one, get a device dedicated for it.
    http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WA801ND-Wireless-300Mbps-Repeater/dp/B004UBU8IE


    Since it will need to share the Ethernet port downstairs, could I pick up a network switch and use the one you recommended or should I find a different AP? I think the previous one I showed you only works wirelessly...
  8. andycane said:
    USAFRet said:
    An Access Point is what you're looking for. You can use another router, but if you don't already have one, get a device dedicated for it.
    http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WA801ND-Wireless-300Mbps-Repeater/dp/B004UBU8IE


    Since it will need to share the Ethernet port downstairs, could I pick up a network switch and use the one you recommended or should I find a different AP? I think the previous one I showed you only works wirelessly...


    You can run both.
    A switch for the wired devices downstairs, and an access pint to extend the signal.
    There are devices that do both. Wire from the main router, and 4 ethernet ports and WiFi signal.
Ask a new question

Read More

Routers WiFi Ethernet Card Wireless Network Cable