Solved

A question regarding RAM slots

Hi,

Is there any restrictions in using the two slots for the RAM? I mean like both should be of same size or same bus speed etc.
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about question ram slots
  1. there is no problem if one is 2 gb abd the other 1 gb.
    although the speed if it is 667 and 800 mhz both should automacticaly syncronize at 667 mhz wich is the lowest.if this is not done automaticaly in the motherboard you might need to set it manualy.
  2. There are some restrictions in using RAM. Both slots could use same or different RAM units. Dealers in RAM units could suggest the best combination which can be used as per the specific details about the system in use.
  3. JOHNN93 said:
    there is no problem if one is 2 gb abd the other 1 gb.
    although the speed if it is 667 and 800 mhz both should automacticaly syncronize at 667 mhz wich is the lowest.if this is not done automaticaly in the motherboard you might need to set it manualy.


    So that means as I currently have a 4GB one with 1333Mhz i can possibly add another stick of 2 GB which should be atleast 1333Mhz to retain the existing speed?
  4. talktoarnab said:
    JOHNN93 said:
    there is no problem if one is 2 gb abd the other 1 gb.
    although the speed if it is 667 and 800 mhz both should automacticaly syncronize at 667 mhz wich is the lowest.if this is not done automaticaly in the motherboard you might need to set it manualy.


    So that means as I currently have a 4GB one with 1333Mhz i can possibly add another stick of 2 GB which should be atleast 1333Mhz to retain the existing speed?


    yes best is to buy the same model if possible because if you mix rams they will work but sometimes you dont know what happens if you cant ind the same a least try to find same speeds timming and voltage.best is if you buy from the same manufacture.
  5. I have this board

    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H61M_LX/#specifications

    the RAM is ZION 4GB 1333 Mhz

    Please suggest how should i go ahead with upgrade to 6 or 8 Gigs
  6. JOHNN93 said:
    talktoarnab said:
    JOHNN93 said:
    there is no problem if one is 2 gb abd the other 1 gb.
    although the speed if it is 667 and 800 mhz both should automacticaly syncronize at 667 mhz wich is the lowest.if this is not done automaticaly in the motherboard you might need to set it manualy.


    So that means as I currently have a 4GB one with 1333Mhz i can possibly add another stick of 2 GB which should be atleast 1333Mhz to retain the existing speed?


    yes best is to buy the same model if possible because if you mix rams they will work but sometimes you dont know what happens


    Yes, RAMs are the tricky part of the machines that's why giving so much thought abt it.
  7. the motherboard can support up to 8bg per dimm slot.
    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8H61-M_LE_R2.0/H61_2DIMM_QVL.pdf
    these are the tested rams that work.
  8. JOHNN93 said:
    talktoarnab said:
    JOHNN93 said:
    there is no problem if one is 2 gb abd the other 1 gb.
    although the speed if it is 667 and 800 mhz both should automacticaly syncronize at 667 mhz wich is the lowest.if this is not done automaticaly in the motherboard you might need to set it manualy.


    So that means as I currently have a 4GB one with 1333Mhz i can possibly add another stick of 2 GB which should be atleast 1333Mhz to retain the existing speed?


    yes best is to buy the same model if possible because if you mix rams they will work but sometimes you dont know what happens if you cant ind the same a least try to find same speeds timming and voltage.best is if you buy from the same manufacture.


    If I dont get the same manufacturer will size be also a factor.
  9. JOHNN93 said:
    the motherboard can support up to 8bg per dimm slot.
    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8H61-M_LE_R2.0/H61_2DIMM_QVL.pdf
    these are the tested rams that work.


    Thanks a lot.. this really helps. :)
  10. Best answer
    size is not a problem.
    if you have sae speed and the same voltage and timming's you wont experience a problem in theory.
  11. JOHNN93 said:
    size is not a problem.
    if you have sae speed and the same voltage and timming's you wont experience a problem in theory.


    Thanks again..
  12. no problem.its not tricky you just need the time and reaserch;)
  13. JOHNN93 said:
    no problem.its not tricky you just need the time and reaserch;)


    Right brother ;) time and money .. shortage these days :P
  14. true true;)
Ask a new question

Read More

RAM Bus Speed Memory