I3 4340 haswell or 6800k richland apu for my listed needs?

brettk30

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
The rig I wish to build will hold about 6 hard drives as a media storage server, and also hook up to my receiver hopefully via integrated graphics to avoid needing a discrete card for $ and cooling reasons(NEEDS to be a budget build). I am curious if outputting 1080p video and 5.1 sound through onboard hdmi would be best done with an i3 haswell or an a10 richland apu? also what ram would be best speed for my needs? 1866?

this rig will not be used for gaming but will be used to play videos in 1080p to reciever that feeds to a 55" 1080p led lcd samsung tv.

are intel integrated 4600 graphics enough to handle this with ease? and would its low watt usage cause it to last longer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I would consider waiting for a kevari in spring 2014 but I need this rig built by next month most likely

brettk30

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013

Im tempted to get an a10 just because the i3 makes me want to grab a low end i5 for 30 bucks more, but then that makes me want a high end i5... lol

brettk30

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
Would a pentium be considerable? or are their onboard graphics not capable of outputting 1080p?

do the "k" series processors hold any advantage for amd or intel, if I am not going to overclock the ram?

also for the i3, is the "t" series better for a longer lasting cpu? since low watt? (it only hads HD 4400 vs the other cpus have HD 4600 graphics)

i3 is starting to make most sense, I just worry if the fact its a dual core makes it bad in comparison to i5 or a10

sorry if lots of questions, It is overwhelming trying to pick and choose with my budget lol. When I built this rig I did not even question myself buying a 3770k but I do not have that kinda cash at alllll right now. so any insight would be great

"i3 is starting to make most sense, I just worry if the fact its a dual core makes it bad in comparison to i5 or a10"

Now i3-4330 has Hyper-Threading. That means 4 threads. And Intel HD Graphics 4600. And you can control power. Great choice for HTPCs.

logainofhades

Titan
I am unsure of the haswell igp, but the AMD APU's tend to have less cpu usage while watching HD video compared to Intel and using its IGP. Personally, I am not a fan of IGP as it uses system ram to function and needs normally more expensive ram to get the most out of it. Not to mention the fact that you can get a 750k/760k and HD 7750 for about the same cost as an A10 6800k.