Solved

4960x vs 4770k

i have searched and cant find these two going head to head...what is best!
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 4960x 4770k
  1. Best answer
    You are comparing a 1000$ CPU vs 300$ CPU. The 4960X is way better but not worth the price in most cases.
  2. "Way better" depends on usage. why do you need a comparison of these two CPU's? What do you intend to use them for? For a professional situation where the computer is used as a business tool then the extra investment in the 4960x (or an alternative sandy/ivy/xeon hex) may be worth it. If it's just for games then go with a i5/i7 quad.
  3. Man, see the price before asking. Of course the 4960x is better, more than 3 times the price of 4770k!
  4. jpoos said:
    "Way better" depends on usage. why do you need a comparison of these two CPU's? What do you intend to use them for? For a professional situation where the computer is used as a business tool then the extra investment in the 4960x (or an alternative sandy/ivy/xeon hex) may be worth it. If it's just for games then go with a i5/i7 quad.


    well im second guessing my rig... i wanted overkill gaming...im also going to use it for rdp for work but thats pretty much it as of now. i wanted it to be overkill for longevity i dont want to have to mess with it for at least 2 - 3 years and still be able to run ultra settings on newer games like battle field 4

    rampage 4 extreme
    i7 3970
    corsair hydro H110
    samsung 840 pro ssd
    corsair dominator platinum 32 4x8 ddr3 2133mhz ram
    corsair professional series ax 1200
    x2 titans
  5. WOW that is pointless. TOTALLY pointless.

    This makes a lot more sense, just add better fnas to the H110 and also add a chassis you like. Oh and add an HDD.

    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1YF0N
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1YF0N/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1YF0N/benchmarks/

    CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($114.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($183.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($139.08 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($154.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($508.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($508.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($16.00 @ Newegg)
    Total: $2052.00
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-07 05:02 EST-0500)

    Feel free to ask why I chose what I did.

    Keep in mind I suggest you wait on the GTX780s as the R9 290 will force the GTX780s price down.
    And on top of that the GTX780ti is coming out soon.
  6. Novuake said:
    WOW that is pointless. TOTALLY pointless.

    This makes a lot more sense, just add better fnas to the H110 and also add a chassis you like. Oh and add an HDD.

    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1YF0N
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1YF0N/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1YF0N/benchmarks/

    CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($114.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($183.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($139.08 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($154.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($508.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($508.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($16.00 @ Newegg)
    Total: $2052.00
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-07 05:02 EST-0500)

    Feel free to ask why I chose what I did.

    Keep in mind I suggest you wait on the GTX780s as the R9 290 will force the GTX780s price down.
    And on top of that the GTX780ti is coming out soon.


    Sorry I meant the H110 and trooper case... Why did you pick your rig setup like you did?
  7. You are gonna have to be a lot more specific than that?

    Ask with numbered bullets and I will answer as they come. :D
  8. Novuake said:
    You are gonna have to be a lot more specific than that?

    Ask with numbered bullets and I will answer as they come. :D


    1.) why is my setup pointless?
    2.)why your processor
    3.)why your motherboard over the maximus extreme

    I think this is what you meant you numbered bullets... Lol
  9. 1. Its needlessly expensive, you will NEVER us 32GB in gaming for example.
    2. The 4770K is almost as good as 4960x but cost a third of the price.
    3. The 4770K uses a different socket, so had to change the mobo.
    :D You got it perfect.
  10. A
  11. I have an i7-3970x, and find that on average, a small percentage of the cpu is used. most of the time it's idling at 1% and only when I do parallel builds and parallel 7-zip archiving/dearchiving does it peg the cpu.
    parallel processes rather than multithreaded programs (except for prime95 stress test) tend to use more CPU.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs