Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Asrock Xfast ram, How much ram should dedicate?

Last response: in Memory
Share
November 7, 2013 4:07:29 AM

Hey my system currentl runs gskill trident 16gb 2400 gddr3 memory, with an asrock extreme 6 z77 motherboard, I use a 120gb ssd with a 1tb hdd. I have games installed on both the SSD and the HDD.

Will I benefit from using asrock xfast ram disk utility to create a partition for firefox cache, user temporary files, system temporary files,?

also any benefit to enabling IE caching if I only use firefox for the most part?


readyboost is useless because of ssd right? or no?





how big of a ramdisk would be worth me considering? or do I not have enough ram to consider such an idea?


I am not trying to individually place whole games on the drive like some people do with ramdisk, so will it benefit me without doing that?

Best solution

a b } Memory
November 7, 2013 4:13:53 AM
Share

No point in using a RAM disc unless you want to dedicate it for a virtual machine.

Windows will cache all you need to in your RAM by default as needed.
November 7, 2013 5:34:11 AM

ok so no need to consider it?
Related resources
a b } Memory
November 7, 2013 5:57:18 AM

Nope, you don't :D 
November 12, 2013 4:37:55 PM

I disagree

You will benefit from it. Speed wise not much, but using it for temporary files will save your SSD the unnecessary read and writes (making it last longer).

1-2GB should be more than enough (Photoshop would like more & would be benefit from the extra speed)
a b } Memory
November 12, 2013 9:23:41 PM

minooch said:
I disagree

You will benefit from it. Speed wise not much, but using it for temporary files will save your SSD the unnecessary read and writes (making it last longer).

1-2GB should be more than enough (Photoshop would like more & would be benefit from the extra speed)


All of that is automatically done by Windows if you disable the temp page and temp files in Windows as should be done for anyone installing an SSD.
November 13, 2013 1:17:07 AM

Shit I have an ssd! I kept reading that putting page file on the RAM using xfast ram was bad, so I stopped looking into things to do with the page file. So how do I go about eliminating these files and am I stupid for not doing it sooner to preserve my ssd? its been over a year its been used and i have 16 gb of ram that NEVER has gone above 37% use i dont believe, leave when ive been watching resource monitor and watching stuff.
November 13, 2013 3:49:03 AM

"Most of the tips from the OCZ Blog site are covered in the SSD Review site, so I don’t use them. BTW, I do not touch my pagefile!"
thats from your direct link without clicking the links on his page, his first post?
a b } Memory
November 13, 2013 4:55:31 AM

brettk30 said:
"Most of the tips from the OCZ Blog site are covered in the SSD Review site, so I don’t use them. BTW, I do not touch my pagefile!"
thats from your direct link without clicking the links on his page, his first post?


I do not agree with that bit. But yeah, up to you. :) 
November 13, 2013 5:14:11 AM

hmmm alright ill read all the links more in depth and see if I can come to a choice :p 
a b } Memory
November 13, 2013 5:17:26 AM

brettk30 said:
hmmm alright ill read all the links more in depth and see if I can come to a choice :p 


Good idea, the more you know the better.
Nothing quite like an informed decision. :) 
November 13, 2013 4:56:45 PM

"All of that is automatically done by Windows if you disable the temp page and temp files in Windows as should be done for anyone installing an SSD. " does this mean disable pagefile and disable indexing? or is there more temp files as well I need to battle?
November 13, 2013 5:00:35 PM

because asrock xfast ram lists "system temporary files" , "user temporary files", and "memory pagefile" as options
!