Solved

Upgrading to a SSD from my HDD, can I still use my retail Windows 7 on the new drive?

So I guess I can only have 1 copy of my Windows 7 active at one time (fair enough), but I have bought a SSD and would like to format my existing HDD and install Windows 7 on the SSD whilst still having access to the HDD space.

Could somebody direct me in the best possible way to do this?

Thanks.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrading ssd hdd retail windows drive
  1. If you add the new drive in and try to install Windows, you can set it to install on the SSD, and you can also delete all the files off your other HDD.
  2. Disconnect the old drive (power) - you can leave it mounted. Install the SSD. Install win 7 onto the SSD. Reconnect the hard drive and be sure to set the bios to boot from the SSD.
  3. P1nnacle said:
    If you add the new drive in and try to install Windows, you can set it to install on the SSD, and you can also delete all the files off your other HDD.


    Without having to deactivate Windows on my HDD first? It'll do it for me?
  4. You shouldn't have to deactivate, at least I never have. I always assumed that when you activate your new copy it checks to make sure another copy isn't in use, but don't know that for sure.
  5. Do you think an easier solution would be to insert the SDD alongside the existing HDD, format the HDD and then choose to reinstall Windows on the SDD?
  6. perspective11 said:
    Do you think an easier solution would be to insert the SDD alongside the existing HDD, format the HDD and then choose to reinstall Windows on the SDD?


    That's how I would do it, otherwise you HDD will have a bunch of clutter that will degrade performance.
  7. If you don't need the data on the hard drive, then sure, format it. Also be sure that only the drive you are installing the OS onto is attached to the motherboard. Install all remaining drives once windows is finished installing.
  8. Hawkeye22 said:
    If you don't need the data on the hard drive, then sure, format it. Also be sure that only the drive you are installing the OS onto is attached to the motherboard. Install all remaining drives once windows is finished installing.


    As I understand, the best way to format a HDD outside of a OS is to boot from the Windows install DVD. Should I format the HDD from the install disc, cancel the install, turn off computer, remove HDD, insert the SSD and then go forward with the install?
  9. Best answer
    Install the SSD only. Run the windows installer from dvd/usb and use the installer to partition and format the SSD and continue with installation. After windows is completely installed, then attach the remaining drives. You can repartition and reformat the remaining drives safely from within windows at that point.
  10. Hawkeye22 said:
    Install the SSD only. Run the windows installer from dvd/usb and use the installer to partition and format the SSD and continue with installation. After windows is completely installed, then attach the remaining drives. You can repartition and reformat the remaining drives safely from within windows at that point.


    Great, thanks for the help Hawkeye22!
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 Hard Drives SSD