Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Expert overclockers pls Help me with my i7-4770k

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
November 7, 2013 12:39:09 PM

Hi i would like some help with overclocking my i7-4770k, i really want to keep a steady and stable 4.5ghz and when ever i think i have done it and got there it likes to show me otherwise grrr..IE since i hit 1.270 vcore it will run AIDA64 for a hours maybe 2.5 hours before crashing..so i move up to 1.275 volts same again so its up to 1.280 where i played bf4 for 2 hours before a BSOD and its just frustrating me now..maybe cos i am a noob overclocker but i have read so much about overclocking and tried to learn so much but its as if theres something i have done wrong or i have missed becourse i dont know as much as you guys.

So please let me tell you what settings i have set and what hardware i have and maybe one of you expert overclockers can help me or show me where i have gone wrong..
Ok i have of course an i7-4770k on a gigabyte GA-Z87x-DH3 motherboard, i have a seasonic 750 80 plus gold psu, 2x asus gtx660 sli, H80i corsair closed water cooler, 12gb corsair vengance pro ram and my over clock settings are as follows and would like it if one of the expert overclockers to take a look at and tell me if i have not set something or i have set something incorrect, because unless i benchmark for 8 hours or i don't play bf4 i have been able to run my pc all day and play "world of tanks" which is the main reason i want the 4.5ghz overclock for the whole day without at crash since i hit a cpu vcore of 1.270....but clearly as bf4 has shown or trying to get a 8 hour benchmark has shown its just not perfectly stable...nearly there but not quite, and this is where i need help...ok settings i have made in my bios are as follows
cpu clock ratio - 45
uncore ratio - 43
vcore - 1.280v
cpu ring - 1.200v
cpu vrin external override 2.100v
dram maually set to 1.500v
3d power control is set to extreme
extreme memory profile i set to X.M.P Profile 1
dram timing i set to quick and also manually entered timings of 9,9,9,24
At a vcore of 1.280v Aida64 is hitting a max of 88-89c in bf4 hottest temp real temp showed during game play was 80c..playing world of tanks at a vcore of 1.280, max temp real temp recorded has been 67c..the reson i would like to keep a stabe 4.5ghz is that worl of tanks is my favorite game and it does not support multicore so it grabs hold of one core and beats the shit out of it..but it like high ghz cpu,s...so if someone could help me achieve this and check my settings i would be more than gratfull.
a b K Overclocking
November 7, 2013 1:00:34 PM

What is the BSOD message? It may be related to a memory OC if you have one as I believe Haswell is one of those architectures that need RAM clock balanced with the CPU. (Also, your memory won't be running in triple channel, it will be dual channel +1 assuming that you have 3x 4GB sticks.)

You may also have found the limits of your CPU. I know mine won't pull 4.9GHz and be stable (w/ insane voltage), but it runs almost everything just fine (occasional BSOD during intense games and apps, so I'm now at 4.8GHz) so you might need more voltage to secure 4.5GHz, but at those temps I don't know if you want to.
m
0
l
November 7, 2013 1:21:17 PM

lawson7086 said:
Hi i would like some help with overclocking my i7-4770k, i really want to keep a steady and stable 4.5ghz and when ever i think i have done it and got there it likes to show me otherwise grrr..IE since i hit 1.270 vcore it will run AIDA64 for a hours maybe 2.5 hours before crashing..so i move up to 1.275 volts same again so its up to 1.280 where i played bf4 for 2 hours before a BSOD and its just frustrating me now..maybe cos i am a noob overclocker but i have read so much about overclocking and tried to learn so much but its as if theres something i have done wrong or i have missed becourse i dont know as much as you guys.

So please let me tell you what settings i have set and what hardware i have and maybe one of you expert overclockers can help me or show me where i have gone wrong..
Ok i have of course an i7-4770k on a gigabyte GA-Z87x-DH3 motherboard, i have a seasonic 750 80 plus gold psu, 2x asus gtx660 sli, H80i corsair closed water cooler, 12gb corsair vengance pro ram and my over clock settings are as follows and would like it if one of the expert overclockers to take a look at and tell me if i have not set something or i have set something incorrect, because unless i benchmark for 8 hours or i don't play bf4 i have been able to run my pc all day and play "world of tanks" which is the main reason i want the 4.5ghz overclock for the whole day without at crash since i hit a cpu vcore of 1.270....but clearly as bf4 has shown or trying to get a 8 hour benchmark has shown its just not perfectly stable...nearly there but not quite, and this is where i need help...ok settings i have made in my bios are as follows
cpu clock ratio - 45
uncore ratio - 43
vcore - 1.280v
cpu ring - 1.200v
cpu vrin external override 2.100v
dram maually set to 1.500v
3d power control is set to extreme
extreme memory profile i set to X.M.P Profile 1
dram timing i set to quick and also manually entered timings of 9,9,9,24
At a vcore of 1.280v Aida64 is hitting a max of 88-89c in bf4 hottest temp real temp showed during game play was 80c..playing world of tanks at a vcore of 1.280, max temp real temp recorded has been 67c..the reson i would like to keep a stabe 4.5ghz is that worl of tanks is my favorite game and it does not support multicore so it grabs hold of one core and beats the shit out of it..but it like high ghz cpu,s...so if someone could help me achieve this and check my settings i would be more than gratfull.


PyjamasCat said:
What is the BSOD message? It may be related to a memory OC if you have one as I believe Haswell is one of those architectures that need RAM clock balanced with the CPU. (Also, your memory won't be running in triple channel, it will be dual channel +1 assuming that you have 3x 4GB sticks.)

You may also have found the limits of your CPU. I know mine won't pull 4.9GHz and be stable (w/ insane voltage), but it runs almost everything just fine (occasional BSOD during intense games and apps, so I'm now at 4.8GHz) so you might need more voltage to secure 4.5GHz, but at those temps I don't know if you want to.

Sometimes i don't get BSOD in bf4 sometimes it just may freeze and when i have had a BSOD it has said about unrecoverable hardware error...also as for my ram i don't think its overclocked the ram i have is Corsair Vengeance Pro CMY8GX3M2A1866C9 with a speed rating of PC3-15000 (1866MHz), SPD Speed 1333MHz, Tested Speed 1866MHz, Tested Latency 9-10-9-27, SPD Latency 9-9-9-24 and i have it set in the 9-9-9-24 timings maybe thats where i am going wrong? maybe i should set it to the 9-10-9-27 settings? ..however i didnt think my settings had my ram overclocked at all i thought my settings to the ram had just made it stable and not overclocked and set a stable voltage to it?..as for duel channel yes i guess you are right i have 3 sticks of 4gb ram in 3 different slots
m
0
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
November 7, 2013 1:44:44 PM

lawson7086 said:

Sometimes i don't get BSOD in bf4 sometimes it just may freeze and when i have had a BSOD it has said about unrecoverable hardware error...also as for my ram i don't think its overclocked the ram i have is Corsair Vengeance Pro CMY8GX3M2A1866C9 with a speed rating of PC3-15000 (1866MHz), SPD Speed 1333MHz, Tested Speed 1866MHz, Tested Latency 9-10-9-27, SPD Latency 9-9-9-24 and i have it set in the 9-9-9-24 timings maybe thats where i am going wrong? maybe i should set it to the 9-10-9-27 settings? ..however i didnt think my settings had my ram overclocked at all i thought my settings to the ram had just made it stable and not overclocked and set a stable voltage to it?..as for duel channel yes i guess you are right i have 3 sticks of 4gb ram in 3 different slots


Unrecoverable Hardware Error can be related to the Mobo or CPU. So, adjusting the RAM TRAS back to 27 might be a good idea. You could also try removing the odd stick. If you can't push the voltage any higher safely you'll have to reduce the clock on the CPU.


m
0
l
November 7, 2013 2:15:49 PM

PyjamasCat said:
lawson7086 said:

Sometimes i don't get BSOD in bf4 sometimes it just may freeze and when i have had a BSOD it has said about unrecoverable hardware error...also as for my ram i don't think its overclocked the ram i have is Corsair Vengeance Pro CMY8GX3M2A1866C9 with a speed rating of PC3-15000 (1866MHz), SPD Speed 1333MHz, Tested Speed 1866MHz, Tested Latency 9-10-9-27, SPD Latency 9-9-9-24 and i have it set in the 9-9-9-24 timings maybe thats where i am going wrong? maybe i should set it to the 9-10-9-27 settings? ..however i didnt think my settings had my ram overclocked at all i thought my settings to the ram had just made it stable and not overclocked and set a stable voltage to it?..as for duel channel yes i guess you are right i have 3 sticks of 4gb ram in 3 different slots


Unrecoverable Hardware Error can be related to the Mobo or CPU. So, adjusting the RAM TRAS back to 27 might be a good idea. You could also try removing the odd stick. If you can't push the voltage any higher safely you'll have to reduce the clock on the CPU.



Thanks for your reply and sorry for the noob question but how do i set the ram tras back to 27? is that by un-selecting X.M.P profile or are you asking me to manually set the timing to 9-10-9-27?...also i would be happy to push on the voltage to 1.290-1.300v max cos in real world game playing it does not get as hot as the bench marking as long as i can keep real world gaming below 80-85 i don't think as i have read i will do any damage to my cpu?...so do you think its simply a case of more vcore voltage?...i just found it strange that as long as i didn't play bf4 for many hours or try to get a 8 hour bench mark in i could play world of tanks for hours on end and use my pc all-day long without a BSOD or a freeze up at 4.5ghz since i hit 1.270v....its as if there was something in my settings that were upsetting my overclock and this is why i have posted on here to see if anyone can check my settings or see anything that i have done wrong or suggest new settings or ideas...as i said i am a noob overclocker all the settings i have made are from my interpretation from overclocking haswell guides i have read.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
November 7, 2013 2:54:13 PM

lawson7086 said:

Thanks for your reply and sorry for the noob question but how do i set the ram tras back to 27? is that by un-selecting X.M.P profile or are you asking me to manually set the timing to 9-10-9-27?...also i would be happy to push on the voltage to 1.290-1.300v max cos in real world game playing it does not get as hot as the bench marking as long as i can keep real world gaming below 80-85 i don't think as i have read i will do any damage to my cpu?...so do you think its simply a case of more vcore voltage?...i just found it strange that as long as i didn't play bf4 for many hours or try to get a 8 hour bench mark in i could play world of tanks for hours on end and use my pc all-day long without a BSOD or a freeze up at 4.5ghz since i hit 1.270v....its as if there was something in my settings that were upsetting my overclock and this is why i have posted on here to see if anyone can check my settings or see anything that i have done wrong or suggest new settings or ideas...as i said i am a noob overclocker all the settings i have made are from my interpretation from overclocking haswell guides i have read.


Don't worry about asking "noob" questions. It's all a part of learning.

Now, it would be easier to deselect the XMP profile, but if you wanted to manually control it that is okay too. (And just stick to those four available timings for now. The more advanced timing get can tricky.)

If you want to push your voltages higher, make sure your cooler can keep up. Also read this if you haven't already. Great tips in there.

You could also add a small amount of voltage to the IMC. (Maybe 0.05-0.15 at the most.)

Overclocking take a fair amount of time and practice. I'm still OCing my PC after 7 months of having built it. (Although there have been a lot of changes to hardware throughout that time.) You also need to know, not all hardware is the same. Like people you have to know how it works and reacts to different things, treat it how it wants to be treated and you'll get the best return. So for instance, you wouldn't send your kids (CPU) to school (apparently intensive task) with little lunch (voltage) and expect perfect performance. There are tons of other settings that will have similar effects, so you would really need to have a good read up and play (but don't play with people like that haha). Keep trying. It sounds like you might be on the fence with the stability (about to hit stable but a small thing keeping you off balance).

If you can't get it to work, how much extra performance do you need? Could you try OCing RAM a little while being on 4.4GHz? That would still provide some benefit.
m
0
l
November 8, 2013 12:07:08 PM

PyjamasCat said:
lawson7086 said:

Thanks for your reply and sorry for the noob question but how do i set the ram tras back to 27? is that by un-selecting X.M.P profile or are you asking me to manually set the timing to 9-10-9-27?...also i would be happy to push on the voltage to 1.290-1.300v max cos in real world game playing it does not get as hot as the bench marking as long as i can keep real world gaming below 80-85 i don't think as i have read i will do any damage to my cpu?...so do you think its simply a case of more vcore voltage?...i just found it strange that as long as i didn't play bf4 for many hours or try to get a 8 hour bench mark in i could play world of tanks for hours on end and use my pc all-day long without a BSOD or a freeze up at 4.5ghz since i hit 1.270v....its as if there was something in my settings that were upsetting my overclock and this is why i have posted on here to see if anyone can check my settings or see anything that i have done wrong or suggest new settings or ideas...as i said i am a noob overclocker all the settings i have made are from my interpretation from overclocking haswell guides i have read.


Don't worry about asking "noob" questions. It's all a part of learning.

Now, it would be easier to deselect the XMP profile, but if you wanted to manually control it that is okay too. (And just stick to those four available timings for now. The more advanced timing get can tricky.)

If you want to push your voltages higher, make sure your cooler can keep up. Also read this if you haven't already. Great tips in there.

You could also add a small amount of voltage to the IMC. (Maybe 0.05-0.15 at the most.)

Overclocking take a fair amount of time and practice. I'm still OCing my PC after 7 months of having built it. (Although there have been a lot of changes to hardware throughout that time.) You also need to know, not all hardware is the same. Like people you have to know how it works and reacts to different things, treat it how it wants to be treated and you'll get the best return. So for instance, you wouldn't send your kids (CPU) to school (apparently intensive task) with little lunch (voltage) and expect perfect performance. There are tons of other settings that will have similar effects, so you would really need to have a good read up and play (but don't play with people like that haha). Keep trying. It sounds like you might be on the fence with the stability (about to hit stable but a small thing keeping you off balance).

If you can't get it to work, how much extra performance do you need? Could you try OCing RAM a little while being on 4.4GHz? That would still provide some benefit.

Hi yes i am going to try to get a stable overclock at 4.4ghz...i have given up on 4.5ghz although i was so close as i said could run world of tanks all day long without a crash but i just could not complte an 8 hour stress test so clearly it was not stable , and i want it stable...
Yesterday i went to the gigabyte web site and found they had a new bios and i installed that however it seemed to make my over clocking profiles i had made even worse..the settings i could benchmark for quite a few hours before a BSOD where happening in seconds?...anyhow i uninstalled it and went back to my old bios...also i have noticed something very strange it was happening on the new bios the same as it happens on the old bios, and that is when i put the vrin up from 1.9v to 2.1v my temps drop by about 7c-10c which makes not sense what so ever but it is a fact and it happened also with the new bios...anyone have a clue as to why that would be?...i have also found a web site where gigabyte release beta bios and i was thinking of giving them a go?

PyjamasCat just to let you know i have now got a stable 4.4ghz according to 20 runs of IntelBurnTest, i ended up with Vcore 1.250 and vrin of 1.90v and cache ring bus at 1.20v....and i am very happy with that....now i do remember you saying something about overclocking the ram...so could you please point me in the right direction on how to do that please :sarcastic: 
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
November 10, 2013 11:12:27 AM

lawson7086 said:

PyjamasCat just to let you know i have now got a stable 4.4ghz according to 20 runs of IntelBurnTest, i ended up with Vcore 1.250 and vrin of 1.90v and cache ring bus at 1.20v....and i am very happy with that....now i do remember you saying something about overclocking the ram...so could you please point me in the right direction on how to do that please :sarcastic: 


You will find next to no benefit in gaming and general use. You will find some performance improvement in other areas however (as long as they are CPU and Memory Demanding).

What is your RAM and what is it rated to run at? (what are the XMP profile settings?)
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 11:56:34 AM

PyjamasCat said:
lawson7086 said:

PyjamasCat just to let you know i have now got a stable 4.4ghz according to 20 runs of IntelBurnTest, i ended up with Vcore 1.250 and vrin of 1.90v and cache ring bus at 1.20v....and i am very happy with that....now i do remember you saying something about overclocking the ram...so could you please point me in the right direction on how to do that please :sarcastic: 


You will find next to no benefit in gaming and general use. You will find some performance improvement in other areas however (as long as they are CPU and Memory Demanding).

What is your RAM and what is it rated to run at? (what are the XMP profile settings?)

Hi PyjamasCat
Corsair Vengeance Pro Series DDR3-1866MHz and i have 4 sticks of 4gb each...i have another stick of 4gb arriving on monday/thusday...hey i also just posted this in the Hi PyjamasCat
Corsair Vengeance Pro Series DDR3-1866MHz and i have 3 sticks of 4gb each...i have another stick of 4gb arriving on monday/thusday xmp says .9-10-9-27 but i have wrote in 9-9-9-24 as the say thats the spd speed on them..which should i chosse with them spd of 9-10-9-27?..hey i also just posted this in the grafics card section...i was wondering if you might have a clue with whats going on here? card section...i was wondering if you might have a clue with whats going on here?
Hi does anyone have any surgetions as tp why in BF4 and only while i have pushed the ESC button to pause the game i sometimes get this mesage....Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered...btw i only know this has happened becaurse cos i have to hard rest my pc...as the scren goes black with a big mouse arrow in the middle of this screen and i cant alt tab out or bring up task manager or do anything...i have to hard rest and i see that the display driver had crashed becaurse i look in event log on a reboot....also last night i had this message while playing BF4 (DirectX Error
DirectX function "GetDeviceRemovedReason" failed with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG("The application's device failed due to
badly formed commands sent by the application.This is an design-time issue that should be investigated and fixed.").GPU:
"NVIDIA GeForeceGtx 660 )
my computer is brand new with a i7-4770 cpu it is over clocked to 4.4ghz...and is stabe in everyother game and i have never had a BSOD with my over clock...i have 2 new asus direct2 oc gtx660 and a seasonic 750 80 PLUS GOLD PSU...my cards are sometimes over clocked with asus gpu tweak and only to the gaming profile asus has made in there...i have not made my own overclock with them....one card i have notied runs at 72C when playing bf4 is this to hot?....also both my cards are asus gtx 660 direct 2 oc...but one is much longer than the other which i find is stange here is the link to one of them https://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/GTX660DC2OCPH2GD5/ this is the short card..and here is a link to the much longer card...both have the same specs and are called gtx 660 direct 2 oc...here is the link to the longer card with a bigger longer heatsink http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/GTX660DC2O2GD5/...th... differnce is also with the model numbers one is called (GTX660-DC2OCPH-2GD5) thats the shorter card..and this is the bigger cards model mumber (GTX660-DC2O-2GD5)....any help would be much appreciated


m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
November 10, 2013 12:45:27 PM

First of all, use the Asus Tweak program to set the GPU's to stock/default. It is likely that one of your GPU's doesn't want to OC anymore than the factory OC. If that does not help, reinstalling/updating drivers might.

For the RAM, that is a good frequency already. You might be able to bump it up further though.

2133MHz
CAS 10
tRAS 11
tRP 10
tRCD 30
Command Rate 2T or 2N initially, and if that is stable you can try lower it to 1T or 1N.

If you don't want to increase the frequency, lowering the timings to 9 9 9 24 like it was rated is good also, but is this for 1866MHz or 1600MHz?
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 2:12:44 PM

PyjamasCat said:
First of all, use the Asus Tweak program to set the GPU's to stock/default. It is likely that one of your GPU's doesn't want to OC anymore than the factory OC. If that does not help, reinstalling/updating drivers might.

For the RAM, that is a good frequency already. You might be able to bump it up further though.

2133MHz
CAS 10
tRAS 11
tRP 10
tRCD 30
Command Rate 2T or 2N initially, and if that is stable you can try lower it to 1T or 1N.

If you don't want to increase the frequency, lowering the timings to 9 9 9 24 like it was rated is good also, but is this for 1866MHz or 1600MHz?

now i have just had this message pop up on my screen?

"Windows has detected your computer's performance is slow. This could be because there are not enough resources to run the Windows Aero color scheme. To improve performance, try changing the color scheme to Windows 7 Basic. Any change you make will be in effect until the next time you log on to Windows" how can i get this when i have 2x gtx660 ditrect 2 oc with 2gigs of ddr5 ram each?....can someone please help me understand which memory windows is referring to and why i am getting this message thanks
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
November 10, 2013 3:20:20 PM

Yes, you have tons of graphics power and running Aero should not be a problem.

So which parts have you done?

GPUs back to stock?
Re-installing GPU drivers?
Overclocking RAM?

This would be very helpful to know. Although I can guess you might need to re-installed the drivers after reducing the overclock to default. Remove Asus Tweaker, uninstall Nvidia drivers, reinstall Nvidia drivers and Asus Tweak, but don't let Asus Tweak auto-overclock (if it does that).

Don't do this yet. Need some more info from you first, but this is likely the issue. You can try updating nvidia drivers first too.
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 3:38:12 PM

PyjamasCat said:
Yes, you have tons of graphics power and running Aero should not be a problem.

So which parts have you done?

GPUs back to stock?
Re-installing GPU drivers?
Overclocking RAM?

This would be very helpful to know. Although I can guess you might need to re-installed the drivers after reducing the overclock to default. Remove Asus Tweaker, uninstall Nvidia drivers, reinstall Nvidia drivers and Asus Tweak, but don't let Asus Tweak auto-overclock (if it does that).

Don't do this yet. Need some more info from you first, but this is likely the issue. You can try updating nvidia drivers first too.

i haven't done anything yet i just received this message also saying that my system was critically low on resources please close applications to free up memory...then i have just looked into event veiwer and seen this..
Windows successfully diagnosed a low virtual memory condition. The following programs consumed the most virtual memory: avp.exe (1184) consumed 338051072 bytes, Origin.exe (8176) consumed 204312576 bytes, and chrome.exe (6592) consumed 186806272 bytes
Right now i am downloading bf3 onto my ssd....which is my C drive and has 83 gig of space free..do i need to move my virtual ram onto my 2tb second hard drive?
btw gpu,s are at stock and ram is stock at 18.000mhz....funny how it said graphics memory is low and now my PC ram is low???
right now another pop up has just come up saying......close programs to prevent information loss-your computer is low on memory..save your files and close these program...skype and google chrome
what the hell is going on task manager says 4.8gb of ram is being used from the 12gb installed

PyjamasCat i have totally removed all page files from my SSD which is my C drive and put 36gb which is what windows 7 seems to want out of me onto my second 2tb hard drive...but with 12gb of ram installed and a new 4gb stick arriving on Monday i don't think i will need any virtual page files anywhere...anyhow i now also don't believe the windows aero message was related to my lack of memory on my graphics card and with the memory pop ups i got after that and the logs i read in event viewer i quickly and i think correctly determined it was running out of virtual ram on my 250GB SSD C drive, which was the only place my windows had page files set up in, and i think as origin was filling my ssd up with games i was downloading like bf3 it was running out of the page files it had on drive C...so i moved all page file to my 2tb drive...i wonder if when i get 16gb of ram i can turn them all of...it should run even faster then?
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
November 10, 2013 6:20:41 PM

lawson7086 said:

i haven't done anything yet i just received this message also saying that my system was critically low on resources please close applications to free up memory...then i have just looked into event veiwer and seen this..
Windows successfully diagnosed a low virtual memory condition. The following programs consumed the most virtual memory: avp.exe (1184) consumed 338051072 bytes, Origin.exe (8176) consumed 204312576 bytes, and chrome.exe (6592) consumed 186806272 bytes
Right now i am downloading bf3 onto my ssd....which is my C drive and has 83 gig of space free..do i need to move my virtual ram onto my 2tb second hard drive?
btw gpu,s are at stock and ram is stock at 18.000mhz....funny how it said graphics memory is low and now my PC ram is low???
right now another pop up has just come up saying......close programs to prevent information loss-your computer is low on memory..save your files and close these program...skype and google chrome
what the hell is going on task manager says 4.8gb of ram is being used from the 12gb installed

PyjamasCat i have totally removed all page files from my SSD which is my C drive and put 36gb which is what windows 7 seems to want out of me onto my second 2tb hard drive...but with 12gb of ram installed and a new 4gb stick arriving on Monday i don't think i will need any virtual page files anywhere...anyhow i now also don't believe the windows aero message was related to my lack of memory on my graphics card and with the memory pop ups i got after that and the logs i read in event viewer i quickly and i think correctly determined it was running out of virtual ram on my 250GB SSD C drive, which was the only place my windows had page files set up in, and i think as origin was filling my ssd up with games i was downloading like bf3 it was running out of the page files it had on drive C...so i moved all page file to my 2tb drive...i wonder if when i get 16gb of ram i can turn them all of...it should run even faster then?


When did this all start happening?

Anyway, you shouldn't need much pagefile at all. Maybe 12GB at the most (although most suggest 1.5x your total RAM I have a 4GB PF on my SSD and another 4GB on an HDD). Also did you restarted after changing pagefile sizes/locations?

If something is draining your system of resouces, you should run Malware Bytes to check for any virus/malware which could be the cause. Remove only the default checked items. Hopefully this will find something causing memory issues. Also look out for any unwanted programs or programs which you think may be the cause.

Next I would reinstall your graphics drivers.

Also you could Google search your current hotfixes/windows updates to see if any have cause issues with other users (although I think this is unlikely.)

If none of this does anything, you may want to back-up your data and do a fresh install. But check for malware/viruses/programs first.
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 6:40:11 PM

PyjamasCat said:
lawson7086 said:

i haven't done anything yet i just received this message also saying that my system was critically low on resources please close applications to free up memory...then i have just looked into event veiwer and seen this..
Windows successfully diagnosed a low virtual memory condition. The following programs consumed the most virtual memory: avp.exe (1184) consumed 338051072 bytes, Origin.exe (8176) consumed 204312576 bytes, and chrome.exe (6592) consumed 186806272 bytes
Right now i am downloading bf3 onto my ssd....which is my C drive and has 83 gig of space free..do i need to move my virtual ram onto my 2tb second hard drive?
btw gpu,s are at stock and ram is stock at 18.000mhz....funny how it said graphics memory is low and now my PC ram is low???
right now another pop up has just come up saying......close programs to prevent information loss-your computer is low on memory..save your files and close these program...skype and google chrome
what the hell is going on task manager says 4.8gb of ram is being used from the 12gb installed

PyjamasCat i have totally removed all page files from my SSD which is my C drive and put 36gb which is what windows 7 seems to want out of me onto my second 2tb hard drive...but with 12gb of ram installed and a new 4gb stick arriving on Monday i don't think i will need any virtual page files anywhere...anyhow i now also don't believe the windows aero message was related to my lack of memory on my graphics card and with the memory pop ups i got after that and the logs i read in event viewer i quickly and i think correctly determined it was running out of virtual ram on my 250GB SSD C drive, which was the only place my windows had page files set up in, and i think as origin was filling my ssd up with games i was downloading like bf3 it was running out of the page files it had on drive C...so i moved all page file to my 2tb drive...i wonder if when i get 16gb of ram i can turn them all of...it should run even faster then?


When did this all start happening?

Anyway, you shouldn't need much pagefile at all. Maybe 12GB at the most (although most suggest 1.5x your total RAM I have a 4GB PF on my SSD and another 4GB on an HDD). Also did you restarted after changing pagefile sizes/locations?

If something is draining your system of resouces, you should run Malware Bytes to check for any virus/malware which could be the cause. Remove only the default checked items. Hopefully this will find something causing memory issues. Also look out for any unwanted programs or programs which you think may be the cause.

Next I would reinstall your graphics drivers.

Also you could Google search your current hotfixes/windows updates to see if any have cause issues with other users (although I think this is unlikely.)

If none of this does anything, you may want to back-up your data and do a fresh install. But check for malware/viruses/programs first.

All this started happening when i was on the desktop doing nothing but my pc was downloading BF3 to my SSD which i have as my C drive...however i now believe that i was getting these windows memory pop ups cos windows had placed 32.gb of virtual page files on my C drive..."IE MY SSD" and it was being filled up by me downloading BF3 on origin, i belive this cos i opened up event veiwer and seen this..

("Windows successfully diagnosed a low virtual memory condition. The following programs consumed the most virtual memory: avp.exe (1184) consumed 338051072 bytes, Origin.exe (8176) consumed 204312576 bytes, and chrome.exe (6592) consumed 186806272)

So i have now moved the page files onto my second 2TB hd and told windows never to use C drive for page files and rebooted and everything seems to be fine now...in fact i have read that after 12GB of ram you don't need any page files set and in fact it is faster and more beneficial to completely turn off page files and use your fast ram instead! ....over 12GB of ram window does not need page files...as for my 2 graphics card i believe they are totally fine and to prove that they have just passed a 15 min burn in benchmark with the asus factory overclock turned on via asus tweak on the furmark benchmark-test and passed with flying colours...so i think i have solved all my problems....at least i hope?
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
November 10, 2013 6:55:54 PM

Great! :) 

Try Unengine Heaven as well and run a few games like BF4 to finish stressing the GPUs. Sometimes one program is not enough. I found this out the hard way with Skyrim. At first I thought it was my RAM OC but it was the GPU (I had one at the time) but during some games like Skyrim and Crysis, I would get drivers crashing, random freezing etc.

This should finalize the stability.

Running MalwareBytes couldn't hurt either. I do a regular check every month (or if I think something is wrong), just to be safe.
m
0
l
!