Solved

is it okay to run high end graphics card on a low resolution ?

hey guys
I have a 1366x786 LED monitor

i5-3470

8 gigs of Kingstone VR 1333 Mhz

Asus P8B75-V mobo

Seasonic S12II 520W

I wanna buy an R9 280X card

I was thinkin about the toxic

but t requires 2x8pin , and my PSU got only one 6 pin and another one 8 pin peripherals

is it okay to use a converter , and will my psu handle it ?

and how is the whole situation going using this card on this resolution ?

will the CPU bottleneck ?

Thanks In advance
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about run high end graphics card low resolution
  1. No, running at a lower resolution won't damage anything, you're just wasting potential.

    With 520W you're cutting it really close.
  2. No the i5 wont bottle-neck, Yes converter will work fine I had to split one of my connections running a high end Nvidia, You are kinda cutting it close with the PSU. A lot of guys have been recommending at least 550-600w. Your using a Seasonic which is one of 2 prefered brands, geez thats cutting it close. IMHO I'd get a new one thinking on future upgrades right now your psu seems to be doing the bottle necking. lol. If you do I would just go for a 650w-gold, or 700-750W bronze corsair or Seasonic. If your dead set on getting a 280 might as well try it with your psu and if it doesnt work theres still that option. Res. is fine. ON the 280 the Asus direct CU has a lower temp, and lower power draw than most if not all of the others.
    With using a lower res Im not understanding why you would want to sink money into a 280, you could get away with a 7770 a lot cheaper. Anyways Cpu is a go
    res. is fine
    converter is fine
    psu no go IMHO
  3. I'm not so sure you'd be cutting it close with a 520 watt supply, that's a pretty nice PSU. I wouldn't worry about the power requirement.

    However, I would worry about buying a powerful video card just to run at 1366x768. It seems like a waste since the video card will spend most of it's time waiting around for frame data having only half the pixels of 1080p to push. It won't actually hurt anything, but why not get a 270x or similar and a new monitor?

    I guess you could crank up the AA settings and things to give your video card something to do. You also wouldn't have to worry when you do buy a higher-res monitor about how well your video card would handle the new resolution.
  4. danscan11 said:
    you could get away with a 7770 a lot cheaper.

    Just Sold my Sapphire 7770 GEdition OC , I wanna be more future proof
    ..the card itself draws about 340W at maximum load ..well running on that resolution won't put it in such load right ?
  5. Traciatim said:

    I guess you could crank up the AA settings and things to give your video card something to do. You also wouldn't have to worry when you do buy a higher-res monitor about how well your video card would handle the new resolution.



    sure gotta cranck'em ...if that would hurt the card ( not the AA thing just the card running with nothin to do ) ..can I downclock it ?
  6. danscan11 said:
    ON the 280 the Asus direct CU has a lower temp, and lower power draw than most if not all of the others.



    yeah just checked that it consumes 298W at max load also its 50$ dollars cheaper than the toxic
  7. Best answer
    shehabsaad88 said:

    sure gotta cranck'em ...if that would hurt the card ( not the AA thing just the card running with nothin to do ) ..can I downclock it ?


    don't worry about downclocking - there is no way you will hurt the card running low resolution. however in some games, at that low resolution the cpu may bottleneck but, you'll be getting such high frame rates that it won't matter.


    and btw an overclocked i7-4770K and Oc'd toxic didn't hit 375 total watts for the whole system
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_r9_280x_toxic/16.htm

    just don't worry and enjoy . . .
  8. Oh so your planning on upgrading your display soon I take it? If 340 was what your 7770 was pushing when it was under "heavy lifting" and your not going to be even OCing or pushing its potential. Yes you would be good with your current psu. No I wouldn't under-clock it AMD has a software device built in to where it automatically does it when your just surfing the net and what not but when you get into gaming or video editing stuff it wind's it back up. But your not going to really be pushing it at all when you game with current res.
    If it doesn't if you go into BIOS and look under GPU-BOOST you should be able to set your own frequency there.
  9. danscan11 said:
    Oh so your planning on upgrading your display soon I take it? If 340 was what your 7770 was pushing when it was under "heavy lifting" and your not going to be even OCing or pushing its potential


    No man , I was talkin about the 280 toxic in some reviews it hit up even more than 340W...and about my card I OC'ed it in games like Sleeping Dogs , ARkham City , Metro ..I needed more fps , even my later i3-2120 got bottlenecked in Crysis 2 , when you're runnin on that resolution HD7770 got some work to do I hit 98% GPU usage in most games ...but it's not power hunger at all even in maximum load
  10. qbsinfo said:
    and btw an overclocked i7-4770K and Oc'd toxic didn't hit 375 total watts for the whole system
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_r9_280x_toxic/16.htm

    just don't worry and enjoy . . .


    375W for that system this is really Impressive
    ,,Thanks man Sure I will :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Resolution Graphics Cards Intel i5 Graphics